The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-03-2018, 11:43 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

US Festival '83

Every so often I see posters for concerts and say to myself, Self says I, that would have been fun.

Quote:
At the time, “Woz” was on leave from Apple after surviving a plane crash that left him unable to create new memories for half a year. Hoping to put together the “Super Bowl of Rock Parties” with a lineup of the best acts in rock music, Wozniak teamed up with heavy-hitter San Francisco promoter Bill Graham to help with the booking.

Why did I miss this? Oh yeah, it was in CA, I was 39, married, I just got laid off...

Quote:
“The festival was completely booked,” Fey recalls, “and Van Halen had a favored-nation clause in their contract that said no one could get more than them – and they were getting $1 million. Then Steve came to me and said, ‘God, Barry, I really love David Bowie.’ I say, ‘Steve, there’s no room. Let’s put this to bed.’ And he says, ‘Well, I really do love David … could you try? It is my money and my festival.’” So Fey called Bowie, who was then touring Europe a month after the release of his blockbuster album Let’s Dance. He would return that August for two sold-out shows at Angel Stadium. “David tells me: ‘We’ll have to interrupt our tour and charter a 747 to bring our equipment and get it right back again.’ So I went to Steve: ‘David’s gonna cost you a million and a half, but it’s gonna cost you an extra half a million for Van Halen.’ He just shrugged his shoulders: ‘So?’ The addition of Bowie ultimately cost $2 million.”
Open air, 700,000 people, 112 degrees, two people died, it probably would have been terrible.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:40 AM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Wow

In between Quarterflash and Missing Persons (feat. Terry Bozzio) you might see this little-known act called U2. This was pre-Unforgettable Fire and they were just getting big on the basis of "Sunday Bloody Sunday".

Arguably Quarterflash was a bigger band at the time since they had a #3 hit ("Harden My Heart") while "Sunday Bloody Sunday" only charted to #7. :eyeroll:
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:42 AM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

And, no Who, no Stones, no Springsteen: in the early 80s, it was briefly thought that maybe there would come a time when people would move on from classic rock.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:23 PM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I remember a buddy making fun of A Flock Of Seagulls:

Quote:
A Flock o' Seagulls??? I guess A Box o' Frogs was already taken, then?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:36 PM   #5
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Couple years later on July 13, 1985 there was this...
I was 21 and high as a kite. I think the ticket was like $40 which was BIGLY expensive back then.
Attached Images