The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-22-2007, 09:42 AM   #1
Kitsune
still eats dirt

If you could live in any time/era...

...which would it be?

Mine: the 1900s-1920s, mostly because there was so much discovery to be done by common men and still uncharted terrain left in the world. To actually see the golden age of flight, the time of the dirigible, Alberto Santos-Dumont haphazardly ballooning around Paris and then competing with the Wright Brothers for the first powered flight, as well as the dawn of radio and the time when steam locomotives ruled the land...

...and there was something about that minor influenza bug that went around and something about a skirmish in Europe, but I'm sure none of that would have been a big deal.

Okay, so maybe I'm certain the average life would have been a lot less fulfilling and enjoyable than the romanticized version. "A great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there...?"
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:10 PM   #2
Rexmons
- Kavkaz United -

mine would be the day before the last mega million drawing was.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:20 PM   #3
Nivek
It's a fiendishly complex anagram of my name, Kevin.

I'd want to live a couple hundred years in the future because I'd be blown away by the technology but not so much that I couldn't learn how to use it. Space exploration would hopefully be a lot more popular and maybe I could wing a trip to Mars or something.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
freshnesschronic
Professor

They moment man invented fire, the most useful technology human beings have invented.

Plus, I'd probably be really buff, have a great beard and could thwomp ladies on the head and drag them by their hair. What a simpler life than going through chivalry!
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 03:08 PM   #5
bani

from 1880 more ore less, for the same reasons kitsune writes...

we say "it was better when it was worse" (old nasty people usually say actually), but they had good points! the world was not the mess that actually is, and I'd rather pee in a cold wooden cabin that see the News every day... but then again, I'm telling this to people all around the world, so pros and cons I suppose
Old 07-22-2007, 03:49 PM   #6
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Now, all other time periods would probably suck compared to now if you really lived in them.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 04:30 PM   #7
Rhianne
Nearly done.

I'd like to have lived about four-and-a-half thousand years ago when God created the earth and man. I'd love to find out who Adam and Eve's children had sex with.
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 04:52 PM   #8
be-bop
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianne View Post
I'd like to have lived about four-and-a-half thousand years ago when God created the earth and man. I'd love to find out who Adam and Eve's children had sex with.

It say's here how it happened

http://www.answersingenesis.org/home...cains_wife.asp
be-bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 06:02 PM   #9
Ibby
erika

Either late 19th century, or the 60s through the 80s
Old 07-23-2007, 10:55 AM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I think I could only be truly satisfied with some other time period, if I didn't remember this one ... Colonial America didn't have high speed internet or flush toilets.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:04 AM   #11
Cloud

right now right here.

Almost no other place in history can a woman live alone and support herself.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:57 PM   #12
be-bop
Operations Operative

Looking at the past is one thing but actually living there(if it was possible) would be too alien,could you imagine living in some cold damp house with no central heating electricity etc etc in say the
1880's ok roughing it for a week or so but after that well..
I remember asking my Gran if she missed the"old days"what she said surprised me but i can see her point she said "people go on about the good old days,but there was nothing good about them too much hard work and heartache"Sensible woman my Gran..
be-bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #13
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

In the movie Zodiac, they made of point of showing what the technology (or lack thereof) of the 60's and early 70's was like. Jake Gyllenhaal's character had to go home to wait for a phone call...he used the library a lot...one police department didn't have a 'telefax' so they had to have files sent to them by regular mail.

But back then, there were no video games (except Pong ), so it was more fun for us kids to play outside than to stay inside. We could walk to school or to the store by ourselves, without our parents worrying about us being abducted by some crazy person (generally). It was before cable TV, so the Saturday morning cartoon lineup was something special to look forward to. I think I'd want to go back to that time, as a kid again.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:03 PM   #14
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

If I could choose my station in life, I'd like to experience either the late seventh/early eightth century, round about the time of the Venerable Bede, as the concept of an 'English' people is being born and their own sense of history is weighted by several centuries; or, I'd like to live in the 19th Century, in the Industrial North, see the development of a working class consciousness.

But.....if I can't choose my station in life, I stay right where I am :P The past ain't pretty if you're a working class girl.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:06 AM   #15
rkzenrage

After whenever they make available the cure for whatever the core issue with my health is.