The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-13-2015, 06:42 AM   #61
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

As Glatt said... It's all OK
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:10 AM   #62
infinite monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
As Glatt said... It's all OK
This is true. My apologies, Lamp.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:46 AM   #63
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I, for one, support the immediate enactment of not only martial law here in the cellar but also the ability for citizen's banning.

I'll start with myself.

eta: And a strict curfew!
Old 02-13-2015, 09:50 AM   #64
infinite monkey

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:52 PM   #65
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
barely disguised asshole, a keeper of all that is holy.
Totally snatching that one. Shoe fits and all...
Old 02-13-2015, 08:10 PM   #66
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
... but also the ability for citizen's banning.

I'll start with myself.
If you leave, we will track you down and haul you back. It will be easy. Nobody else leaves a trail of three feet.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:09 PM   #67
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post

eta: And a strict curfew!
No curfews! Only Sergei Polunin dancing to Hozier. That should be sufficient.

Somone far smarter than I will embed the relevant video of Sergei dancing. Everyone should watch it just to appreciate this man's ability to jump. Although I've seen the same and better from other Ukes who weren't classically trained, but could really use what they were given.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:09 PM   #68
Lamplighter

This one ?

Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:24 PM   #69
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Yes, that's the one. Toward the end (3:49-3:51) he does a pair of jumps and in the second, he rotates his takeoff leg (right) over his left and lands on it. Very cool.

I've seen Ukrainian dancers in Hamilton and Toronto who did the same strength moves as Polunin, and jumps you would not believe. There's some genetic magic in that ethnic group.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:23 AM   #70
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
It's been pointed out to me that my comments might be too harsh coming from a mod. I want to be clear that I'm not speaking as a mod here.
Yo, get off that high horse, being a moderator is being a flunky, you work for us, minion.
What you post doesn't carry any more weight than anyone else's opinion. It's only things you DO in administrative duties, that means more. Other than that, you're just another member shooting from the hip like the rest of us.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:26 AM   #71
glatt

Thank you. I'm one of youse guys.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:34 AM   #72
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You is, you is.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:51 PM   #73
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

[humor]

Quote:
I’m an Anti-Braker, gravity is all I need

Guys, I wanted to let you know about a personal decision I recently made. I don’t really feel like discussing it, but I want to put my position out there. Please be respectful. This is a really long post, but please read the whole thing.

I’m taking the brakes off my car. This isn’t a rash decision, so please listen up.

A few weeks ago I saw a car accident – two people went through an intersection at the same time. Both slammed on their brakes at the same time and collided. Fortunately no one was seriously injured.

But then it occurred to me – if they had just gone through the intersection, they wouldn’t have collided. The brakes CAUSED the accident!

So, I decided to do my own research and what I found was *staggering*: Hundreds of people every year are seriously injured by unnecessary braking. One time, I was driving in the snow and I just lightly tapped by brakes and it caused my car to COMPLETELY LOSE CONTROL. My brakes could have very easily gotten me killed. Even more astoundingly is how often brake pads will warp and distort rotors, causing bumpy rides and squeaky wheels.

And you know what? I also found that decades ago brakes weren’t even used! People would control their vehicle’s speed with downshifting and engine braking. Maybe it’s just coincidence, but back when engine braking was used there were almost no automotive fatalities. There were NEVER brake caused car accidents.

After doing some more digging, I found a nefarious plot – Mechanics: The very people who we trust to work on and care for our cars – get PAID to install and change brakes! You might THINK they care about our safety, or our cars – but they’re just in it for the $49.99 brake pad installations.

So I talked to my Mechanic about taking the brakes off my car and I was disgusted by how poorly he treated me. He accused me of being ignorant, when I was the one that looked up how much rotational torque brakes can put on your rotors. He didn’t even know how much torque a rotor can take before being warped!!! He said “rotors are designed to be compressed, that it isn’t actually a problem” just completely dismissing me.

Then he had the NERVE to say that my personal choice had consequences, that I would affect everyone around me. Well I’ve had it with him, I’m looking for a new mechanic. The problem is that so many mechanics are bought and paid by the automotive industry that ALL of them are insistent about my car having brakes. Most of them won’t even look at my car for other reasons, saying that a brakeless car could cause damage to their shop and other cars. What a bunch of bullshit, they just don’t like those who believe in alternative braking techniques.

Now of course big government is getting involved, saying that I *MUST* have brakes. That this isn’t just about me, and that I could hurt people. What happened to personal freedom? What happened to liberty?

So all I’m saying is, do your research. Don’t just listen to the NTSB and big automotive. I made a personal decision for my family, we just said no to brakes. We’ll be using natural remedies like Gravity, and putting our feet on the ground to stop. After all, if that was good enough for me when I was on my bike as a kid, it’s good enough for my children in my car.
- See more at: http://avwos.thespudd.com/im-an-anti....4YClVfaJ.dpuf
[/humor]