The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 02-22-2009, 11:57 PM   #1
Tulip
Professor

Facebook owns you

Since The Cellar has a facebook page, this is something we should think about,...or not? This article says that Facebook claims the right to use whatever you put into your Facebook page, even after you terminated your page. Y'all read and let know what ya think.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,494064,00.html
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:01 AM   #2
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I don't think that's really any different to any other site on the net where you post personal info. Even here on the cellar banned posters still have their content available for others to see, and you can't go back and delete the content if you want to.

On the other hand, you can delete everything off facebook and stop using it. Once it's deleted you're recinding your permission for them to use your content, so surely you'd have a case against them if you ever felt the need, not that I can imagine why it'd be an issue for most people.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:06 AM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

They changed the policy on the basis of this story.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:13 AM   #4
Tulip
Professor

Yups. It says Facebook archived everything and they have the right to use it.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:46 AM   #5
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
On the other hand, you can delete everything off facebook and stop using it. Once it's deleted you're recinding your permission for them to use your content,
Absolutely NOT true and the reason I removed all that I could and deleted my account. Well that and all the shit that got on my computer from their "games" and other crap.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:51 AM   #6
rfndong
Writer of Writings

Facebook will have sex with you while you are sleeping and then try to tell you that you just dreamed it.
rfndong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:04 AM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You say that like it's a bad thing.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #8
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

You can click "Delete", but that is no guarantee that the information you wanted to delete is actually gone. I discovered years old information that they kept of an old account of mine after I had "deleted" it. Everything you type on that website is recorded and will stay on their servers for who knows how long, a few years at the least as was my case.

I like Facebook and the ability to connect with people other than talking face to face or on the phone, as I am a person who doesn't enjoying talking on the phone. But stuff like this makes me seriously consider deleting my account. I convinced myself to settle for no personal info other than my email being made available on my profile. At least I can click the spam button for unwanted contact in that department. No such luck in the physical address or cell phone # department.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:05 PM   #9
jinx
Come on, cat.

What's the problem though (aside from the viruses)... what are you putting on there that you suddenly decide you want eradicated?
Old 02-23-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
classicman

Doesn't matter, Its the principle.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:49 PM   #11
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

The problem for me is the deceitfulness of the whole shebang. Facebook's roots are in the pure desire to maintain contact with people you know despite distance from one another. Share a few laughs, talk, etc. Along the way, Facebook realized they wanted to cash in on this wildly increasingly popular free service. Unfortunately, the best way for a gigantic database of personal information to make money from its users is to exploit said information in whatever legal means possible. Facebook has failed miserably at this and as evidenced by this current discontent among its users, is no closer to figuring out how to make real $ from it all without stepping on the toes of the users it relies on. Passive click-through ads on the side of your profile will only make Facebook so much $, in the end they still do not have a real plan to make $ off the users and their information. I don't know about you, but I do not want my street address, cell phone number, or anything copyrighted on Facebook because in essence they are a database of information seeking to exploit that information at the expense of the users' privacy and control of said information. Facebook started as a benign service with which to connect with friends and has grown into a misguided profit seeking monster with little regard for the users on which it has been built up.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #12
jinx
Come on, cat.

Ok, so cell phone number and home address, that makes sense. I wouldn't put that stuff up in the first place though. I don't even think I have my email address visible.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:13 PM   #13
classicman

Facebook applications raise privacy fears
Quote:
Facebook users who sign up for We’re Related are given little idea how much of their personal information will be siphoned by the application, or – in the soothingly benign language of social networking – with whom this information will be “shared”.

New users are asked to give a blanket approval to let the application “pull your profile information, photos, your friends’ info and other content that it requires to work”. The application then appears to give itself the power to release this information to anyone else on Facebook – even if users have set stricter privacy settings to limit access to their personal data.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #14
classicman

City requires Facebook passwords from job applicants
Quote:
If you’re planning to apply for a job with the city of Bozeman, prepare to clean up your Facebook page.

As part of routine background checks, the city asks job applicants to provide their usernames and passwords for their social-networking sites. And it has been doing it for years, city officials said.

“Please list any and all, current personal or business Web sites, Web pages or memberships on any Internet-based chat rooms, social clubs or forums, to include, but not limited to: Facebook, Google, Yahoo, YouTube.com, MySpace, etc.,” states a city waiver form applicants are asked to sign. Three lines are provided for applicants to list log-in information for each site.

City officials maintain the policy is necessary to ensure employees’ integrity and protect the public’s trust, but the American Civil Liberties Union of Montana says they may be crossing the line.

“I would guess that they’re on some shaky legal ground with this and we would certainly welcome (the opportunity) to look at something specific from somebody who’s impacted,” Executive Director Scott Crichton said Thursday.
Wow - WTH???
Old 06-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #15
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I think in a case like this I would simply say n/a. Wait for them to fire for cause and THEN bring the suit, as ACLU MT is trying to bring.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote