The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

View Poll Results: Have you..... (multiple choices allowed)
Went through a drive-thru and then went inside so you could use two fast food coupons. 2 11.11%
Refused to buy something on sale until you could come back with a coupon for it. 3 16.67%
Buy food that's been marked down because it's on or 1 day from it's expiration date. 13 72.22%
Meal planned based on what's on sale. 10 55.56%
Spent extra time buying buy one get one free meats to get two that are close in weight. 9 50.00%
When using a 'cheapest meal free' coupon, made sure that noone orders a $5 sandwich. 5 27.78%
Driven an extra 5 miles to avoid tolls. 4 22.22%
Driven an extra 10 miles to avoid tolls. 2 11.11%
Kept coupons in your purse or wallet for days or weeks at a time, just in case. 9 50.00%
Called friends or relatives long distance only when the rates are lowest? 3 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

How Cheap/Frugal are you

I have to admit it. I'm cheap. Not that I don't share with friends and family, but that I am always looking for the best deal.

I recently got very pissed at KFC. I was buying their 10 pack version of nuggets for someone and asked what sauces they had. The person informed me that no sauces were included and that each one would be 25 cents.

Now I know that many fast food places set limits and charge extra now, but I also know that McDs would at least give you two sauces for a 10 piece nugget order.

I also can guess that each of these sauce tubs probably costs them 5 cents in bulk, which translates into a %400 profit. Maybe they should stop selling chicken and just sell sauce tubs.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

One of my pet peeves is the computerized listing fees on the telephone company-like billing statements,
showing me how many different (unrelated) ways they can ding me for their service.

Then, of course, there was that earlier thread that established my reputation among Dwellars.

Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I'm the anti-frugal. I could use a bit more frugal for sure.I have a friend who is Queen Frugal.
i
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Cheap cos I have to be cheap.
Frugal?
Picture me laughing as Mad Gerald in The Blackadder.

I check the prices of things I like on mysupermarket.com, to see which of the Big Four have the deal this week. Sometimes none.
Then I spend money on frivolous things like Jelly Belly candles in the same store, just because I am bored and acquisitive and they smell good.
Or buy a new skirt on eBay just because it's 99p, when a day before I walked two miles to get 30p off a packet of cornflakes.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
Ocean's Edge
is a beach

my ex was frugal....very frugal

some men used their fists to beat up their wives, some use their cheque books
He did very very well with the money he had - later as a single mom, I envied him those skills, and I'd hear his words ringing in my ears "If I let you have access to the money, we'd be broke inside of six months!"

It took me a while, but I finally figured out that to be like him - I'd have to be like him... a skinflint, tight ass, cheap bastard who resented every dime he had to spend on his wife and kids....

I didn't want to be like him

Him and I are now largely like a pair of 5 yr olds with credit cards, when we have money we tend to spend it, when we don't we do without - neither one of us has the 'proper respect' for money - we have a tendency to view it as a tool - a means to an end - rather than the goal itself. I know I know - crazy talk ... but we know that's what we are, and we're both completely content to send the last $25 we've got to help some poor dog's surgery in Nashville, or some cheery thing we've always wanted *shrug*

(all that said we don't deliberately throw money away either - and we tend to at least make a reasonable effort to buy wisely while we're busy spending)
Old 05-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I'm a weird mix. There are two things that I do not care what they cost, and I do not even look for the most part, because they are chosen priorities and it's better not to think about it: food and medicine. If I happen to see good meat on sale, I will buy it, and when the organic produce is on sale I might buy extra and freeze it, but if it's not on sale I'll still buy everything I was planning to buy without a second thought.

But we "do without" in most other areas, in order to subsidize these two. All the kids' clothes come from consigment/thrift or are hand-me-downs from friends with older kids. Mr. Clod and I don't generally get clothes for ourselves unless something gets a hole in it. We drive our cars into the ground as a general rule, and we've had one vacation (not counting car trips to the beach that other people paid for) in the last 5 years. We only eat out 2-3 times a year.

On the other hand, Mr. Clod is a technology whore, and there is a certain amount of the monthly budget set aside that he gets to save/spend on new tech that we completely don't need, because it's the one thing he splurges on to stay sane. He doesn't go over his budgeted amount, and I don't get to point out how he doesn't really need whatever it is.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #7
glatt

I spent $25 on tools today and feel a little guilty about it.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Carol washes and reuses the throw away uninsels and containers from fast food places , oh and I have to throw out the collection of ketchup and sauce packs every few years
Old 05-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyt View Post
Carol washes and reuses the throw away uninsels and containers from fast food places , oh and I have to throw out the collection of ketchup and sauce packs every few years
Same here. I remember back in the old days the early Stouffers microwave meals came with these thick hard plastic 8 inch plates. One of them lasted us over 10 years. We microwaved meals on it, used it as a small cutting board.... The Chinese places had some great microwave containers up until recently. Now they are about half as thin and sort of wobbly when full of anything heavy.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #10
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

I buy lunchmeat in the gladware
Old 05-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #11
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

I carry my lunch in reusable containers, in an insulated bag. I don't use many coupons because I only buy produce and dry beans, and there aren't any coupons for those. Like Clod, I don't try to save on groceries - high quality, preferably organic produce is my priority - but I am an electricity miser, never use the dryer, and only shop for clothes when absolutely necessary.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #12
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Wow, I'm impressed that you don't use a dryer. Do you have a clothesline outside, or do you hang them inside? Don't they dry all stiff?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #13
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

I don't know whether you'd call me cheap or frugal but I'm currently spending only 23% of my per diem subsistence allowance while I travel. The rest I get to keep (taxable income, of course!).
Old 05-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #14
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Do you have a clothesline outside, or do you hang them inside? Don't they dry all stiff?
Clothesline outside and drying racks inside. There's nothing like the smell of clothes dried outside! Fabulous. Towels dry stiff, but they really absorb moisture when you use them. Sheets smell wonderful. And I find clothes last much much longer when they're never subjected to the dryer.

I bought drying racks for each bedroom in the house and when the kids were still at home, it was their responsibility to do their own laundry and hang it on their own racks. Now they do the same in their own places and save $$ on electricity and clothes replacement.

I've found that I can hang big duvets over the (metal) backs of the kitchen chairs and they dry within a couple of hours in winter. Plus they humidify the dry winter air!
Old 05-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #15
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I dry duvets and bedding over doors generally :p

I don't actually own a washing machine or dryer and have no garden as such. So, I usually dry in the house on radiator racks and over the bannister on the landing. Sometimes I use the dryers in the launderette, but usually, by the time Ive dragged everything out the washing machines I cant be arsed sticking around for 20 mins plus of drying.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote