The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-05-2005, 04:40 PM   #1
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Wink Now see...THIS is why we need the death penalty...

From This is True:

SUICIDE IS PAINFUL: After his conviction of having a sexual relationship
with a 12-year-old girl for over a year, Franklin E. Carver, 67, of
Godfrey, Ill., was apparently intent on committing suicide. He shot
himself in the head with a .22 handgun, but didn't die. Two more shots
to the head and two to his chest didn't do the trick, either, so Carver
drove 10 minutes to a bridge over the Mississippi River and threw
himself off. He was later found drowned. (St. Louis Post-Dispatch)

Now, which would be kinder? Allowing inept criminals to screw it up (several times), or a nice, quick jolt of electricity? Or, if he prefers bullets, a good marksman?

Sorry guys...I just HAD to post this.

Catwoman: It's a JOKE!! (As in haha!)

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 06:19 PM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

As amusing as the situation is to you, and despite the fact that I would certainly not mind seeing this man strung up by his testicles for destroying the life of a child ... there are well established avenues for mental health services of which this could have availed himself ... whether of his own will or that of the state. His rather inept death by his own hand isn't a triumph by any means.

It's just sad.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 06:38 PM   #3
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Sidhe
Now, which would be kinder? Allowing inept criminals to screw it up (several times), or a nice, quick jolt of electricity? Or, if he prefers bullets, a good marksman?
The man had a problem so severe that he repeatedly kept trying to kill himself. That proves death is a better solution? I disagree. Using this same reasoning, then clearly torture also would have solved the problem. Only punishment - Shari'ah (Islamic sacred) law - is moral enough to stop such crimes.

Meanwhile, what happened to a concept of solving the problem rather than curing its symptoms? Emotional based punishment clearly is superior. Why did we ever make the mistake of creating a Bill of Rights? Our ancestors clearly did not understand pedophilia.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 09:04 AM   #4
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

I think that everyone should have the right to opt out whenever they want. I think that having an easy, sure, painless way to do so would reduce the number of attemps drastically because people would know if you really meant it you would go to the check out station.

I know that there are many, many ways that this can go wrong or be improperly used, but that doesn't change the underlying premise that deciding the terminus of your own life is the ultimate right.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
you would go to the check out station.
Am I the only one who is reminded of the Suicide Booth in the first episode of Futurama?
Bender: "Listen, buddy, I'm in a hurry here. Let's try for a twofer. Hehe."
Suicide Booth: "Please select mode of death. Quick and painless or slow and horrible."
Fry: "Yeah, I'd like to place a collect call?"
Suicide Booth: "You have selected slow and horrible."
Bender: "Great choice!"
Suicide Booth: "You are now dead. Thank you for using Stop'n'Drop. America's favorite suicide booth since 2008."
Old 06-06-2005, 12:53 PM   #6
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Sweet...

I don't have television, and haven't for over three years. I like the idea.

2008? Something to think about.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:32 PM   #7
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

It's been more than three years since Futurama.

You have no excuse!
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 06:09 PM   #8
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

TS: glad somebody got it.

Pie: Damn...that's good. I like it.

To everyone else: Sorry, I thought it was funny. It had nothing to do with the fact that he was a pedophile. It had to do with the fact that I could make a joke about the death penalty. And simply because I thought it was funny does not mean that I think we should do away with the constitution. I feel he was doing us a service...except that maybe he should've used a larger caliber.

If we're going to be serious about this, I don't suppose it ever occurred to anyone that he KNEW he wasn't going to be able to stop and decided to make sure he did? Now that's remorse. So instead of availing himself of mental health services, if the thought even crossed his mind, he decided to put an end to his destructive actions once and for all.

I have no problem with someone committing suicide if they feel they must. I think it's damned stupid that the government has a problem with it. If someone wants to end his own life, that should be his choice, not the government's. Has it gotten to the point where we don't have a problem with the government dictating which citizens of the US can get married, based on their sexuality and a misguided sense of "morality," or with the government dictating when one can die? I mean, the extreme of that was the Schiavo case. And then there was Kevorkian. If someone wants to die, and they're in their right mind to make the decision, the government has no place in it. If someone has been brain-dead for fifteen years, it's time to let them go. The government has no place in it. Your life doesn't belong to the government until you join the armed forces (that's another joke, guys).

But, if he hadn't been a pedophile, just some Joe Blow off the street who screwed it up, would that have made it funny for y'all? I know there wouldn't have been the "bill of rights" comment....

*sigh* Oh, well...

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 09:53 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
As amusing as the situation is to you, and despite the fact that I would certainly not mind seeing this man strung up by his testicles for destroying the life of a child ... there are well established avenues for mental health services of which this could have availed himself ... whether of his own will or that of the state. His rather inept death by his own hand isn't a triumph by any means.

It's just sad.
Bah, stop posting from work. :p
Old 06-06-2005, 10:06 PM   #10
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Sidhe
To everyone else: Sorry, I thought it was funny. It had nothing to do with the fact that he was a pedophile. It had to do with the fact that I could make a joke about the death penalty.
The skit that Benny Hill never got to perform. And without nudity. That means it could also be shown on American TV.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 12:27 AM   #11
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Bah, stop posting from work. :p

But don't you see ... a miserable life in prison vs. a quick death. Since I can't have him strung up by the testicles ... option one will just have to suffice.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis

Last edited by wolf; 06-07-2005 at 12:40 AM.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 12:36 AM   #12
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Okay...who stole Wolf's login?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 03:58 AM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf

But don't you see ... a miserable life in prison vs. a quick death. Since I can't have him strung up by the testicles ... option one will just have to suffice.
Yeah, that's it. A nice emotion based, non-professional, rath of Gods, make 'em suffer solution.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:59 AM   #14
mrnoodle
bent

Why bother, when this option is so readily available?

One case of .45 ACP could potentially free up hundreds of jail cells for more stoners and tax evaders.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:02 PM   #15
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
One case of .45 ACP could potentially free up hundreds of jail cells for more stoners and tax evaders.
couldn't have said it better myself.