The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 06-08-2004, 02:41 PM   #31
Carbonated_Brains
Does it show up here when I type?

I suggest a stern letter to your congressman! They DEFINITELY would change things then!
Carbonated_Brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 02:42 PM   #32
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Quote:
Originally posted by Carbonated_Brains
Sidhe, when you became batshit crazy, did you hear a snap?

What about all the people in jail in China for believing in Democracy?

What about the people we put in jail for minor drug offences? Smoke a joint and you're out of the loop? Or murderers who are WRONGLY convicted and thrown in jail?
We're not in China. And while I think certain drugs should be legal, and jail time for them is BS, the simple fact remains that they ARE illegal, and if you get busted, that's not my problem. And as far as wrongful convictions, I've stated my opinions on that (for example DNA should be MANDATORY, not optional).

I have my opinions, and I didn't just pick them out of a hat. I've thought about them, and why I believe them. Merely because I have firm opinions, which happen to disagree with yours, does not make me wrong--or batshit crazy, as you so eloquently put it.

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 02:43 PM   #33
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by lookout123

i don't hate prisoners. at the current time i have a cousin and an uncle in prison for different reasons. they chose to break the law. they have lost their rights in many areas.
since the idea of a guard or warden exerting undue influence on prisoner's votes, how about this one:

politician in area with a large number of prisoners runs for office with one of his ideas being that he will free prisoners that fall within categories x,y, and z. prisoners would undoubtedly vote for this person. they should not have the option to influence this election because that is basic bribery. "you get me into office, i'll get you out of jail"
bad idea.
i think you;re missing the point. if the area is populated with enough prisoners to influence a vote, then that area should make decisions based on what is important to the majority of people in that area.
suppose there was a county that had a population of 1000 people. 600 of them are in prison. 400 of them are not. an election is held, and one politician's platform is prison reform and living condition improvement within the jails. the other runs on a platform of cracking down and reducing the funding of the prisons. 600 prisoners all vote for politician #1. 100 of the non imprisoned people also think there should be better living conditions in the jails. 300 people vote for politician #2. 700 votes to 300 votes. if the prisoner's votes are stricken, #2 wins by a lot. and the majority suffers. NOT DEMOCRACY.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 02:46 PM   #34
Carbonated_Brains

I bet if you got dragged away to sing sing for a bogus reason, you'd change your whiny tune in a hurry, Sidhe.

Preach it, jim. Democracy shall not suffer for the conveniences of the middle class.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:47 PM   #35
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Sidhe

Then let their wives vote.:p
twice?

what you are apparently missing is that we have certain inalienable rights. you can't lose your rights. if we were a nation of criminals ( meaning that the criminal population outnumbered the non criminals) then we should make our decisions that way. government for the people by the people. not goverment for the good people by the good people.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:50 PM   #36
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:

(for example DNA should be MANDATORY, not optional).

What do you mean by this? That everyone must have DNA? That every murderer must leave DNA evidence at the scene of the crime? That DNA evidence must exist and be presented for there to be a murder trial?
Old 06-08-2004, 02:51 PM   #37
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:

I have my opinions, and I didn't just pick them out of a hat. I've thought about them, and why I believe them. Merely because I have firm opinions, which happen to disagree with yours, does not make me wrong--
your opinions being firm and thought upon as opposed to random doesn't make them not wrong either.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:53 PM   #38
Lady Sidhe

Quote:
Originally posted by Carbonated_Brains
I bet if you got dragged away to sing sing for a bogus reason, you'd change your whiny tune in a hurry, Sidhe.

I'm not whining. I'm stating an opinion. Besides, I've been sent to prison for something I didn't do. Luckily, I was released a couple of days later when it was discovered that the accusers had a history of falsely accusing four or five people of the same bullshit. The judge threw it out and threatened the accusers with jail if they brought one more false accusation to waste his court's time.

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Old 06-08-2004, 02:54 PM   #39
Lady Sidhe

Quote:
Originally posted by jinx

What do you mean by this? That everyone must have DNA? That every murderer must leave DNA evidence at the scene of the crime? That DNA evidence must exist and be presented for there to be a murder trial?
That in cases which involve long prison terms or the death penalty, DNA testing should be mandatory, paid for by the state. It should not be only if the accused can afford it.

edit: and LJ, it doesn't mean they're wrong, either, just because they aren't liberal.

-Rita Rudner

Old 06-08-2004, 02:54 PM   #40
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

wait. lemme go make some popcorn.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:57 PM   #41
Carbonated_Brains

Maybe the world would be safer if everybody inserted their johnson into a little remote controlled guillotine and you had your finger on the controls?

This isn't a police state!
Old 06-08-2004, 02:59 PM   #42
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:

That in cases which involve long prison terms or the death penalty, DNA testing should be mandatory, paid for by the state. It should not be only if the accused can afford it.
And when there is no DNA evidence to test...?
Old 06-08-2004, 03:02 PM   #43
Lady Sidhe

Oh, please....

Yes, I believe that people who abuse their children should not be able to create more victims. I believe that drug addicts who give birth to drug-addicted babies who will have mental and physical problems for life should not be able to create more victims. I believe cold-blooded murderers should die in the same way they murdered their victims. I believe that prison should be a punishment, and I believe that society as a whole is more important than the predators who would destroy it.

I'm not sorry I believe these things, and if you're looking for some kind of apology, don't hold your breath.

I have a daughter who is a hell of a lot more important to me than the Bundys, the child molesters, and the other random murderers out there. Anything that will make society safer for her has my approval.

edit: this was a reply to CB, not Jinx.

-Rita Rudner

Last edited by Lady Sidhe; 06-08-2004 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:04 PM   #44
Lady Sidhe

Quote:
Originally posted by jinx

And when there is no DNA evidence to test...?

I've never heard of a murder case in which the murderer did not leave something at the crime scene. Unless he's dressed in a full body condom, it's extremely unlikely that there is no DNA evidence.
Same with rape and molestation. However, as to these two, there's more than one way to determine guilt. Those ways should be utilized. That's one of the reasons I think previous behavior should be allowed to be put before the jury. For example, if someone has prior convictions for rape or molestation, the jury should know that. It shows a propensity. As it goes now, prior records are not allowed as evidence, so juries give light sentences, thinking that it's a first offense.

edit: I use these examples because they're most likely to have long prison terms or be eligible for the death penalty.

-Rita Rudner

Last edited by Lady Sidhe; 06-08-2004 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:07 PM   #45
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:

edit: and LJ, it doesn't mean they're wrong, either, just because they aren't liberal.
you callin me a liberal? i'll call you a fascist if you are.

sidhe, you claim to be smart. you take an extrememly simplistic view of things. eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth doesn't work. that civilization failed.

sterilizing people is fraught with more peril than not.

don't be stupid, ya moron.