The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-07-2004, 12:17 PM   #1
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Not for Lumberjim *lol*

Motherhood cut short: When pregnancy ends in murder

(Court TV) — Mark Hacking is accused of killing his pregnant wife, Lori, in Salt Lake City. Scott Peterson (news - web sites) is accused of killing his pregnant wife, Laci, in Modesto, Calif. Meanwhile, as their cases play out before a national audience, countless other husbands and boyfriends stand accused of the same crime in courtrooms across the country.

Roger McBeath, 22, for example, is charged with murdering his pregnant girlfriend, 18-year-old Ashley Lyons, in Georgetown, Ky.

"People are interested in Laci Peterson and Lori Hacking because they seemed so normal and happy in their relationships. People wonder, 'Where is this coming from?'" said Dr. Diana Cheng, director of women's health at the Maryland Dept. of Health and Medical Hygiene.

"The reality is there are a lot more of these cases that either aren't reported in the news or we just don't know about," Cheng said.

In 2001, Cheng and Dr. Isabelle Horon conducted a study in Maryland to determine the leading cause of death among pregnant women from 1993 to 1998.

Of the 247 women who died while pregnant, homicide was found to be the leading cause of death, accounting for about 20 percent of the cases.

"Women tend to think pregnancy is a safety zone, especially if they are already in an abusive relationship," Cheng said. "But what we're seeing is that no woman is safe from domestic violence or its most severe consequences."

Fear of fatherhood

Though very few pregnant women actually become victims of homicide — out of the 688 women murdered in Maryland over that five-year period, only 50 were pregnant — such figures reveal a chilling trend.

As more statistics on pregnancy-related mortality become available, experts are beginning to see pregnancy as an aggravating factor that increases a woman's risk of being murdered.

"Pregnancy is obviously a big, life-changing event, especially for a man. The emotional and financial responsibilities involved are huge stones around their necks," said Pat Brown, a criminal profiler and president of the Sexual Homicide Exchange.

However, Brown said, if something happens to the wife and child, those responsibilities disappear.

"If he doesn't want the child, why doesn't he just leave her?" she said. "He can do that, but that doesn't eliminate the responsibilities: child support, alimony, then as they get older, the kids want to see you. It never ends."

Even though famous cases such as Peterson's and Hacking's show how husband's are often the chief suspects in their spouses' deaths, Brown said there are no hard statistics because such instances are difficult to prove.

"We already know that 42 percent of murdered women are killed by their intimate partners. What remains to be established is the link between spousal or intimate partner homicide and pregnancy," Brown said. "The rate of women being murdered by their husbands and boyfriends because of the pregnancy is a lot higher than the statistics could possibly prove."

Meaningful statistics about such murders, however, require facts that are often too hard to gather.

First, it must be proved that the pregnant woman was murdered, which usually requires a body and a cause of death.

Second, it must be proved that the woman was killed because she was pregnant, not just that she happened to be pregnant when she was murdered.

Most importantly, you need a conviction to substantiate a husband's or boyfriend's culpability.

Defining a death

Every state conducts annual studies of maternal mortality rates, usually distinguishing between pregnancy-related deaths — medical complications arising from pregnancy — and non-pregnancy associated deaths, such as motor-vehicle accidents or drive-by shootings, for example.

But the problem with these definitions is that they don't take into account socially related deaths such as homicides.

"This definition restricts the potential causal contribution of pregnancy to women's deaths, because only causes of death that are biologically related to pregnancy are counted," wrote Victoria Frye, editor of the Journal of American Medical Association.

Some studies, however, have taken the leap to examine homicides of pregnant women. Many come up with similar findings as Cheng's.

In 2002, the Wake Forest School of Medicine released its study on maternal deaths in North Carolina from 1993 to 1997. It concluded that "the number of homicide deaths [35 out of 297 deaths] exceeds the number of deaths from any one of the pregnancy-related conditions."

Nonetheless, in the same years, motor vehicle accidents and other non-medical incidents topped the lists.

Bad signs

Though many of these studies are broken down by race and class, Dr. Judith McFarlane says intimate partner abuse and homicide is not a lower-class issue.

"A woman with more resources and money may have more options, but it doesn't make her any less of a target," said McFarlane, a professor at Texas Woman's University who conducted a study correlating abuse during pregnancy and homicide.

Her research found that domestic violence was the leading indicator for homicide among pregnant woman.

"We as a society don't hold men accountable for their violent actions," McFarlane said. "To prosecute someone through our courts often takes more time than the victims of domestic violence can afford to spend waiting for action to happen."

((we, as a society, don't hold ANYONE accountable for their violent actions--we hold society, or mommy, or daddy, or someone ELSE responsible for an individual's violent actions. Isn't it interesting that when someone finds a cure for a disease, or does something wonderful, no one cites mommy or daddy as a contributing factor?--Sidhe))

McFarlane said the recent passage of Laci and Connor's bill, which makes it a federal capital offense to murder a fetus, and the correlating publicity to Scott Peterson's murder trial helps send a clear message.

((So is it an offense only if the woman doesn't WANT her fetus to be murdered? For instance, would this bill apply to women who have abortions? Like I said before, either the fetus has protection under the law, or it doesn't. Can't have it both ways. That'd be like saying murder is wrong unless, say, your wife was a nag, or your husband beat you. Then it's ok---doesn't work that way--Sidhe))

"Before, the legal waters were very murky when it came to the murder of an unborn child," she said. "Now the law is clear and the Peterson trial publicity makes the extent of that law very clear."

Brown said the bigger problem is that women often don't come forward until it is too late.

"Men who cross the line to murder their pregnant wives and girlfriends show signs of being psychopathic long before the murder," she said. ((my italics added--Sidhe))

She added that women often rush into relationships out a desire for companionship and then choose to remain in them, even after it becomes obvious that the relationship is troubled, often "explaining away" less than honorable behavior for the same reasons.

"Women should be even more cautious about getting pregnant with any man who exhibits a lack of concern for her happiness and well being, is manipulative, is a pathological liar, exhibits grandiose thinking, and has a history of dishonesty."

((This just goes to show what Psych workers have been saying for years--that early deviant behavior should not be ignored. People seem to think that things like window peeping, lying, manipulation, and such behaviors (especially when chronic) are "phases" or something that will pass. All too often, however, they simply escalate.

I dunno. It seems to me that there has to be some way to deal with these people before they end up killing someone. I realize that we can't lock someone up for lying or manipulating, but damn....

This is why a defendent's criminal history should be allowed into a trial as evidence, IMO.

Many juries have said that had they known of a murderer's/rapists/insert violent criminal here criminal history, that they would have found them guilty or imposed a harsher sentence. Often juries will give someone a pass because they believe that it is a first offense. Afterward, when they find that the defendent had a history of criminal behavior, they feel deceived and angry.

It would seem that a defendent's criminal history would be relevant to a trial. If an individual has a history of committing the crimes for which he is on trial, that that would indicate propensity, and should be a consideration.

People bitch about how there is no justice, but when juries aren't told the whole story, what can you expect?

BLAH.

Sidhe))

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Last edited by Lady Sidhe; 09-07-2004 at 12:27 PM.
Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 03:17 PM   #2
Skunks
I thought I changed this.

I didn't read any of that, but I just have to say:

"Mark Hacking"? Homicide case?

It really makes me suspect certain sorts of murder weapons.
Skunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 08:23 PM   #3
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Well, you can't lock them up for looking funny; or even acting funny. i don't know what the answer is, our process is indeed flawed. Lady Sidhe--what should be done about people who exhibit addictive patterns? Addiction accounts for a lot of aberrant behaviors--like driving around with the headless torso of your best friend, or jacking off outside the window of a sleeping 5 year old. the hardest thing to remember is that each person is a person and you can't just throw people away no matter how odious they are (or, at least you shouldn't be able to).
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 09:08 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
"We already know that 42 percent of murdered women are killed by their intimate partners. What remains to be established is the link between spousal or intimate partner homicide and pregnancy," Brown said. "The rate of women being murdered by their husbands and boyfriends because of the pregnancy is a lot higher than the statistics could possibly prove."
If the statistics don't support it, then how can he make that claim? What is this, an editorial? Opinion? Guessing? your slipping Sidhe, at least come up with something factual.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:08 AM   #5
Lady Sidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
If the statistics don't support it, then how can he make that claim? What is this, an editorial? Opinion? Guessing? your slipping Sidhe, at least come up with something factual.

I would say, if I had to venture a guess, that what this person is referring to may be unsolved homicides of pregnant women, or assaults that don't get prosecuted because the woman dropped charges. It happens all the time. The FBI says that rape stats are usually much higher than the numbers show because of the women who don't report the rapes, or the women who won't press charges because they're scared.

It happens.

Brianna: Well, you can't lock them up for looking funny; or even acting funny. i don't know what the answer is, our process is indeed flawed. Lady Sidhe--what should be done about people who exhibit addictive patterns? Addiction accounts for a lot of aberrant behaviors--like driving around with the headless torso of your best friend, or jacking off outside the window of a sleeping 5 year old. the hardest thing to remember is that each person is a person and you can't just throw people away no matter how odious they are (or, at least you shouldn't be able to).

I agree with that. Some people are just strange. The only thing I was making a point of is that, with reference to a trial, that past criminal behavior, if applicable, should be able to be used as evidence. As far as funny behavior is concerned, I think that if more people knew what "funny" behaviors were indicators of dangerous behavior, maybe escalation wouldn't be as likely--or at least maybe people would be able to take precautions. Hell, I don't know. If I did, I'd be rich and famous by now.

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Old 09-08-2004, 11:08 AM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
The FBI says that rape stats are usually much higher than the numbers show because of the women who don't report the rapes, or the women who won't press charges because they're scared.
And none of the murder victims, report it. :hafucking
Old 09-08-2004, 11:23 AM   #7
glatt

I dug up a few statistics. Basically, most murder victims are young black males who are drunk. They are your victims, Sidhe. Why don't you post about them?

See this summary
Quote:
Males are 9 times more likely to commit murder and 3.6 times more likely to be murdered than females. The murder/victim sex percentages are summarized as:

male murderer/male victim....... 67.9%
male murderer/female victim..... 22.0%
female murderer/male victim..... 7.8%
female murderer/female victim... 2.3%
-------
total: 100.0%

About 10% of homicides in 1997 were by "intimates" (spouses, ex-spouses, boyfriends and girlfriends). There was little difference between the victimization rate for black or white males, but black females were twice as likely and white females were four times as likely to be victims of intimates as males.
Sidhe's article says that out of 688 murdered women in Maryland, 50 were pregnant. I doubt Maryland is representative of the entire US, but many states don't track homicides of pregant females, so let's pretend it is representative. If anything, it has more homicides (see Baltimore), so the real US total should be lower. Anyway, 50 pregnant out of 688 killed is about 7% of all murdered women. Women make up 29.8% of all the murder victims (see quote), so 01.7% of all murders are pregnant women.

1.7% of all murders are pregnant women. Is that a lot? A little? There are 6.2 million pregnancies in the US each year. Cite A pregnancy lasts 3/4 of a year long, and there are about 300 million Americans. So that means 1.5% of all Americans are pregnant each year. 1.7% is pretty darn close to 1.5%.

The percentage of murdered pregnant females is proportional to the percentage of pregnant females.

There's nothing to see here. Move along.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 12:14 PM   #8
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Well, you can't lock them up for looking funny; or even acting funny.
Actually you can. People get locked up for being "crazy" all of the time. Some never make it back out.

One of the guys at the hospital I worked at was picked up for pissing in public. Was he crazy? Hell yeah. Was he dangerous? Not even close. He'll never see outside again because he doesn't act like everybody else.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:14 PM   #9
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
Actually you can. People get locked up for being "crazy" all of the time. Some never make it back out.

One of the guys at the hospital I worked at was picked up for pissing in public. Was he crazy? Hell yeah. Was he dangerous? Not even close. He'll never see outside again because he doesn't act like everybody else.
I worked at the state hosp. here in ohio and yes, you can commit them for 72 hours on a police request and then you have to have a physician and judges order BUT crazy people do have rights, you know. Just ask them--(typically) the crazier they are the more they know about their rights. Very strange situation.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 10:23 AM   #10
Lady Sidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
I dug up a few statistics. Basically, most murder victims are young black males who are drunk. They are your victims, Sidhe. Why don't you post about them?

I don't make the headlines, I just post 'em. Talk to the editors at Reuters.

Sidhe

-Rita Rudner