The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 06-16-2004, 10:25 AM   #136
Carbonated_Brains
Does it show up here when I type?

Sycamore and I can be the Sharks, and Sidhe and Onyx can be the Jets.
Carbonated_Brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 02:55 PM   #137
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

(singing) Gee, Officer Krupke, we're very upset;
We never had the love that ev'ry child oughta get.
We ain't no delinquents,
We're misunderstood.
Deep down inside us there is good!(/singing)

We can't help being hammurabi-light-ists. It's a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it....

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 09:41 AM   #138
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Again, this didn't happen in the US, but murdering and dismembering a five-year-old baby? Uh-uh. These people should be sterilized with a rusty scalpel and no anesthetic.

Sidhe

Stepmother gets 15 years in girl's murder
Associated Press

Toronto — A woman convicted along with her husband in the savage murder and dismemberment of his five-year-old daughter must spend at least 15 behind bars, a judge ruled Monday.

In imposing the sentence, Superior Court Justice David Watt said Kaneez Fatima was not just a passive participant in the horrendous death of Farah Khan four years ago.

“She was not the mere spectator immobilized by fear,” Judge Watt said. “She did nothing to stop the onslaught.”

Ms. Fatima will not be eligible to apply for parole until Jan. 19, 2015.

She was convicted of second-degree murder and automatically sentenced to life in prison in the killing.

At issue in sentencing was whether Ms. Fatima would be eligible for parole after serving the minimum 10 years.

In submissions to Judge Watt, Crown lawyer David Fisher argued for raising the minimum to 18-to-20 years, saying Ms. Fatima had a “hair-trigger temper.”

She helped carry her stepdaughter's body parts in backpacks to a city park for disposal, then lied to protect herself and her husband, Mr. Fisher told the court.

“Farah Khan was a sweet, helpless and defenceless five-year-old child, he said.

Defence lawyer John Collins portrayed Ms. Fatima as a victim of two abusive arranged marriages who loved and cared for Farah as if the girl were her own child.

As a battered wife, Ms. Fatima was powerless to stop the vicious assaults on a stepdaughter who called her “mommy.”

She lied only because Mr. Khan had threatened her and her family, Mr. Collins said.

But Mr. Fisher countered that Farah suffered 30 distinct blows to her head, arms and legs and showed evidence of previous beatings.

Ten of the jurors who convicted her recommended minimum parole eligibility ranging between 15 and 25 years.

Farah's father, Muhammad Arsal Khan, was convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to life without parole for at least 25 years.

Jurors at their trial heard how Mr. Khan had chased Farah around the family apartment, beat her and smashed her head against a coffee table before taking her into the bathroom, slitting her throat and decapitating and dismembering her.

Parts of Farah's body were found by a passerby at a waterfront park, but her torso was believed to have been carried off and eaten by animals and never recovered.

Fatima has already been in prison for more than four years.

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote