The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 09-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

Help with a Christmas gift -- coffee?

We exchange wish lists for the holidays, and today we got an e-mail from my father-in-law saying he'd like coffee for Christmas.

I think coffee is vile, bitter, nasty stuff, and I know nothing about it.

SO. I am appealing to the collective wisdom of the Cellar for help.

KitsuDad writes:
Quote:
I've tried the following and wasn't thrilled.
Peets house blend - ok but not great
Gevalia traditional roast - tastes burnt
Dunkin donuts original blend - not a good taste

I'd really like to try something else. I'm not comfortable with Starbucks. It's just tooooo expensive. So my wish is to have a number of coffees that I can try that are just normal original type blends, that are whole bean, so I can grind them at home (as that seems the best way to make coffee that tastes good?), and, that are not expensive (because if I like it, I don't want to "drain the bank" when I order more). I'm looking for something that isn't bitter, but smooth and flavorful.
I'm baffled by the qualification that Starbucks coffee is too expensive -- it's like, $10/lb? So he has single handedly wiped out any cool artisan coffees I probably would've found.

Halp?
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

One word:

Kopi luwak

Make like a pusher, give him the first pound, then, after he's hooked, let him find out how much it costs.

Momdigr drinks Eight O'Clock Coffee almost exclusively, so it must be cheap.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

When I was a lad, Mom would grind her own Eight O'clock coffee at the A&P store. Grab a bag of beans, dump them in the grinder, put the bag under the chute and push the button.
I wonder when they did away with that, probably about the same time they did away with the see though your feet machines.

Sorry Choco, I'm no help... I don't drink the shit either. It's just a crutch for people that don't do crank.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

What he really wants is a keurig machine
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

The last time I paid attention, the local Jewel still carried whole bean coffee and had a grinder in the coffee aisle. I don't remember the brand. But not 8 o'clock. Though I remember 8 o'clock from way back when we had A&P in St. Louis.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:06 AM   #6
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
Dey gots soup in K-cups now.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:07 AM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
...about the same time they did away with the see though your feet machines.
What'sthatnow?

Old 09-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
That's what I suggested initially, but he feels the machine is very costly. Cup for cup, regular coffee is way cheaper than K-cups, so I understand his reluctance.

I'm just super stumped. I understand getting someone gourmet coffee as a gift, just as you might get someone gourmet chocolates. But this is like... you just want me to get you a pound of coffee from the grocery store?
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Choco: If your father-in-law thinks Starbucks is expensive, then you're pretty much limited to the brands that a grocery store would carry. Any really good coffee would cost more than that. Okay, so I drink Ruta Maya medium roast. I'm cheap for someone who likes good coffee. I get mine at Costco for $15 for a 2.2 lbs. bag. I found it at HEB for $18. If you want to give it a try, don't get dark roast, get MEDIUM ROAST. Sorry, haven't tried any of brands grocery store carries. Someone just gave me a bag of Starbucks, which I haven't tried so I don't even know if it tastes good. I read an article that says 8 o'clock is good. Maybe it might acceptable.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
about the same time they did away with the see though your feet machines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
What'sthatnow?
Uh...yeah. What are you talking about?
Old 09-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #11
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
The last time I paid attention, the local Jewel still carried whole bean coffee and had a grinder in the coffee aisle. I don't remember the brand. But not 8 o'clock. Though I remember 8 o'clock from way back when we had A&P in St. Louis.
I still see coffee grinders on the coffee aisle at the grocery stores here too.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #12
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Bunny View Post
Uh...yeah. What are you talking about?
Back in the day shoe stores would have x-ray machines that customers could use to view their feet. This was before people realized that too much radiation is a bad thing.

You know how we old people can reminisce about all of the cool stuff we could do in the old days without harm like ride bikes without helmets, eat stuff cooked in lard,....etc. Well it turns out some of that stuff actually can kill ya.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe-fitting_fluoroscope

Quote:
X-ray fluoroscope machines installed in shoe stores from the 1920s until about the 1970s
1970's. Who the **** would let this go on into the 1970's. Let me guess - Texas.

Back on track: I agree that a K-cupper would be a better choice than some bags of gourmet coffee.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #13
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I was looking at that site a little while ago, but the prices for subsequent orders seem higher than KitsuDad is wanting to pay (given the Starbucks comment).
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #14
Nirvana
Back in 10

Seattle's Best number 4 Organic Fair Trade
Old 09-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #15
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Thanks for the explanation Mr. Levy.