The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-12-2020, 10:40 PM   #91
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

On owner forums, it's widely held that charging to 80% is ideal practice, but charging to 90% regularly is fine, along with an occasional charge to 99-100% to go on longer trips.

Battery retention:

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:07 AM   #92
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Hmm, there would be less sun available in VT or northern NY... better move south
Yeah, no I'm staying in Union territory. Mostly for the snow. Wind is also an option, I'm seeing a fair amount of solar even in less than ideal places. It must be getting cheap enough for that.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:37 AM   #93
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's one of those it's getting cheaper but also getting better.
If you pull the trigger now will the price drop next month? Maybe even a big jump in efficiency next month.
Old 09-03-2020, 02:09 PM   #94
Gromitspapa
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Good choice! I've had a Volt and Volvo S60 T8, currently an Audi e-tron. I drove the Model 3 and was really impressed (I've been in the car business for 30 years). I held off on getting one because at first they didn't lease them. Now they lease them, but the payments are high plus you can't buy it out of the lease, so I'll just purchase one instead. It should arrive in 2-3 weeks.

- I might be wrong, but I think it's cheaper to charge on 220, but then you have the cost of upgrading. I'm sure you did, but make sure your extension cord usage is safe.
- under those hubcaps are some nice wheels. You'll need to buy a center cap/lug nut cover kit for $40-50 if you want it to look nice.

I'll probably get this wood kit. Lots of stuff on this website:

https://www.rpmtesla.com/collections...le-overlay-229
Gromitspapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:58 PM   #95
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Awesome sir !! After 2000 miles I'm still like a little kid with it, making up reasons to drive places.

That car ^ has the chrome delete kit, which makes it look really amazing.

I actually bought the lug cover kit, but I haven't taken off the aero covers yet. They save a lot of range and so it's this weird balance between saving range and looking really cool.

At my current place, I'm limited, because it's a rental. I could ask the landlord to install a charger, or more likely an external 240v outlet, but I'd have to make a deal of some kind with him. For 120v charging, I made sure to buy the highest quality 12 gauge cord, as short as necessary.

For the first week of ownership, I had an old 100 foot extension cable to use. That only charged at 9 Amps. Once I changed it out for the 25 foot, 12 gauge cable, that improved to 12 Amps.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:38 PM   #96
Gromitspapa

Yeah, I guess you lose 3% or range, which doesn't bother me. You must have gotten a long range model- I texted my salesman regarding the software upgrade for faster acceleration, but he said it wasn't available on the standard range plus. Maybe later I hope! The Performance model accelerates really fast and the upgrade gets it just under 3 seconds to 60mph. I'd love it, but it costs a ton more.

I heard the chrome delete will soon be an option, so I might just buy a kit instead. There's also a wind noise kit that I'll look at.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:45 PM   #97
glatt

When you let the thing go on autopilot, does it obey the speed limit based on its knowledge of the speed limit in that area, or do you have to tell it how fast to go? Does it know to slow down in construction zones, for example?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:44 PM   #98
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I think it will now default to 5 mph over if you set it? I forget. But I have had it slow down when speed limits change.

BUT you can always override while driving, and set cruise higher; I know I do.

BUT Autosteer will not work over 85 MPH. I have not tried to hit that; I generally won't switch on Autopilot at anything higher than 70, at this point.

It used to only get speed limits from GPS+Open Street Maps, but as of four days ago, it also recognizes speed limit signs.

I wouldn't try it in construction zones, they tell you not to. Here's an interesting story about someone who did:

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors...on_worker_and/
Old 09-03-2020, 06:06 PM   #99
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Oh and yes GP, I did get the long range. It was between the SR with full self-driving and the LR. I picked LR, I may have been wrong.

The question of how good the Full Self Driving will become, and how quickly, is a current fascination. I forget if I said it in the thread, but they are doing a full rewrite of the system, and Musk has it, and has hinted that it's awesome.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:48 PM   #100
Gromitspapa

I joined the club today. I need the secret handshake and a bottle of the Musk cologne.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:25 PM   #101
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Good luck with it.
I think it's backwards, car should be darker and the wheels should be bright and maybe shiny.
Hmm... I did paint my Corvette white with silver painted wheels.
nevermind.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:26 PM   #102
monster
I hear them call the tide

Name?
Old 09-28-2020, 11:04 PM   #103
Gromitspapa

I dunno... maybe Zeke? He was a dog I had until a few years ago. He was mostly white with some gray. Be nice to have a namesake.

Old 09-28-2020, 11:19 PM   #104
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yeah but if someone dents your door you're libel to lose control. How dare they dent Zeke!
Old 09-28-2020, 11:26 PM   #105
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I knew a dog named Zeke when I was about that young lady's age.

Dis be he:

Name:  Zeke.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  62.3 KB

He was run over by a Chevette. Buckled the roof, the ins company totaled the car.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote