The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 04-25-2001, 07:26 PM   #1
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Industry plans were exposed as they began a program to addict 5 year olds - nicotene laced candy; the 14 year old addiction program having been so successful. Today George Jr announces what will begin the end of all future tobacco prosecutions. Seven tobacco executives can lie under oath while on national TV before Congress; a Republican dominated Congress protects those liars - but George Jr thinks prosecution is not fair (all those tobacco bribes most to Republicans had nothing to do with his decisions).

Now from 25 Apr 2001 Wall Street Journal front page:
""Last year, Kristopher Sperry, a young man with a longtime marijuana habit, decided to clean up his life. He got married, became a father, joined a Baptist church, and enrolled as a freshman at Arkansas State University. He earned a "B" average and maintained a spotless disciplinary record.
But this semester, the 23 year old former factory worker lost his financial aid and had to drop out of school because he couldn't afford the $600 tuition. The reason: he had two misdemeanor drug convictions, one in 1998 for marijuana possession and one in 1999 for possession of drug paraphernalia, namely a water pipe. Under a three year old law, that makes him ineligible for federal student aid.
"Arsonist, burglars and convicted felons can still qualify for aid", complains Mr Sperry, who had his driver's license temporarily revoked, paid $275 in fines, and performed a day of community service as a result of the convictions. "I've already paid my price for my crime, I believe. Now I'm having to pay an even more severe price, hindering my education."
... A single conviction of Marjuana possession, by far the most common drug charge, disqualifies a student for a year from the date of conviction. People convicted of crimes that don't involve drugs, no matter how serious [including Timothy McVeigh], are eligible for student aid.
The law has been little noticed until recently because the Clinton administration enforced it only very loosely. But the new Bush administration has decided to get strict.
Consequently, some 26,000 people appear ineligible for federal financial aid for the upcoming school year ...
In an effort to comply [with the law], the Clinton Education Department in 1999 added a new question to the federal financial aid application ... asking about drug convictions. Of 9.8 million applicants, only about 9,000 acknowledged ... As a result they were denied aid.
But 279,000 more applicants left the question blank ...
Then the Bush administration took over. Last month, Education Secretary Rod Paige, after consulting with the department's legal consel, decided that the wording was now so clear that the government should deny aid to anyone who left it blank.""

An intelligent president would also mandate that all Presidents who did cocaine, a significantly more dangerous drug, must resign. But that would be too intelligent?

Orin Hatch, another power crazed politican, is a big promoter of these laws. Hatch says that mandatory sentences for these 'crimes' are necessary because judges are too lenient. Of course you cannot be too lenient on marijuana possession since even alcohol is more danagerous.

Mandatory sentences for marijuana distribution is on the order of 6 and 20 some years making marijuana sentences harsher than murder! Furthermore, since jails are now so crowded with mandatory drug sentences (more than 25% in every prision), murders are being released on parole earlier to relieve the overcrowding. That is what a more intelligent president and his right wing extremist Attorney General wants. Clearly the solution to higher crime rates is more prisioners and mandatory prosecution of marijuana possession. Clearly you must be intelligent to understand this.

Consulting other world intelligence leaders, Bugs Bunny said it best: "What a Maroooon".
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 01:57 AM   #2
jaguar
whig

Unhappy God(turn of phrase only) help american citizens coz nothing will save america.

Bush Jr is a puppet, plain and simple, all US pollies are to some extent bcuase they are funded by corperate interests but Bush takes it to new hights, or lows as the case may be. The fact is Bush ain't all that bright, he grammar, verbal gaffs (i know its hard to put food on your family, i know its hard for small business i was one) and the sheer stupidity of some of his decisions reflect this clearly, but he wil remain there becuase those who pull the strings behind the scenes find him useful, he can be pushed and prodded into doing anything poeple like Askcroft, and is right-wing extremeists cronies want. He's nice ot hte extrme to big business, and ....god where do i stop it just goes on and on and on. He is not in control of the whilehouse at all, he is run, propped up by his advisers, daddys advisers, he is as bad is Japans PM he jsut has better people around him. What can i say? Unless omshting major changes (which i can't see happening short of revolution) america is gonna be, for the normal citizen, a very fucked up place to live. Hopefuly the international community will grow a backbone and join hte EU is starting ot not listen and stand up to america and the internatioal community can knock this corperatised, basterdised pale immitation of what america was founded on off its high hosre so its founders can stop spinning in there graves.

This leads into one other point i'd liek to mate, it seems that every centuary or so there is one dominant power, in the 1800's it was Britan, in the 1900's it was America, the question is who is next, and i relaly do hope its not China, and that we don't blow outselves out of existance over a plane or 2 b4 we see.

And jsut to clear one thing up i am Agnostic, not Athiest.
Old 04-27-2001, 11:27 PM   #3
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Orrin Hatch is from Utah--enough said.

There is an image of Bush that continues to burn in my mind--when he went to visit that Drug Rehab Program during his campaign...and then talked about how he kicked booze on his own. Now how is that supposed to help someone in rehab? Not to mention, did he REALLY do it on his own...or did Daddy assist in it?

On his first 100 days, I'll give him a B-...better than I expected.

100 down, 1300 or so to go...
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 06:09 PM   #4
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by tw
But this semester, the 23 year old former factory worker lost his financial aid and had to drop out of school because he couldn't afford the $600 tuition. The reason: he had two misdemeanor drug convictions, one in 1998 for marijuana possession and one in 1999 for possession of drug paraphernalia, namely a water pipe. Under a three year old law, that makes him ineligible for federal student aid.

So you're blaming Bush for a law passed under a previous administration?
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 07:39 PM   #5
Dagnabit
High Propagandist

He was the one that decided to enforce the law.
Dagnabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 08:15 AM   #6
adamzion
Coronation Incarnate

Re: God(turn of phrase only) help american citizens coz nothing will save america.

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
Bush Jr is a puppet, plain and simple...
No, Shrub is an <b>idiot</b>, plain and simple.

Plainer and simpler?
Z
adamzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 02:26 AM   #7
jaguar
whig

Unhappy

*laughz, love the shrub bit
Yes, he is, but my point is that the only reason he is there as he is easy to maipulate, hes stupid no question, when he speaks off the cuff he causes an international incident every time, he needs his advisers, and they manipulate him to thier own ends (Ashcroft?). American presdients are always aprtly at the will of big businss coz of campaign donations (consider this, project HAARP, based in alaska has a 100% success rate for taking out ANY electronic systems, including missles anywhere, yes instead they go for the unreiable 60BILLION dollar system that oddly enough is made by the companies that gave oh so much money to campaign funds. You can find more on HAARP at MANY webistes and the offical military page, whos addy i have forgotten) but hes taking it one step further and its damn scary.
Old 05-03-2001, 11:10 AM   #8
adamzion
Coronation Incarnate

[quote]Originally posted by jaguar
*laughz, love the shrub bit

It's hardly creative of me, but thanks.

Yes, he is, but my point is that the only reason he is there as he is easy to maipulate, hes stupid no question, when he speaks off the cuff he causes an international incident every time, he needs his advisers, and they manipulate him to thier own ends (Ashcroft?).

More to the point, Shrub is totally in the hands of his advisors, many of which, you may have noticed, held similar positions of power in Bosh Sr.'s administration. Shrub is, at best, a pleasant face on a misguided, out-of-date regime. How else can you explain the push for a space-based missle defense system- which trashes the ABM treaty, will cost tens of billions of dollars, and may not work after all of that- in a world where the primary nuclear threat comes not from ICBMs launched by the USSR but from terrorists carrying them in suitcases.

At the worse, Shrub is a pleasant face on a regime which is not merely misguided- it's entirely guided, in an extremely unwise direction.

Not that Al "Man o'Wood" Gore was much better, but c'mon,
Z
Old 05-04-2001, 02:56 AM   #9
jaguar
whig

thats the point i missed, the bomb that takes out new york, will either be in a briefcase(the old USSR gave out 50 of these to KGB agents, they recalled them and get 3 back, scary eh?) or in a satchel back attached to the bottom of a boat, and *no* amount of facny missles that don't hit are gonna help that
Old 05-04-2001, 12:06 PM   #10
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Sure, Dubya is doing things that we here are calling out-of-date. But...49 million people apparently agree with him and voted him into office.

Now I know that my home state of Missouri (excluding St. Louis) is about 10-15 years behind general society. (St. Louis is only 2 or 3 years behind.) So, what worries me is...are WE a bit ahead of the times? Is the majority of our country outdated?

I say yes to this. It's not like we have to be cosmopolitan like some of the folks in Europe, but this country is beginning to show its age...a little too much.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 01:28 PM   #11
adamzion
Coronation Incarnate

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
Sure, Dubya is doing things that we here are calling out-of-date. But...49 million people apparently agree with him and voted him into office.
Welp, as my Dad says, nobody ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

Not that they don't keep trying,
Z
Old 05-04-2001, 09:20 PM   #12
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Re: Questions of George's Intelligence

Quote:
Originally posted by adamzion
... How else can you explain the push for a space-based missle defense system- which trashes the ABM treaty, will cost tens of billions of dollars, and may not work after all of that- in a world where the primary nuclear threat comes not from ICBMs launched by the USSR but from terrorists carrying them in suitcases.
George Carlin noted two men in a rowboat who paddle into New York, throw a bag of deadly germs on the pier, and row back out to sea.

We cannot even stop whole containerloads of drugs. What is going to stop a tactical nuclear bomb. Hundreds (not just 10s) of billions of dollars on a questionable anti-ballistic missile system that responsible scientists say will not work but that Reaganites insist otherwise?

The title of this thread is "Questions of George's Intelligence". He would save a lot more lives if he prosecuted seven lying tobacco executives. Ahh... but there are more legalized bribes if you don't prosecute 7 lying corporate presidents. There are more legalized bribes if you waste $100billion on a questionable defense inititive.

In the thread "In the Navy, you can spend a pretty dime.." is a desperate need for carrier airplanes. Instead we waste money on an intercontinential missile defense when Patriot missiles (only theatre defense) cannot even hit one 1960 and 1970 Scud missile. Go figure.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 01:23 AM   #13
jaguar
whig

there is one key thing i pointed out b4. the missle system is purely a payoff to the companies that gave them so much in campaign funds.
IS canada there is a small US research station called HAARP. Its a series of VERY high power transmitter that can be aimed up ni any direction, they cause the ionisatino of a small aprt of the atonsphehere, whci frys any electronic systems, places, missles, sats etc that fly thgouh it, it cost 200,00 to set up a HAARP facality.
Officially HAARP has not operated since OCt '99 but u can pick it up ona radio at 3.39Mhz in most of the world its that powerful.
instead they choose a highly untested/unrelaible system cositng tens of billions.
Old 05-06-2001, 02:55 PM   #14
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
there is one key thing i pointed out b4. the missle system is purely a payoff to the companies that gave them so much in campaign funds.
IS canada there is a small US research station called HAARP. Its a series of VERY high power transmitter that can be aimed up ni any direction, they cause the ionisatino of a small aprt of the atonsphehere, whci frys any electronic systems, places, missles, sats etc that fly thgouh it, it cost 200,00 to set up a HAARP facality.
Officially HAARP has not operated since OCt '99 but u can pick it up ona radio at 3.39Mhz in most of the world its that powerful.
instead they choose a highly untested/unrelaible system cositng tens of billions.
It's a good bet that missiles are hardened against such a weapon, unfortunately -- after all, they have to operate in an environment full of nuclear-generated EMP. While I agree that ballistic missile defense no longer need be a high priority, I don't think this weapon could take the place of it.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 06:29 PM   #15
jaguar
whig

Exclamation

=)
Yea i know it sounds like that but HAARP isin't your average electormagnetic weapon, it creates a field that can PHYSICALY destorys the objects that pass through it.
http://server5550.itd.nrl.navy.mil/projects/haarp/
is the offical military page

"...large regions of the atmosphere could be lifted to an unexpectedly high altitude so that missiles encounter unexpected and unplanned drag forces with resultant destruction...

"Weather modification is possible by, for example, altering upper atmosphere wind patterns by constructing one or more plumes of atmospheric particles which will act as a lens or focusing device. ... molecular modifications of the atmosphere can take place so that positive environmental effects can be achieved. Besides actually changing the molecular composition of an atmospheric region, a particular molecule or molecules can be chosen for increased presence. For example, ozone, nitrogen, etc. concentrations in the atmosphere could be artificially increased..."

are quotes from
http://www.crystalinks.com/haarp.html

A quick search on http://www.google.com yields plenty of articles about HAARP, there are also many conspiricy theories surrounding it, including a system of mind control. Conspiricies aside, the uses of HAARP are large and very, very dangerous.