The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 06-26-2010, 04:49 AM   #1
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk

Belives of Love

Over the last year I have been questioning my believe in true love, and the idea of marring for romantic love.

I used to believe heavily in it but I'm starting to wonder more and more.

Is marring for love a good idea?

Is is possible to just spend enough time with someone and learn to love them?

And with a 51% divorce rate does it really matter anyway?

BTW I'm not anywhere near getting married. I'm a betta all alone ina goldfish bowl.

It is the ignorance of ignorance that lead to the death of knowledge

The Virgin Mary does not weep for her son, for he is in paradise. She weeps for the world , for we are in suffering.
toranokaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Keryx and I have been married for 8 years, we never fight. We are in love as any one can be. When we met I wasn't even looking for a girl friend just some one to go to dinner with, 10 days later we are married and living together. We have been through hell and back, homelessness broke and jobless with no prospects. But with the help of friends we have thrived. We pay back by helping others in need.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

true love does not exist.

rethink.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
Pie
Gone and done

True love does exist, but is not necessary for a happy/successful marriage.
Similarly, a marriage based on true love can come apart at the seams.

Genetics, parental history and similarity of standards & expectations are the greatest predictors for connubial longevity. As well as living in a blue state.

More stats.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #5
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Love is all there is
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
If you're in a male same-sex marriage, it's 50 percent more likely to end in divorce than a heterosexual marriage. If you're in a female same-sex marriage, this figure soars to 167 percent.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
SamIam

Love exists. I don't know about "true" love, though. A really good book on this is "Keeping the Love You Find: A Guide for Singles" by Harville Hendrix.

In the book Hendrix postulates that we pick romantic partners because they present us with the same situations that our care-givers did when we were children. So a woman who had a father who was always gone on business will be strongly attracted to emotionally unavailable men. A man whose mother was an alcoholic will be attracted to women with addiction problems. We try to resolve our childhood issues through our adult choices of romantic partners. The more dysfunctional our childhoods, the more dysfunctional our adult choses will be. We do not consciously do this, but we do it all the same.

When I look back on the men I have fallen the most heavily for this rings true for me. My father was an alcoholic, and he was often away from home due to his career in the military. As an adult I fell madly in love with men who had serious emotional problems that ensured they were unable to maintain a marriage or love relationship for the long term.

The one exception to this was the man I stayed married to for 20 years. I did not feel that mad, head-over heels love for him. Instead, I picked him consciously because I was so battered emotionally by the bad boys I had been involved with before. He was a stable, good man. I eventually divorced him in favor of another "bad boy."

I would just as soon not fall in love again because I always fall for an impossible man. If I ever do form another partnership, it will be on the basis of friendship and respect. Some other woman can have the Hell's Angel who makes her heart go pitty pat.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

The difference between true love and herpes is that herpes is forever.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
Nirvana
Back in 10

I just that romantic side of you SN!
Old 06-27-2010, 09:50 PM   #10
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

I worry about T-kaze sometimes.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:35 AM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by toranokaze View Post
Over the last year I have been questioning my believe in true love, and the idea of marring for romantic love.
Marrying for just romantic love would be a mistake. The Triangular Theory of Love gets at the balance you need to survive as a couple. Some healthy combination of intimacy, passion, and commitment. It doesn't feel the same way all the time, you need to be out in the flow living it.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:08 AM   #12
monster
I hear them call the tide

When your time comes, you'll know the answer, T. Until then, don't fret, enjoy what scraps of love and companionship come your way, and enjoy your time as a singleton. When you are ready to become part of a pair, you'll know, and whether that time is brought about by true love or compatabilty and a need for companionship is something you don't need to fret about until you get there. I think most mistakes in marriage are made by people marrying before they're ready, whether through peer pressure or desire to procreate or some other reason.

For some people that moment never comes, they are never ready. Such is life. Those who accept that and embrace it are generally happier than those who feel an obligation to get married/can't resist the temptation to try it and so make a poor choice. Like sneaking a peek at the last page of the whodunnit.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:11 AM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Let me sleep on it...
Old 06-28-2010, 09:16 AM   #14
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Love and compatibility are two different things. The best relationships have both.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #15
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Let me sleep on it...
Do ya love me? Will you love me forever? Do ya need me? Will you ever leave me will ya make me so happy for the rest of my life...