The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

View Poll Results: Where are you?
God plays an active role in my life 12 25.00%
God merely watches from a distance 10 20.83%
I want to believe, but have found no evidence of God 10 20.83%
There is no God 12 25.00%
Only fools could believe in God 4 8.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2005, 10:30 AM   #106
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Hmm....why dont i believe in God? Well .....simply put I looked at the available evidence and came to the conclusion that there is no God....having reached that conclusion I don't see a reason to arttificially insert God into my worldview. To me God, Gods , religion and faith are all just ideas which humanity has come up with to deal with questions which science had not yet found answers to. As far as I am concerned science can now make better answers than the bible ever could and leaves little or no room for the supernatural.

For me, religion is simply a way of seeking comfort , but having decided that there is no God ( I cannot emphasise that point enough....I dont simply "not believe in God"; rather I "know" there is no God, in much the same way as a Christian "knows" there is one.) it seems a hollow comfort at best.

I really do think Marx's view of religion as the opiate of the masses holds true. I choose not to delude myself with that opiate

Mr Noodle I wasnt being aggressive I was being humorous......for me the whole idea of God, Jesus, Shiva and Jehova all come under the same category as the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus....that is to say, a pleasant fiction with which we raise our children.

Last edited by DanaC; 02-23-2005 at 10:33 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:03 AM   #107
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Dana, since you believe there is no God, I have some questions for you.

1) It appears from your posts you believe science has the answers. Would you consider yourself a person who believes in the evolutionary theory as origin of man?

2) Do you consider yourself a "good" person or a "bad" person? How can you tell? Where did you establish your moral code? What makes a person good or bad in your view? What actions are good and bad in your view?

3) Do you have any concept of afterlife? Do you have a soul? If so, What happens to it when you die? If not, what makes each person unique?

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:23 PM   #108
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxCougar
Dana, since you believe there is no God...
I think I'll take a stab at these after DanaC does.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:31 PM   #109
mrnoodle
bent

and when you're done, i want to try something. it might fizzle, it might be a good time. since i believe the bible can answer any question regarding faith, i'm going to try to argue from a strictly biblical standpoint and see what happens. there are several really good online bibles now.

Starting with:

Matt. 16:1-4 -- "The Pharisees and Sadducees came to put Jesus to the test. They asked him to show them a miraculous sign from heaven. He replied, "In the evening you look at the sky. You say, 'It will be good weather. The sky is red.' And in the morning you say, 'Today it will be stormy. The sky is red and cloudy.' You know the meaning of what you see in the sky. But you can't understand the signs of what is happening right now. An evil and unfaithful people look for a miraculous sign. But none will be given to them except the sign of Jonah."

Then Jesus left them and went away. "