The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 08-21-2007, 08:01 AM   #136
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I feel good. Now I know there really IS a DOG! Praise!
Old 08-27-2007, 10:19 AM   #137
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

I was tryin to see if there was any news on the plea deal with him and found his Wiki info had some past allegations of dog fighting.
Personal

2001-2007: Minor controversies, troubles, and incidents

Between his selection by the Atlanta Falcons in the 2001 NFL Draft and early 2007, Vick was involved in number of smaller incidents or events:

* In 2007, Michael Boddie, his father, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that around 2001, Michael Vick was staging dogfights in the garage of the family's home in Newport News and kept fighting dogs in the family's backyard, including injured ones which the father nursed back to health. Boddie said his son had been urged to not engage in the activity, but continued. He stated "This is Mike's thing. And he knows it."
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:38 AM   #138
smurfalicious
Tool. Not the band - you are one.

Quote:
As Falcons quarterback Mike Vick prepares to formally enter a guilty plea on Monday morning,{snip} some league insiders are wondering if/when team owner Arthur Blank will turn his eye toward the folks who were in a position to know (or, at a minimum, to find out) whether Vick was a disaster waiting to happen.

{snip}

In October 2004, Vick was involved in a strange incident at an airport, where two guys who were traveling with him (including Quanis Phillips) allegedly lifted a watch belonging to a luggage-screening employee. Two months later, the Falcons gave Vick a contract extension containing $37 million in bonuses.

So did anyone bother to ask whether Vick and his association with guys like Quanis Phillips was cause for concern before printing out the check for the initial $7.5 million installment? Should the team have looked more carefully at Vick's overall lifestyle before paying him that much money?

The easy answer is "hell yes."

But the bigger issue is whether someone should have raised these questions in advance, and whether anyone actually did. Rich McKay, the Falcons G.M., wasn't on the job when the team drafted Vick, and Blank wasn't the owner. So shouldn't someone have suggested a full background check on the guy before giving him that much money?

Maybe they did, and maybe the security staff couldn't find anything. Or maybe they did, and maybe there were red flags that McKay and/or Blank ignored.

Even if the ultimate reason for not taking a serious look-see into off-field habits of Vick, or for not paying attention to any warning signs that were found, is that Blank was sufficiently smitten with Vick to ignore the problems, someone should have told the emperor that he was butt-naked. In our view, that responsibility ultimately fell to McKay. But McKay might have been reluctant to make ways, or might have been distracted by his desire at the time to politick for the Commissioner's job.

Though we doubt that the Falcons will be flapping their dirty laundry to the press regarding one of the most embarrassing episodes in league history, we think it makes a lot of sense to keep a close eye on the front office over the next few months, because we're convinced that someone is gonna get fired over this.

It might just be McKay.

smurfalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:40 AM   #139
smurfalicious
Tool. Not the band - you are one.

Quote:
Steve Wyche of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, who wrote this weekend that the Falcons will attempt to recover $22 million in previously paid bonus money. Pasquarelli responded, "I've actually got the contract sitting right next to me" and then added, "I believe they could probably go after closer to $28 or $29 million."

smurfalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:15 PM   #140
jester
why so serious

Poor, poor V, now it's Weed
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:23 PM   #141
binky
all hollowed out

Actually the most likeable thing about him is that he smokes weed
Old 09-27-2007, 10:20 PM   #142
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I heard a rumor last night, that an ongoing investigation will result in the indictments of several big names, in several different sports, over dog fighting.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:44 PM   #143
lookout123
changed his status to single

really? hmmm. i'll bet that's why rex grossman got benched.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:09 AM   #144
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

If a man named "Rex" goes for dog fighting I will lose faith in humanity.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:00 AM   #145
jester
why so serious

here rex, here rex - come here boy
Old 09-28-2007, 01:32 PM   #146
jester
why so serious

Indiana bank suing Vick over car loans

hop on board - it just keeps gettin better.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:24 PM   #147
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
really? hmmm. i'll bet that's why rex grossman got benched.
That's right, he's white isn't he?
Old 09-29-2007, 04:02 PM   #148
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Sports stars, whether we like it or not, are role models for our kids. People who are cruel to animals are not the people I want my kids imitating.

Sports players get too much leeway, just because they play sports. It's not anymore ok for them to use drugs, or cheat, or break the law in any other way than it is for anyone else to. I think they should be held to the same standards that everyone else in the world is held to.

I'm glad he lost his commercial contracts. When it starts affecting their money, people take notice.

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:51 PM   #149
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I fully agree with you, Lady Sidhe.
But, I would also like to have parents help their kids put "stars" of any kind, in perspective. They are not heroes.
They are athletes or actors or musicians or whatever, but not heroes, and not necessarily worth emulating.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:28 PM   #150
rkzenrage

Precisely. A "football hero" is just some guy who is good at something that, if we trained a gorilla or orangutan to do no human could touch them"... I am NOT impressed.
Humans are so arrogant, our engineers are so far behind what ants, spiders and termites, among many others can do it is sad.
If we took copper out of the equation we would be back to the stone ages tomorrow.
Our arrogance is our largest weakness and will be the end of us if we never learn to overcome it.
Hero, there have been many and none that we celebrate on a regular basis and the ones that we do, we don't celebrate what makes them heroes.
Again, our arrogance, we don't want to hear about how they overcame but how they conquored.... so pathetic.