The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 09-07-2015, 04:04 PM   #46
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

^Me Too^
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:43 PM   #47
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Seems Casey was doing well at Riverside too. That's where I misspent my youth. Riverside Amusement park had a 1/5th mile paved oval track, which is great for spectators. To short to go really fast, so they'd have to duke it out through traffic. In Casey's day they were averaging about 40 for 25 laps, in mine they were closer to 50. If that sounds awfully slow, try in in a local parking lot, it's like doing 15 mph through the grocery store with your shopping cart.

The cars were latter '30s coupes, gutted out with roll cages and no glass. Minimum weight was around 1200 lbs. Any V-8 engine(mostly Chevy and Ford) under 301 cubic inches, as modified as you could afford, with a single carburetor, open headers, and no blowers. Burning a racing fuel that made exhaust which smelled sickeningly sweet from the nitromethane.

Every Saturday afternoon we'd go to the park, slip into the woods behind the Rollercoaster and hang out for awhile. Then when the race teams started arriving we'd stroll into the pits and hang out with the drivers and crews. Then just before the racing started, we'd walk across the track and up into the stands. The only thing we had to do is make sure to get our hand stamped with the invisible ink that glowed under the blacklight, when going to the toilet or refreshment stand. If we forgot, it was pay to get back in, which usually wasn't an option, or hang outside until whoever drove came out. The woods/pits route was out after they started racing. A lot of time invested, but every Saturday night for five months, times seven years, adds up to about $600. Shit, you could buy several running used cars for that kind of money, if we had it.

The feature race was 25 laps with a 50 now and then. Then once a year came the 500, not miles, laps, which was 100 miles. That was the biggie, the one you missed family shit and cancelled dates to see, Riverside's superbowl. And like the NFL's superbowl, more often than not it was boring. It's a long race, don't break something, and don't dice it up with other drivers because there's plenty of time. Ho hum. But sometimes two or three cars would get into a serious battle.

Every single one in our crowd rooted for Gene Dixon's M-6 sponsored by Walkers Motors who supplied our school busses... except me. No surprise there. I liked Buddy Krebb's flying 0. If Dixon won, the ride home was rough with everyone breaking my balls. If Krebbs won, I couldn't return the abuse being seriously outnumbered, so I would take the high road... I could be gloating smugly just as well up there.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2015, 12:50 PM   #48
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

The closest track that raced regularly was about 60 miles away. I can remember going there with the neighbor boy and his dad a few times. His dad even raced, and won, occasionally.

Quarter-mile, round dirt track.

That was a lot of fun. Fist fights, driving around the track before the race, cotton candy, popcorn, hot dogs, live music...Pretty cool stuff for a kid raised by safety nazis, and fraidy cats.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:00 PM   #49
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

We used to go to the Stafford Speedway in CT, once is awhile. Half mile dirt oval that had 4 inch wire mesh above the wall that protected the spectators. Know what, that wire doesn't stop dirt worth a shit.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:30 PM   #50
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

This would be in the late '50s, the local Lions Club sponsored a Walkathon, whatever that is. I supposed it's walking(heel&toe) for some set distance.

The guy that won is tagged as from Ft Monmouth, NJ, but that's a fer piece down the road, so he's probably local, maybe home visiting, but being in the military stationed at Ft Monmouth, that's his address.

The guy in the funny hat was the race organizer, and on the far right the President of the Lions Club. My Dad was chairman of the Board of Selectmen at that time, so I guess that's why he got tapped to present the trophy.

The trophy looks like a piece of crap to me, but I guess they all are unless you win the America's Cup or the Stanley Cup.
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2015, 08:13 PM   #51
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

This is where Pop worked before the Army called.
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2015, 06:18 PM   #52
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

There's badass Aunt Dot again. No idea why this was in a NH newspaper, or why they fucked up the which was who in the caption. Can't figure out the backdrop either, looks like sand with holes dug in it, but there seems to be a bottom edge like a curtain or poster. Could be the shot out target board, I guess. Whatever, Dot don't care.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2015, 01:45 PM   #53
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:22 AM   #54
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The VFW, not to be outgunned by Dot's Ladies Pistol Team, finally got their 155mm Howitzer. I love the attraction of possible new members noticing the big gun, excuse. They're right on Main Street, often with crowds big enough on summer weekends they spill out into the road, and the most popular bar for many many miles around. Nah, it made the collective memberships dicks 155mm longer. Probably officers get a double share.

It says members from as far away as Wales, that's Wales, MA, not across the pond.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2015, 12:00 AM   #55
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That howitzer is now been moved from down by the hall up to a small berm beside the road. Looks like it was leveled up with 2x12 cutoffs, and a bunch of extras piled underneath. Wonder when, and/or if, they'll pour anchors.

Ran into badass aunt Dot on Friday, told her I belong to a small online community and had posted a couple clippings. The one of the pistol club and the rabid raccoon story, so now people all over the world know her as badass Aunt Dot. She grinned like only a wrinkled 95 year old lady can, and said, "I lived that."
Yes you did, Dot, yes you did.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:20 AM   #56
Griff
still says videotape

Nice!
Old 12-19-2015, 08:46 PM   #57
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Whenever my Cub Scout troop went anywhere, there was the den mother, usually one or two other moms, plus always an older Boy Scout. I always thought he was a bully, but come to find out he was a murderer.

This is the first three pages of the story as written almost a year later in a magazine. Surprisingly they got the major points right.
More poop on this murderer
He murdered his folks and brother in 1958 at 17 years old
Went to jail in 1959 at 18.
Paroled in 1974 at 33. Got married and had a job.
Jailed for not reporting to his parole officer in 1982 at 41. 8years and still on parole?
Was denied parole, and preparing for another parole hearing in 1984 at 43 when he failed to report back to a residence in Boston when he'd been assigned.

Also, I just got the trial story.

Certainly has had a troubled life, bad karma for bullying us cub scouts .
Old 03-23-2016, 07:42 AM   #58
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

This is a drone video of the old cemetery on Chapin road. Some of the dates go back to the 1700s. I had to turn the sound down half way.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:15 PM   #59
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But they still just do what they want to do!
Why can't they be like we were,
Perfect in every way?
What's the matter with kids today?

Old 04-10-2016, 11:21 PM   #60
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

In 1763 the town was incorporated as part of Wilbraham, until it split off in 1868. The road from NY to Boston passed through until Ben Franklin moved it over to make the Boston Post Road come out even. The Scantic river at an elevation of about 250 ft, squeezed in between 1000 ft peaks, was fed by a number of streams, so it had water power. But being 15 miles from the City of Springfield, the Connecticut River, and the railroad, when horse and wagon was the only alternative, I'm amazed how much industry happened.
Attached Images