The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:42 PM   #46
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Driving While under Stimulus

Oh Hobo. Let me play my oboe
Let me drive like I was blind.
If I am distracted. A charge redacted
Then I have achieved murder without a crime.

Oh walker. I am a talker.
Let me drive my mobile cell.
If I hit right. And can take flight.
Then more notches and compacted swine.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #47
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I have a car issue.

When I start the engine, a fair amount of water suddenly drips out from underneath (say, 1/4 cup or so.) Almost underneath the driver's seat, but a little more towards the middle. It is definitely not dripping before the engine starts, and it is definitely water and not some other fluid. Over the next 30 seconds to a minute, it gradually stops. This happens every time I start the car, and only started maybe a week ago.

What's going on? And please tell me it is not an expensive thing to fix.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #48
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

sounds to me like the condensation from the A/C is building up and pushed out when the engine starts. Is the A/C or fan ON when you start the car?
There is a little drain "hose" under the dash somewhere that is probably leaking because it came off or dryrotted or or or. I had it happen in my Nissan on the passenger side. It must have been accidentally kicked off at one point and cost a total of $0 to fix.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:51 PM   #49
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Yes, the A/C is always left on because it's a thousand degrees here. I knew condensation could drip, but I didn't realize it could build up in some reservoir. Is it something that really matters? Could I (make Mr. Clod) get under there and reattach an obvious hose, or is it a more internal thing?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:10 PM   #50
classicman

It is probably (if this is what it is) very easy to fix and Mr. Clod should be able to do it no problem. If the male end where the hose connects is broken it could be another matter.
If the hose just got knocked off, its nothing more than slipping it back on.
I have a feeling one of my kids, when they were younger like yours, accidentally knocked it loose. Have him take a look and see where its dripping from when you start the car.

Oh and I won't do the need additional data, facts, info post yet.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #51
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

The cartalk guys also talk about that hose getting clogged and the reservoir overflowing.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #52
glatt

So it's just water, right? If it leaks in the wrong place, will it even cause rust or mildew in a car in drought stricken arid Texas? You would think it would just evaporate quickly. Why fix it at all?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:11 PM   #53
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Keep a bottle to collect the water. You might need it later.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:17 PM   #54
classicman

Good point, Pete.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #55
glatt

I've got a car question.

Rough idle.
The car is old. After it warms up from driving around, when I stop at a light and push in the clutch, or shift out of gear, it goes into an idle where it's pretty rough. The CDs in the door pocket start to rattle against each other. The hard roof liner starts to vibrate against the roof. If I apply a little pressure to the accelerator and ever so slightly rev the engine, the vibrations and roughness go away. It does not have a rough idle when cold. (I understand the computer sends different signals to the engine when it is still cold than when it has warmed up and the fuel mixture is different then.) It is not rough when driving. This has been going on for a couple months.

How to improve? We had new spark plugs and wires (and presumably distributor cap?) replaced about 30K miles ago as part of a tune up done then, so they should still be good.

It has 115K miles now. We did that first (only) tune up at about 85K.

I could just go replacing stuff, but would like to know where a good place to start is. I was thinking fuel injectors. We've never done anything with those. Are clogged fuel injectors likely to cause symptoms only during idle?

Oh, this is a 1996 Geo Prizm LSI with the 1.6 liter engine and manual transmission. 115K miles. Starts fine. Drives fine. But idle is rough. Never stalls.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #56
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

OH! OH! Is the check engine light on?

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #57
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I've got a car question.

Rough idle. ... After it warms up from driving around ... it goes into an idle where it's pretty rough. ... If I apply a little pressure to the accelerator and ever so slightly rev the engine, the vibrations and roughness go away. It does not have a rough idle when cold. ... It is not rough when driving. This has been going on for a couple months.
That's an unusual combination of symptoms; but, I've experienced something like it. In my case, I noticed that it initially occurred during periods of high humidity and was exacerbated by cold-wet weather. It was a minor distraction that I put off having checked out for a few months until the condition began rapidly deteriorating to nearly disabling the vehicle. It turned out to be a faulty oxygen sensor which I had replaced under warranty.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #58
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I've got a car question.

Rough idle.
The car is old. After it warms up from driving around, when I stop at a light and push in the clutch, or shift out of gear, it goes into an idle where it's pretty rough. The CDs in the door pocket start to rattle against each other. The hard roof liner starts to vibrate against the roof. If I apply a little pressure to the accelerator and ever so slightly rev the engine, the vibrations and roughness go away. It does not have a rough idle when cold. (I understand the computer sends different signals to the engine when it is still cold than when it has warmed up and the fuel mixture is different then.) It is not rough when driving. This has been going on for a couple months.

How to improve? We had new spark plugs and wires (and presumably distributor cap?) replaced about 30K miles ago as part of a tune up done then, so they should still be good.

It has 115K miles now. We did that first (only) tune up at about 85K.

I could just go replacing stuff, but would like to know where a good place to start is. I was thinking fuel injectors. We've never done anything with those. Are clogged fuel injectors likely to cause symptoms only during idle?

Oh, this is a 1996 Geo Prizm LSI with the 1.6 liter engine and manual transmission. 115K miles. Starts fine. Drives fine. But idle is rough. Never stalls.
Glatt, good news! That is a super easy fix.

Look to the right of the steering wheel for one of these. Twist the knob on the Left CLOCKWISE until the sound of the rough idling disappears. If you turn it all the way clockwise and you still hear the rough idle you may need to get a new one.
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #59
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

that's the check engine light override knob, isn't it?
Old 11-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #60
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Yep. And the better ones go all the way up to 11...