The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 11-17-2003, 08:31 AM   #1
mwbEEf
Not a urine monkey

Energy Drink Discussion: Can you handle the Monster?

So recently in the store downstairs they have been pushing energy drinks such as Red Bull and whatnot. One of these wonderful drinks is the Lo-Carb Monster Energy drink. This is 16oz of pure adrenaline-pumping, heart exploding power. It also works well as a follow up to the morning cup of coffee.

MONSTER!

The can contains the following warning:

"Consume Responsibly - Limit (3) cans per day. Not recommended for children, pregnant women, or people sensitive to caffeine."

Does anyone have an energy drink to top the Monster?
Old 11-17-2003, 08:44 AM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I urge everyone who takes any illegal drug to research, study, and know EXACTLY what the drug does to your body before even touching it.

Same goes for over-the-counter legal drugs.

Double goes for drugs sold as if they were mundane "drinks".

In this case you should investigate the effects on the body of taurine, l-carnitine, panax ginseng root extract, caffeine, sodium chloride, niacinamide, riboflavin, guarana seed extract, inositol, glucuronalactone, pyridoxine hydrochloride, and cyanobalmin.

I know sodium chloride and caffeine. Niacinamide and riboflavin are B-vitamins. I happen to remember that taurine is an amino acid and prevents blindness in cats.

Have a nice day in the library.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 08:48 AM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

And by the way, this "low carb" drink contains a higher proportion of calories per ounce than Coke, Pepsi, or fruit juices. And if you drink it and sit at your desk job, it won't matter how fast your heart pounds, you aren't burning those calories off.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:08 AM   #4
mwbEEf
Not a urine monkey

No way!

20 calories for 16oz, Coke and Pepsi can't beat that! Unless we are talking diet coke and diet Pepsi, then yes, the Monster is defeated. Now the regular Monster...yeah, that sucker has so much freakin' sugar.

And I base the safety of this product on the following picture: Monster is safe
Old 11-17-2003, 09:12 AM   #5
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Yeah, good that you included fruit juices. I was quite shocked when I found out that orange juice has as many calories as Pepsi. Not that I'm saying Orange Juice and Pepsi are equally worthwhile in terms of nutrition!!
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 09:19 AM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Oh right, I was looking at the "regular" Monster when I noticed that...

But that means you have to add maltodextrin, potassium sorbate, sodium acid sulfate, sodium benzoate, sucralose (splendaŽ), acesulfame potassium, and pyridoxine to your research list.

MMMMmmmm, that's GREAT acesulfame potassium!
Old 11-17-2003, 09:52 AM   #7
mwbEEf
Not a urine monkey

hahahaha ... Splenda

it sounds like a freakin' hair-care product to give my fly-ass weave some extra glow - Soul Glow

Maybe its both, kind of like that old SNL skit - New Shimmer

Jane Curtain - It's a floor wax!
Dan Akroyd - It's a dessert topping you cow!
Old 11-17-2003, 02:42 PM   #8
russotto
Professor

Potassium sorbate: preservative, kills bacteria. Generally recognized as safe.

sodium acid sulfate: Artificial flavor. Generally recognized as safe.

http://www.jones-hamilton.com/sectio...ducts/sas.html

sodium benzoate: another common preservative.

acesulfame potassium: artificial sweetener, in use since 1967 but only recently approved for soft drinks in the US.

pyridoxine is Vitamin B6

sucralose is another artificial sweetener, which some claim is toxic as it is a chlorinated organic compound.

l-carnitine is an amino acid (non essential) which is claimed (in rather dubious sources) to extend life and provide all sorts of wonderful benefits/

panax ginseng is a plant, so the extract contains god-knows-what.

guarana is another plant, apparently the extract contains mostly various xanthines (stimulants in the same family as caffeine). It also contains tannic acid, which is an astringent usually associated with tea.

inositol is necessary for the formation of cell formations, but it's not essential in the diet. In large doses it's reported (again in dubious sources) to be an anti-depressant.

glucuronalactone is a carbohydrate, a metabolite of glucose.

pyridoxine hydrochloride is good old B6 again.

cyanobalmin is B12.

So what you have here is a caffeinated (theobromated, theophyllated, etc), sweetened (artificially or otherwise, depending on the version) nutritional supplement, plus ginseng.

I'll stick to Coke, thank you.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 02:49 PM   #9
tonksy
100:10100

i don't like the kind of 'energy' you get from said drinks. i like real stuff. real sugar, real butter, real salt. i don't trust garden burgers or low fat mayo. not big on medication....tylenol and marijuana...maybe nyquil, these are okay. twinkies scare me...i had a friend leave one on his nightstand for a month while he was at the beach...still moist and golden upon his return....you really want that in your body?
Old 11-17-2003, 05:32 PM   #10
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by tonksy
i don't like the kind of 'energy' you get from said drinks. i like real stuff. real sugar, real butter, real salt. i don't trust garden burgers or low fat mayo. not big on medication....tylenol and marijuana...maybe nyquil, these are okay. twinkies scare me...i had a friend leave one on his nightstand for a month while he was at the beach...still moist and golden upon his return....you really want that in your body?
You'd be surprised what's in a lot of things that we eat/drink.It's downright scary and makes me want to make my own food! Just hope that you never *have* to give up that real butter, sugar, etc. But, some of the "fake" stuff isn't THAT bad...some of it is an "acquired taste" for sure.

And a big old EW to that Twinkie on the nightstand!!

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 06:00 PM   #11
tonksy
100:10100

i've heard reports that while the fake stuff may be better for your cholesterol or 'heart healthy' and that the fake sugar is better for diabetics but the fake stuff isn't really digested by your body and kida collects but i never really looked much into it.
i used to buy the tub of spread (and sometimes still do) but my pediatrician said that regular stick butter was better for the girls and that's enough for me. i have a butter dish and keep a stick in it on the counter instead of tub spread. *shrugs* makes for an outstanding grilled cheese sandwich.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:29 PM   #12
ladysycamore

Quote:
i've heard reports that while the fake stuff may be better for your cholesterol or 'heart healthy' and that the fake sugar is better for diabetics but the fake stuff isn't really digested by your body and kida collects but i never really looked much into it.
As a type 2 diabetic, I know all too well about the fake sugar (or Aspartame/NutraSweet). From what I've read, no that's not good for long term consumption:
Aspartame (Nutrasweet) Toxicity Information Center

Stevia is said to be a much safer alternative:
The Stevia Story

I guess when I said "fake stuff" I really meant more along the lines of "natural alternatives" that anything chemical, much like following a whole foods or Macrobiotic diet.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
Old 11-17-2003, 07:07 PM   #13
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I also exist on a anti-sugar diet (hypoglycemia.) I have found that some sugar free products out there have something called sorbital. Have you heard of this, Lady Sycamore? It seems that most things made with this are intented for diabetics, so I make the assumption it would probably work for me. But I dunno. I suppose I should google it.

Also, I have found that I generally *feel* so much better when I stay away from weird chemicals and stuff...I use to shop at the whole foods store. Unfortunately, convenience and price seem to outweigh that value for me a lot of the time. :/
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 08:13 PM   #14
ladysycamore

Quote:
Originally posted by case
I also exist on a anti-sugar diet (hypoglycemia.) I have found that some sugar free products out there have something called sorbital. Have you heard of this, Lady Sycamore? It seems that most things made with this are intented for diabetics, so I make the assumption it would probably work for me. But I dunno. I suppose I should google it.
Yes I have heard of it...it's a type of sugar alcohol from what I understand.

Quote:
Also, I have found that I generally *feel* so much better when I stay away from weird chemicals and stuff...I use to shop at the whole foods store. Unfortunately, convenience and price seem to outweigh that value for me a lot of the time. :/
Sadly, that is true (about the costs). I suppose you could get some products at a "regular" market, but I personally wouldn't trust it (meaning if they don't specialize in it, then is it "for real"). Fortunately, I only go to the health food market for me, and I don't buy a whole heck of a lot anyway.

Old 11-17-2003, 08:34 PM   #15
Razorfish
Superhero

Quote:
twinkies scare me...i had a friend leave one on his nightstand for a month while he was at the beach...still moist and golden upon his return....you really want that in your body?
Yea twinkies and other little debbie/hostess snacks contain some pretty scary stuff (even though their so good!). The cream filling in twinkies is esentially curdled milk, sugar, and loads of preservatives.

On another note, does anyone know of a good site with unbiased research about herbal supplements and their true merits? A lot of sites give you definitions and uses but they also sell these same supplements. I doubt they would downplay a product their selling. If anyone can point me in a good direction it would be greatly appreciated.