The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 11-12-2003, 11:38 AM   #496
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

I'm familiar with the concept of the game and have seen the trailer for it (Rare sent out a mini-movie with the "Saving Private Conker" cinema and other skits, and it was hysterical). The sense of humor is great, and the fact that _Rare_ (whose other N64 output was often just short of Teletubby overcuteness) put it out was awesome.

I'm just not much for 3D run-and-jump-and-climb games in general, so while it may be the masterpiece of its genre, it's not on my must-have list. (Sort of like how I can't stop pimping Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, but it's pretty much the antithesis of what a FPS addict would likely be into.)

Not to mention that I have waaaaay too many games that I haven't even started playing yet. Kingdom Hearts has been on standby forever. I may get to Metroid Prime soon, because my wife's having surgery next week and will be on leave for a couple of weeks, so I'll let her use the PS2 for Fatal Frame 2 and Silent Hill 3. I haven't picked up VF4: Evolution yet, but I need to. Fatal Frame 2, Monster Rancher 4 (drool!), Manhunt, and TWO classics packs (Midway Arcade Treasures and Intellivision Lives) are all tentatively scheduled for next week...

Duck's bastard cousin is, of course Kyoshiro of Samurai Shodown fame.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 11:52 AM   #497
dave

Ah, but see, I am not an FPS addict. I am a Quake addict. I hate other FPS', like Unreal Tournament and its ilk. Actually, I like anything by id, but everything else just seems to suck (to me). Disgaea actually sounds pretty interesting, and when it's $20, I might pick it up and try it out.

I know how it is about having way too many games on the plate. I reckon I have about 130 that I haven't really had a chance to explore and beat to death yet. One day...
Old 11-13-2003, 01:04 PM   #498
dave

Favorite Video Game Moment Ever

I was just thinking about this, so I thought I'd post it.

In Metal Gear Solid, Solid Snake gets captured and tortured. After he's been tortured, he's in a holding cell. There's a guard outside the cell checking in on him periodically. Crawling around on the floor, you find a ketchup packet. You have a system built into your body called the "Codec" where you can communicate with certain people. One of them suggests to pop the packet and lie still on the floor, making it look like you've bled to death. When the guard comes in, clock him and you're free.

So, the first time I'm doing this, I take the packet, pop it, lie in it... The guard comes up, looks in the room and goes

"HAHAHAHAHA! What are you doing with that packet of ketchup?"

I laughed so hard I cried. I wasn't at all expecting <b>that</b> to happen, and I found myself shocked and delighted. That's one of the many things that make it my favorite video game ever. But that's definitely gotta be my favorite video game moment.
Old 11-16-2003, 05:58 PM   #499
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Need I say more?

elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 06:10 PM   #500
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Whoo-fucking-hoo!!

Congratulations!

I understand that GTA3 and Vice City are now being sold in a combo pack. Go get it. You will not regret this purchase.

So, did Dave spend the whole night whispering in your ear "buy a PS2" or did he just work his wicked way with you?

This probably wouldn't have happened if he'd stayed over at Tony's ...

(Don't feel too bad, since I'm now going to have to get a GBA.)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 06:37 PM   #501
elSicomoro

Dave offered me $40 for my PSOne and most of the games, if I would buy a PS2 today. I gave it some thought, considered the financial feasibility, then went to Game Stop and bought it, along with NHL 2004 and two memory cards.

I was going to buy it next month anyway, so what the hell?
Old 11-16-2003, 07:32 PM   #502
dave

The biggest thing, honestly, was that he only had one PlayStation controller. I was like "What the fuck, man?" and then I decided to take action.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:17 PM   #503
mwbEEf
Not a urine monkey

nice Syc...very nice
Old 11-16-2003, 10:53 PM   #504
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Yet another new bundle of joy here on The Cellar. Sort of brings a tear of happiness to the eye...

Old 11-17-2003, 10:53 PM   #505
wolf
lobber of scimitars

And herein lies the truth of why we don't have children.

They'd cut into our already scarce gaming time and would eventually want to play with our toys.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 11:02 PM   #506
elSicomoro

So, I'm trying to figure out how I am going to balance my time between the computer, the PS2, digital cable, and Rho. Looks like I'm going to have to cut back on time with Rho.

I played a couple hours of NHL '04 tonight. Have to get used to using the joystick-dealie for movement...thumb went numb after 6 games. So far though, I'm digging the hell out of it. Can't wait to get this bitch hooked up online.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:16 AM   #507
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
So, I'm trying to figure out how I am going to balance my time between the computer, the PS2, digital cable, and Rho. Looks like I'm going to have to cut back on time with Rho.
*rolls my eyes at you, hands on hips, neck twist* HMPH!

Wolf: AMEN to what you said about not having kids!

*childfree is the way to beeeee for meeee!*

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 11:41 AM   #508
dave

You know, I don't mind people not having kids, 'cause it's one less person to get in my way on the fucking road. But could everyone please <b>SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT IT? NOT EVERY POST NEEDS TO BE ON THE MERITS OF NOT HAVING LITTLE UGLIES! ESPECIALLY NOT IN THIS BEAUTIFUL GAMING THREAD!</b>

I'm damn glad Rho and Sycamore aren't having kids, 'cause I can't imagine how ugly the spawn of T-$ would be. Even having Rho's genes to make it less ugly, I still can't imagine...
Old 11-18-2003, 04:53 PM   #509
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
I'm damn glad Rho and Sycamore aren't having kids, 'cause I can't imagine how ugly the spawn of T-$ would be. Even having Rho's genes to make it less ugly, I still can't imagine...
Heh, you are too kind sir. BTW, your care package has been mailed. Take note when you receive it: I did *not* tape it up...lol!

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 04:58 PM   #510
dave

Who did, the retard?