The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 10-04-2005, 02:23 PM   #16
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Why Kruggerands and not American Eagles?

I bought a Kruggerand, but I needed its metallurgical makeup and the Eagle would not do. Tip: Kruggerands are alloyed with copper and Eagles are alloyed with silver. My recipie was for rose gold, and I needed the copper.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:44 PM   #17
Griff
still says videotape

Folks are more familiar with the Kruggerands, haina? sorry couldn't resist putting that in the Wyoming Valley patter.

I expected to be able to ask slang "what then?" but he kept answering the question.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:16 PM   #18
Fleur
drama queen

If it's not this flu; it will be any flu that comes down the pike, that's for sure. Me, I'm not gonna eat any Peking Duck (not that I ever did), just to play it safe... Nat. Geo. was very informing and just as confusing, maybe yes, maybe no.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:53 AM   #19
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur
Me, I'm not gonna eat any Peking Duck (not that I ever did), just to play it safe...
I would really recommend against that as well, particularly since your ducks are coming from New Jersey.

You do know why New Jersey got all the Toxic Waste Dumps and Pennsylvania got all the lawyers, right? New Jersey got first choice.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 06:10 AM   #20
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Slightly OT but regarding ducks.....

I watched a programme on Ch4 (UK channel) called "Supermarket Secrets". Felt quite small, as I believed I had a handle on where my food came from.

Turns out, in the UK, the RSPCA (Royal Scoiety for the Protection of Animals) issues a Freedom Food certificate to farms that breed animals for slaughter responsibly. I had heard all about battery farmed poultry - and always buy free range - but hadn't thought about ducks. Perhaps I assumed they were shot on my local duckpond or something Anyway, not a single duck breeder in the UK qualifies for the Freedom Food certificate.

Undercover filming showed quite nauseating scenes, and although I'm not sentimental about animals it certainly made me wake up to the possibility of infection from eating animals housed in those conditions.

I decided after that I wouldn't eat duck until I knew where it came from. Which doesn't sound too much of a hardship, but having recently discovered an All You Can Eat Chinese which has Crispy Fried Duck I feel I am suffering for my convictions!
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 03:01 PM   #21
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmbraceLife
Any thoughts on preparedness, risk, threat, etc??
Yes, begin preparing now! You'll want to pick a safe room, a-la Homeland Security 2002, and seal it shut with plastic sheeting and duct tape. As viruses can squeeze through very small gaps in order to attack your air-hole, you'll need to close off all possible ventilation points.

Once you've sealed the room so that it is shut air tight, you'll want to ensure you have food and water. Bottled water lasts a long time, but canned food is sometimes questionable. For the longest lasting, most nutrient rich food, your best bet are baked beans, pickled cabbage, and canned chili. Stocked with this stuff, you'll be plenty comfortable in your safe room.

Be sure to avoid ducks, piegons, and computers connected to the internet, as they are all prone to viruses.

Cook all meats to at least 160F for at least ten minutes.

Sneeze into a tissue, not your hands! You mother raised you better than that.

Just like New Orleans after Katrina, looting and Al Qaeda terrorism will be at their peak. In order to avoid confrontations with the unwashed and infected, place your flat screen television at the curb for pickup. Shortly after the pandemic sets in, you will be rescued from the rising waters by a basket lowered from a FEMA helicopter and be deposited at a major sporting arena where you'll enjoy your remaining days relaxing and enjoying football games from the stands.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 07:11 PM   #22
Fleur
drama queen

You give FEMA too much credit; they will bring oxcarts and yell, BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!!!! and they ain't gonna mean "Deadheads"......
Old 10-24-2005, 08:14 PM   #23
Griff
still says videotape

It is spreading. Shoot every migratory bird you see and send the carcasses to Jersey.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:28 PM   #24
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Ha. Wait until it gets around to us shooting migrating Europeans coming down the jetway.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:27 PM   #25
marichiko

OK, any bozo with a hummingbird feeder, outta the gene pool! NOW!
Old 11-08-2005, 03:11 PM   #26
Kitsune
still eats dirt

First reports of Bird Flu are coming in from Orlando.
Attached Images

Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 04:50 PM   #27
Griff
still says videotape

Ha!