The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 07-23-2003, 02:55 PM   #16
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Checked it out today. I threw a few fairly-random artists from my music collection at it, just to see what would turn up.

YES:

Mighty Mighty Bosstones (nearly the full library, including some benefit-CD tracks)
Quarterflash (had the Greatest Hits comp, which had the single I was looking for)
Jimmy Buffett (pretty good selection, though it'd be much cheaper to buy my long-lost boxed set from FYE, since it's per-track only here)

SORTA:

Kansas (the album I looked up had about half of its tracks available)
Replacements (two decent albums listed, tracks missing from Tim, all early albums are missing)
Fishbone (some tracks missing, critical early albums and newest stuff not listed)
Tubes (had the Greatest Hits comp, which fills many gaps, but little else)
the assorted P-Funk (had some Parliament, very little George Clinton, no Funkadelic, very little Bootsy)
Buzzcocks (about four or five songs, that's all)
Bela Fleck & the Flecktones (one album, not the one I wanted)

NO:

Frank Zappa (ouch. That's only, what, eighty albums missing?)
XTC (ouch again.)
Southern Culture on the Skids (two albums listed, but not available for download)
NOFX (probably not that surprising)
George Carlin (not exactly music, but since I buy his CDs in music stores...)
Specials (not found)

Survey says... I hope they can do better than that in the long run.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 05:46 PM   #17
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I checked it out too.

The classical selection bites. They don't even list Classical as a choice on their menu bar, but it's there if you search for individual discs. There's no opera, and a seemingly random smattering of warhorses. For example, only one Hindemith disc (I already have it). OK, well, Hindemith is icky and modern , how about Tchaikovsky? Not much better. No opera at all.

And the pricing is screwy. Take a disc of Mozart concertos that I found when I tried to look up on of my favorite clarinetists, Sabine Meyer. Now, folks, if any of you have even HEARD the name Sabine Meyer before and you're not a clarinet player, I'll give you a gold star. But the tracks on this disc are $1.99 a piece. By comparison, the Beach Boys albums are going for $0.99 a track. For another example, take a disc of two Ives symphonies. The tracks (9 of them) are $0.99 each... or you can download the whole album for $9.49. Unless my math is deficient, (9 x $0.99) < $9.49.

For the time being at least I still consider emusic.com to be a good value. They have a better selection of classical than anybody else online, plus other stuff I'm interested in here and there. (Check it out, vsp, they have 20 or so Carlin albums!!) Their selection tends to be quirkier since they don't have all the major labels, but that's fine with me because since I bought my first CD back in 1988 (I didn't even have a player at the time) I've pretty much bought a copy of all the common things that I'm interested in. So anything that's likely to pique my interest is probably somehting a little offbeat.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 06:48 PM   #18
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Can I have a gold star?

Oh, wait. That's OSCAR Meyer. But it's still good music.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 08:56 AM   #19
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

From buy.com, the people who pioneered shitty service at low prices on the Internet.

A week later, bad customer service report from buymusic.com
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 02:46 PM   #20
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I've been using buymusic.com for a few weeks now. So far, the experience has been good. The only problem I've had is with a Leonard Cohen song I downloaded last week--some encoding issue. It took them 3 days to respond to my e-mail, but the issue was resolved. Right now, they're running a "Buy 4 songs, get a 5th free" promo.

I've had no problems running an Athlon, Tob. What is this one, UT? A 1700?

The use provisions are a bit quirky--for example, the Universal songs I've downloaded can only be downloaded to one computer, but have unlimited transfers and burns. The Sony songs allows 3 computers, but only 5 burns and 5 transfers. I've only run across a few quirky situations thus far, e.g. you can only get some songs if you buy the entire album.

Too bad they don't offer a Paypal setup though--I'd rather go with that than a credit card.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 07:22 AM   #21
Tobiasly
hot

Thanks for the update syc. My <a href="http://www.neurosaudio.com/">MP3 player</a> doesn't yet support WMA DRM, but I'll surely keep an eye on it!
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 09:26 AM   #22
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

An interesting article on buymusic.com's privacy policy.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote