The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-27-2004, 12:02 PM   #31
warch
lurkin old school

Its so important to keep safe, organized official personal documents. I'm learning this slowly. Its hard if you've been sort of a nomad. Like the DMV, the INS is also a good teacher. There is no grace period. I need to get organized with my health records too. I have lost track of immunizations.

I look at the bureaucratic line as a sort of outward bound ropes course. You know it will be a gauntlet going in, so work towards a resilient, stubborn, unfrustratable, and unrelenting mindset. It serves you to be as un-impassioned, direct as possible. And when the shit really goes down, begging seems to work better than shouting.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 12:47 PM   #32
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyoake
why can't they be that competant when dealing with real criminals?
Because it is far easier to enforce the law against honest people, that's why. We show up for court dates, bring our credit cards, and say "yes sir" and "no ma'am" instead of whipping out an Uzi and trying to take out half the DMV.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:04 PM   #33
marichiko

What's really grim is when you've lost everything you've ever owned, including your all important paperwork. It is next to impossible to prove that you are who you are in such instances. Colorado will accept a notorized copy of your divorce or marriage degree, a notorized birth certificate, or a military ID. When I'd lost everything last year, I went down to get a copy of my divorce papers. The following coversation resulted:

Me: I need a notorized copy of my divorce degree

Clerk: That will be $22.75 and I'll need some ID.

Me: I lost all my paper-work. I DON'T have ID - that's what I need the divorce certificate for.

Clerk: Sorry, I cannot release that document without valid ID. Do you have a driver's license? That would work.

Me: They won't give me a license without valid ID. They said to come here.

Clerk: Sorry, can't help you. NEXT!

It was like being a character in a Kafka novel. Finally my ex got back to town (he'd been gone 3 weeks on a business trip) and had the decency to go down and get a notorized copy by showing them HIS ID, and he than handed the copy over to me and I took it down to the DMV and achieved official existance again. What an ordeal!
Old 08-27-2004, 01:18 PM   #34
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
What's really grim is when you've lost everything you've ever owned, including your all important paperwork.
I highly recommend getting a safe deposit box. The small ones don't cost that much. We have all our birth certificates, marriage license, and various financial documents in there.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 01:21 PM   #35
glatt

An insulated safe is cheaper in the long run. Pays for itself in about 2-3 years. Your stuff won't even burn in a fire, unless you live like half an hour away from the nearest fire department.

Of course, I should talk. All my stuff is in a plain old file cabinet.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 01:27 PM   #36
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
An insulated safe is cheaper in the long run. Pays for itself in about 2-3 years. Your stuff won't even burn in a fire, unless you live like half an hour away from the nearest fire department.
We considered this when we first got a safe deposit box. But when I went to research the one to buy, Consumer Reports did not have a lot of nice things to say. Evidently having a house burn down can generate some really intense heat. The boxes that actually kept things intact at those levels were really expensive.

That was a long while ago. They might be better now.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 02:06 PM   #37
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
We considered [insulated safes] when we first got a safe deposit box. But when I went to research the one to buy, Consumer Reports did not have a lot of nice things to say. Evidently having a house burn down can generate some really intense heat. The boxes that actually kept things intact at those levels were really expensive.

That was a long while ago. They might be better now.
Nah, they are still pretty much the same.

That's where the fire department's response time comes in. If you live close to the fire department, you just need to keep those documents safe until the fire is put out.

If you live out in the countryside, the bank is the obvious choice.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:34 PM   #38
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

There's a Snake on my Desk!

This morning when my sister came over to take my kids to school, since I am temporarily unable to drive (see "I almost went to jail today!"), a neighborhood kid came up and showed us a Diet Pepsi bottle with a tiny snake in it. A Copperhead, to be exact. I talked him out of it, explaining that Mr. Jane worked at a reptile store for many years and is licensed to own and breed venomous reptiles. Besides, he'd be in sixteen kinds of trouble for taking it to school. He reluctantly gave it up and told me that the Neighborhood Crazy Guy caught it crawling along a sidewalk late last night and gave it to him this morning.
It's really tiny, about eight to ten inches long, and slightly bigger around than a pencil. I haven't taken it out of the bottle yet, but I poked a few air holes in it. I don't mind snakes at all, but I'm not messing with a venomous beastie without supervision. My kids made a practice trip to the babysitter's today after school, so when the old man gets here we'll go pick them up and toss the little guy out somewhere in the country. He's really cute, and I wish I could keep him, but I guess I won't.
jane_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 02:39 PM   #39
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by warch
I need to get organized with my health records too. I have lost track of immunizations.
Doesn't mom have all that stuff???
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 02:43 PM   #40
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_says
when the old man gets here we'll go pick them up and toss the little guy out somewhere in the country. He's really cute, and I wish I could keep him, but I guess I won't.
Do you have any community nature centers? I bet the ones around here would be interested in having a snake like that to add to their collection. Then you could visit it and watch it grow.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:01 PM   #41
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

Well, the old man just got home and informed me that my snake is not a Copperhead, it is a baby black racer, which he says looks remarkably similar (no, of course I'm not defending myself after misidentifying the damn thing) to a baby Copperhead. It's entirely possible he's humoring me on that one though. I'd like to take it to a nature preserve, but as I mentioned before, the town is pretty much in gridlock due to the stupid race. He says it won't make a good pet, so I guess I'll either wait till next week and drop it off there, or take him to his new country home in a few minutes.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:36 PM   #42
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

The snake is gone; we took him to the country and let him free near a creek. And I screwed up again. It wasn't what I thought he said it was, it was a ring-sumpin-er-other watersnake. I remembered afterward, when he pointed out he said it [i]wasn't[/] a black racer. I'm dumb.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:11 PM   #43
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
Because it is far easier to enforce the law against honest people, that's why. We show up for court dates, bring our credit cards, and say "yes sir" and "no ma'am" instead of whipping out an Uzi and trying to take out half the DMV.
Uh...er...duh. So that's what I did wrong.
Old 08-28-2004, 06:58 PM   #44
Griff
still says videotape

Harleys confiscated by DMV

Satanic DMV

Healey and Bailey have had proper titles and registrations for years, but both motorcycles were confiscated immediately. The roadside inspectors determined that the bikes didn't have original Vehicle Identification Numbers.

Standing in the grass, Healey and Bailey were dumbfounded as a DMV enforcer handed each a slip of paper stating "Auto Impound Notice." They watched helplessly as officials wearing green windbreakers marked "Investigator" loaded Healey's 1971 Sportster and Bailey's 1977 FLH onto a flatbed truck.

If you have friends who built their bikes from baskets of parts, tell them NYS is not where they want to ride.

Last edited by Griff; 08-29-2004 at 07:02 AM. Reason: the incredible moving link
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 04:07 AM   #45
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Broken link, Griff.

Works now.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 08-29-2004 at 08:01 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote