The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-27-2004, 06:49 AM   #16
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
I am going to throw a wrench in this thread by relating a good cop experience I had a couple of years ago and a good DMV experience I had a few months ago.

It is the opinion of most people I know that VA state cops are schmucks, plain and simple. In all my experiences with VA state cops, I must have run into the very few who aren't (or maybe they were just having good days). Nearly 3 years ago, I moved into the DC metro area. Around here, whole sections of highway are dedicated to HOV use during peak rush hour times. I did not know this coming here. About a week after I moved, I came off an exit ramp from such a highway and encountered some police cars waiting at the bottom of the ramp, holding an HOV violator crackdown. I was pulled over because I was one person in the car coming off the HOV-2 restricted highway. Either the cop was in a good mood or my 'What did I do??' face was in top form that evening, but after checking my still out-of-town license and whatever else it is cops do when they go back to the car with it, he explained the HOV restrictions and times to me and let me go with a "Have a good evening." Wow, I certainly did, knowing I could have gotten a ticket that I wouldn't have been able to pay (to the tune of a couple of hundred dollars) but didn't. I'm sure if I had gotten a hard-ass cop, I wouldn't have had such a good evening.

And now for the DMV experience. I moved again back in late March from one area around DC to another. In VA, when you move, you have 30 days to change the address on your license. I went to the DMV to do just that, with only my old license. I brought a book AND my GBA with me because all of my other DMV experiences came with at least a 20 minute wait, usually more. There were a fair number of people there already. I went in, got my number and sat down to wait. I had just sat back and opened my book when my number was called. So I go up to the counter and meet what must have been the only really cool DMV teller in the world. While I filled out the paperwork and she did her thing on the computer, she told me a bit about the area I had moved to, told me a few shortcuts, told me where some really good chinese food was and was really jovial the whole time. So we're done with that stage and it was time for me to go wait for my license to be printed. I went to sit down and my butt hadn't even touched the seat when my name was called and my license was ready. Total time at the DMV from pulling into the lot to driving out: 10 minutes. Best DMV expereince EVER.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 06:57 AM   #17
hollyoake
The world has changed and i'm still in my underwear!

wow, you were very lucky on these occasions methinks!!
hollyoake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 07:19 AM   #18
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

There is a thread here somewhere about my HELL with DMV here in North Carolina. It took WEEEEEEEEKS to get my license.

Bastards.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 07:44 AM   #19
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

In my experience "almost going to jail" and "definitely going to jail" are two really different matters. As much a pain in the ass "almost" going is, it's nothing compared to REALLY going.

So I've been told.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 07:50 AM   #20
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I didn't mean "in my experience" per say...

Ok--I was at a Dead show at the Omni...a long time ago
Old 08-27-2004, 07:54 AM   #21
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

I used to work for a bail bondsman, and that's as familiar as I ever want to get with jail. I am far to delicate for things such as manual labor and imprisonment.
My sister came to take my kids to school today, which was really makes this a red-letter day as she is notoriously lazy (I may have mentioned that elsewhere). My second-grader forgot her homework and pitched a big fit claiming to be sick when my sister pulled up at the school. This made both thte kids late going in. I found her homework outside in the landscaping rocks a few minutes ago and called the school so they could let her teacher know.
In a moment, I have to turn off the computer and start calling places to determine how I can procure the documents I need with no frigging driver's license. Very soon, my nosy father will be calling to find out what I've accomplished, which won't be much since I will be on the phone with him most of the day. This afternoon my kids will be riding the bus home to the babysitter's for the first time, practicing for Monday when I start to work.
Calgon, take me away. Or something.
jane_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 08:07 AM   #22
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Hang in there, jane says. Honest to God, at least you're not really IN jail, which you pointed out, you are not made for anyway. I know it's a major pain, but at least you can stop and have a cuppa coffee and a danish whenever you want. Focus on the candy!
Old 08-27-2004, 08:20 AM   #23
jdbutler
If ya cant take a joke, Effya!

As my late father said to me, upon returning home and being arrested for flogging some expectorating hippies, "Congratulations, you're finally a United States Citizen".
Old 08-27-2004, 08:31 AM   #24
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

Well, thanks guys. I am beginning to see the lighter side of this mess, anyway...
I just talked to the courthouse, and they have allegedly already made me a copy of my marriage license, and I can pick it up today or Monday. Now all I have to do is find someone willing to drive through race traffic so I can get a birth certificate. Did I mention the Nascar race is in town this weekend? I always get kind of spastic on race weekends, what with ten times the normal population in town. Drives me freaking nuts. I feel like drinking heavily tonight.
jane_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 08:41 AM   #25
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_says
I feel like drinking heavily tonight.
Well, with NASCAR in town, everyone else will be.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:59 AM   #26
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
DC opened a new DMV office in Georgetown, in which the people are helpful and friendly, and the lines are short enough for everyone to sit down. It's surreal.
In Georgetown eh...not surprise by the good service then. Hopefully, that won't diminish over time.

I remember hearing the horror stories about the DMV, especially the office that was at Mondawmin Mall (Baltimore). It was the "ghettofabulous" office, with loads of attitude and bad manners. But, the day that I finally went to get my license, it was all good. I made sure I got there when they opened (maybe that was the factor), and it didn't take long at all once I got in. So I don't have any juicy DMV stories to tell, thank goodness.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 11:06 AM   #27
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbaccus
I get all kinds of nervous when I get in the car with my mother since her stickers expired. In July. Of last year.

On the upside, I've developed an honest-to-God, Spidey-sense like ability to avoid danger. I can now spot a cop car from up to a thousand yards away, and even sense their presence when they're not actually in sight. No lie. Me and some friends were in a car once. I'm in the back seat, staring at the road as it goes by, when suddenly my head goes up and the following ensues

Me: "Yo man, your stickers all right?"
Driver: "Huh? Yeah, why?"
Me: "Cop car's coming from the right."
Driver: "What? Where do you see--"
<CUE on driving were we highway the to perpendicular right, our off road onto street side a from turning cruiser>

And all were amazed.
You should be standard equipment in most cars!

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 11:23 AM   #28
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbaccus
On the upside, I've dEveloped an honest-to-God, Spidey-sense like ability to avoid danger. I can now spot a cop car from up to a thousand yards away, and even sense their presence when they're not actually in sight.
It's a gift. I know how it is. I started developing mine since my last speeding ticket. I confess I'm still a speeder, averaging 10-15 mph over the limit on the highway if traffic allows. But, that known, that last ticket I ever got was nearly 6 years ago. I know what I know.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 11:26 AM   #29
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Pennsylvania is set up such that you (at least I) only have limited interaction with the DMV. Every four years I have to go and get a new license picture taken, and that's about it, at least since the time I was 16 and had to go to the State Police Barracks for my learner's permit and then driver's license tests.

Because of my work schedule, I'm able to go for the picture at "off" times ... Early afternoon. I think the last time I was there the whole picture thing took about 15 minutes, including waiting for it to be printed.

The only downside is that I have to try to judge my place in line to avoid having the woman I've admitted several times be the one to process my license.

Everything else (motor vehicle registration, etc.) is handled by mail or online. I'm pretty anal about making sure that the paperwork is in order and ontime, so I've never had to pay extra for the FASTAG people to send stuff in for me.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 11:42 AM   #30
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Pennsylvania is set up such that you (at least I) only have limited interaction with the DMV. Every four years I have to go and get a new license picture taken, and that's about it, at least since the time I was 16 and had to go to the State Police Barracks for my learner's permit and then driver's license tests.
Funny you should mention that: I'm due to get another mug shot taken soon. I think it'll be the first one I've ever taken that will look unflattering. Yeah, yeah, they are supposed to look that way right? Not mine!! (the ones from the past were all that! I was so happy!).

I'm just very particular getting my picture taken...even for the DMV.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote