The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 09-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #16
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Thanks Bruce.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:08 AM   #17
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
And tell us about the TBI
Three years ago July, my son was in a single car accident. Drunk driving a "friend's" car late at night home from a party. The friend, his ride to the party, was tossed because of some BS with a girl... My son ended up driving. Can't get to into it as we are being sued by said friend. Please don't ask. The fucker should rot in hell for what he is doing. It's nothing but a money grab. All the involved atty's agree. One of the worst cases they've ever been involved in. Oops did I type that out?

Quote:
How do they use the laser, in treating the injury itself, or are they mitigating the effects from the injury? Is it used as a stimulus?
I don't know all the answers, heck I don't really know any of them. From my understanding the laser works on a cellular level. This is quite different than other conventional treatments. Somehow the laser stimulates the cells in ways that promote and create better/faster healing. It has been mostly used immediately following the injury to prevent swelling and limit damage to the brain.
Many people die not from the initial injury, but from the swelling of the brain within the limited space of the skull. As the brain size increases the pressure also does and the brain suffers decreased blood flow and a loss of oxygen. Natasha Richardson was was an example of one aspect of this. She still would have had to have a craniectomy, but the damage to the brain due to the swelling is the issue which laser could have potentially helped.

With my son we are pioneering this treatment for TBI's after the fact, if you will. We'll see

My son's accident was over three years ago. There has been sporadic improvement. With TBI's initially, things happen (or don't) fast an furious. There are improvements daily, weekly... but as time goes on the improvements get much smaller and much further apart. There has been very little change in him for many months.
Every single doctor basically told me/us we should be happy where we are. Think of those worse off. Think of how things could have been...
I got depressed about what my future looked like. Yeh, I said it. MY future. What a dick. Then one night that last one hit me. "Think of how things could have been!" Really? Is that what I wanted to be asking myself in 5, 10, 20 years? Did I want to look back and tell him I tried most stuff. Anyway, a little self kicking in the ass and A LOT of research led to us trying some things. Accupunture/accupressure, Craniosacral therapy, Chiropractic and LLLT. We are continuing with the latter two.
So far its been amazing. He's become a real PITA. Obstinate, argumentative, irrational, belligerent, emotional.. .. .. kinda like a teenager. WTF? THAT is a huge step forward. Memory, cognition, sarcasm, humor all things most people don't think about have gotten better. Even his teachers remarked that he had improved over the summer.

We are stepping it up and starting next week we are on a 2x a week and we'll see what happens. Docs are taking copious notes, as am I. No one else, that we know of, is really using it at this late stage of a TBI. We are a gain the guinea pigs, the pioneers. Hopefully we can help him and those that follow us. We'll see ...

Thanks all for the support. Means more than I'd like to admit.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:19 AM   #18
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

that's transcranial low level laser light, in the infrared spectrum, right? Making it warmer inside his brain?

check this out

he's not the only one to benefit from warmer brains.

Quote:
When the office temperature in a month-long study increased from 68 to 77 degrees Fahrenheit, typing errors fell by 44 percent and typing output jumped 150 percent. Hedge's study was exploring the link between changes in the physical environment and work performance.
and for the record, those links from xoB that talked about inducing TBIs in mice with

Quote:
STUDY DESIGN/MATERIALS AND METHODS:

We tested LLLT in a mouse model of closed-head TBI produced by a controlled weight drop onto the skull.
that makes me wince.

PKA!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #19
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Docs are taking copious notes, as am I. No one else, that we know of, is really using it at this late stage of a TBI. We are a gain the guinea pigs, the pioneers. Hopefully we can help him and those that follow us. We'll see ...

Thanks all for the support. Means more than I'd like to admit.
Someone's gotta be the guinea pig. Good on you for fighting for him. You're an awesome dad.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #20
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Classic, you're an awesome Dad.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #21
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

And Son is a sweet kid. we went bowling once. he was remarkable. and Classic IS an awesome dad.

Last edited by jimhelm; 09-28-2012 at 01:22 PM.
jimhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #22
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Good to see you're hanging in there, Classic. Hope the treatment is useful for your son. Sending you and your family positive vibes and strength.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #23
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

You're a great dad, Classic. It takes a lot to keep fighting, keep looking for solutions in a tough, long-term situation. So glad you're seeing improvement in your son. Sending warm thoughts and support your way.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #24
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Classic, it's great to read the good news about you and your family. I hope it continues to get better and better.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:33 AM   #25
classicman

Thanks all. Just doing what I should for my kid.

After multiple discussions about the treatment, the docs concluded that they know of no one else doing this so far after the initial injury. We are apparently THE FIRST case study of this kind. The plan going forward is that everyone ( docs, teachers & parent) are to take copious notes and they are to be compiled at months end. We'll see where this goes from here.
Today he had an MRI done to get a baseline. One additional piece of info that came out is that his pituitary is now normal. This is a major change from just a few months ago. The only two variables are time and the LLLT. We are weaning him off ALL MEDS starting today. Best B-Day present ever!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:04 AM   #26
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

His or yours? I'm guessing yours ... if so, Happy Happy Birthday! (If not, belated Happy Birthday. :P)

This is awesome. Your case study will end up in a journal, but more importantly, your son will end up benefitting (benefits are already accruing). Pituitary returning to normal is remarkable. Congrats! Keep us updated on how things are going!
Old 11-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #27
classicman

Thanks all...

OK ... Been over a month. Damn time is flyin'.

Son has not taken ANY meds since last Thursday. He is officially off of EVERYTHING!
ZERO adverse reactions. None whatsoever. Un-fucking-believably awesome. Another "it'll never happen" according to the docs. Fuggem.
Had an MRI discussion and visit with his neurologist.
He still shows damage, but there is nothing new and nothing seems to have spread. Lotta technical jargon, but according to the Neurologist "things are much better than I expected."
The previous opinions were from the endocrinologist - whom we won't be seeing any longer. Yay!

The LLLT treatments have been continued 2x a week and everyone... let me be clear EVERY ONE has seen a difference in him.
He is far more obstinate, memory vastly improved and he's initiating conversations on his own far more than ever before.
He argues with me all the time about chores now. He leaves the house an walks around the neighborhood saying hello to people. He'll talk to them about his cat for as long as they'll allow. He also has a suddenly renewed interest in girls - HA!
For instance, "Scoop the litter boxes" Would always be followed with an "OK" or he's just do it.
Now its "I did them last time, Its your turn to do them." The cognitive difference between the two is huge.
His balance is a little better also, which is weird.

We also went to the dentist. He's got a few cavities and they're getting filled. Aside from that.

Last thing I'll share ... if your still reading...

We've been speaking for a number of groups/organizations for some time now. Well one young man who was at a DUI class goes to college near us. His name is "Tom"& he's the TKE Fraternity President. He emailed me and asked if we'd speak at his "Gatorade Pong Tournament" (What???) Yeh part of his community service project. Sure, I say, We're in.
We showed up thinking there would be like 2-3 dozen people there. As it turns out, the football team got wind of the event and somebody knew somebody who heard of my son.... anyway there were 195 people there.
Unbelievable! The event was awesome and they raised a ton of money for MADD. Dan was dancing with all these girls and they flocked around him... lol
Anyway, he gets some girls number and they wee texting back and forth for a few weeks when she asks him if he'd like to go bowling. She gets with me to set it all up. We drive up to the bowling alley and there were like 20 kids there from the school, including "Tom" the TKE President. He and some other guys pull my son aside and explain that they want to Honorarily induct him into the Frat.
The secret ceremony is this Sunday. Son is hugely excited. Dad is proud. Life goes on.

Be well.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #28
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

What wonderful news, Classic! I'm so happy for you!

Sent by thought transference
Old 11-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #29
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Holy moly!

What a great report! So wonderful, I'm just overjoyed for you and Dan.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #30
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Very nice to hear things are going well for a change. You deserve it. Way to go!
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote