The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 08-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #121
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I watched episode 1 of the old tv series "Movin On" (on Hulu, btw) with Claude Akins yesterday. Good stuff. Ep. 1 had one of my favorite bit-part actors, Michael Pollard.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:14 PM   #122
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

"Seeking a Friend for the End of the World."

Steve Carell, Keira Knightly, and like a dozen awesome B-list comedians. Freaking hiliarious, and a little touching at the end. Even if there was one gigantic plot hole I could not in good conscience overlook, it was still worth it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:57 PM   #123
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I caught up on Maron recently...really enjoyed it. I wasn't the biggest fan when I first heard him on Comedy Central Radio, but he's grown on me.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:32 PM   #124
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I like his WTF podcast. Great conversations with interesting people.

I just watched the first two episodes of Impastor. It's popped up on the current shows list on the front page of my favourite streaming site a few times now. I'd googled it and it looked mildly interesting, but it hadn't clicked with me until tonight who the lead actor is - Lex Luther off've Smallville. I loved that guy, he was awesome. So I figured I'd give it a go.

It's pretty damn cool. Very funny.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:52 AM   #125
DanaC

Yesterday I watched the first episode of Sense8. I was a bit dubious about it, when I read the premise when it was first being talked about, and when I saw the promos, though I was also intrigued. I've been through the Lost experience since then, so the presence of Naveen Andrews became more of a pull for me.

As pilots go it was pretty impressive. It was a little difficult to follow in places, but I didn't really mind that - it gave enough context to get a hook on the story and characters and keep me interested. Unlike a lot of pilots I found myself quite quickly invested in a number of the characters. and whilst some of the mood sequences were a little overlong, I thought they did a lot of really interesting stuff in terms of visual tone. I liked the way the narrative jumped between the main characters, and how they were visually and thematically linked - really got a sense that we were moving between them in an organic fashion that, presumably, mirrors the way these people are mentally linked.

Some nicely brave choices too. A scene in which two young women shag, with Freema Agyemon wearing a strap on? That ain't something you see every day. The fact that it didn't seem gratuitous or uncouth is interesting - it was treated like any other love scene on a show. We later find out (in a really nice and low key way) that Agyemon's girlfriend is a transwoman.

What I love about this couple is that whilst them being a lesbian and transwoman is obviously a part pf who they are - a big part, as they are activists and very into the Pride scene - it's not what the show is focused on. The show is focused on the relationship between them as two people in love. It isn't treated any differently to any other love-match you might see on tv. And both are recognisable, engaging and relatable characters in a relationship that feels real and organic.

I really like the cop too. Though his storyline included some of the clumsier attempts at social commentary (or maybe clumsy is the wrong word - I liked what they were saying, but there was a bit of a sense of being clubbed over the head with it). Couldn't figure out where I'd seen him before but knew I'd seen him in something I liked. Was thinking maybe BSG? I could see him in a uniform of some sort - gave up in defeat and googled him : Stargate Universe! I remember now.

And really, really liked the Indian girl. The scene where she goes to the temple to make offerings was so well played.

So - yeah - I wasn't really expecting anything all that great with this show - but the pilot really impressed me.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:55 PM   #126
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
It isn't treated any differently to any other love-match you might see on tv. And both are recognisable, engaging and relatable characters in a relationship that feels real and organic.
Not sure if you caught this in the credits, but the showrunners are the Wachowskis, one of whom is transgender.

We enjoyed the series, and are eagerly awaiting season 2, but I have to admit that the Freema Agyemon character quickly became our least favorite. It's not her fault, the writers give her lots of cutesy/dingbat lines. Nothing interesting happens with her, she just keeps tagging along in her girlfriend's story.

The German thief and the Mexican soap opera star got the best storylines in the season overall, IMHO.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:06 PM   #127
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I am bingewatching Person of Interest. I find Jim Caviezel very interesting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:39 AM   #128
DanaC

Ah man - that is the way to watch POI. Possibly my favourite current show.

@ Clod: yeah, I noticed that it was the Wachowskis. I'd forgotten about Lana W.

I'm enjoying the Mexican soap opera storyline. I'm also really liking the Korean kickboxing business woman.

The cop too I find engaging.

Freema's character took a back seat in the ep I just watched. She only appeared in a flashback to her saying she'll burn the hospital down.

The actor playing her girlfriend is awesome. She totally sells the creeping horror of being confined in that room - wondering if she really is losing her mind.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #129
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Started re-watching "NCIS" on Netflix.

I re-started with Season 1, episode 1.

Kinda fun looking back.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:14 PM   #130
DanaC

I never tried NCIS. Used to really like the CSI shows before they'd cycled through every possible crime story. I might give NCIS a go sometime.

On my streaming *cough* service this evening, I watched Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, from last night. Awesome episode. Really quite moving. Funny, but moving and a little anger inducing.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #131
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

That's usually the case for John Oliver.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:11 AM   #132
DanaC

Last night I watched the second episode of DC's Legends of Tomorrow. The first episode(first part of a two episode pilot), which I watched last week left me a bit cold. I was not overly eager to continue with it. But then I figured I should at least watch the full opening story to get a sense of the show.

Second part was more watchable. A couple of the characters became a lot more relatable. I still find it hard to care about most of them though. Hawkman and Hawkgirl - jesus they were annoying as hell in Arrow, and they're annoying as hell in this. Hawkman in particular is thoroughly unlikable. They have zero chemistry. They're supposed to be ancient lovers caught in a cycle of reincarnation, ever drawn back to each other, fated to find each other and then die each time, killed by the same man that killed them the first time,and who became immortal in the process. All three of these characters are complete wank. Which is unfortunate, given that the guy who kills them is the big bad of the whole show. But back to the total lack of chemistry between Mr and Ms Hawk.: zero, nada, not a single spark. And he is so wooden. I think he only has the one facial expression or tone of voice. A kind of one situation fits all approach to acting. Not sure if he thinks this is coming across as stoic.

Spoiler below:

I was cheering when he got killed.

I think it's pretty poor fayre, though I might watch one or two more to see how it looks when it finds its groove. I'd like it to get good, because I like Arthur Darvill. But I have my doubts.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:21 PM   #133
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

"Hell On Wheels", "Broadchurch", "Breaking Bad"

Old 02-09-2016, 10:00 PM   #134
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Better call Saul
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:20 PM   #135
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I noticed Netflix had that. I've seen the first few episodes. It's a little vanilla, but, it may build some momentum with more episodes.

I found it hilarious that Mike is/was a parking lot attendant.