The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 09-22-2019, 10:59 AM   #76
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's because it spends the whole video eating.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:59 PM   #77
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

I made it One minute and four seconds. That woman gives me the willys.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:31 PM   #78
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Makey:
Adam Savage's Tested - Random making and VR hardware reviews
Simone Giertz - Builds shitty robots
Primitive Technologies - Makes things starting with just his own two hands and some lovely wilderness.
Clickspring - Remaking the Antithykara mechanism, referenced before.

Mathy:
Numberphile/Numberphile 2 - Random mathy things
Vi Hart - Random mathy things
Standup Maths - Random mathy things
Singing Banana - Random mathy things

Other:
First we Feast - fun celebrity interviews while eating progressively hotter wings.
Accused Farms - Computer game-related content and commentary
OskarPuzzle - Makes puzzles
Cyriak - weird
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:36 AM   #79
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

My kids watch Cyriak sometimes. Just a straight-up acid trip.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:23 PM   #80
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I have recently become a little addicted to the youtuber, Blaire White. Given how well known she is this one might not be new to others :P

Her politics are to the right on a lot of stuff (she is a republican) but not so far to the right that I can't see her point, even if I disagree with it.

On other issues she expresses views I agree with - like her take on a lot of the current LGBT and 'SJW' activist scene. As a trans woman herself, on the right politically, she brings some interesting balance.

She's very entertaining and has opened my eyes to a bunch of stuff that hadn't really crossed my radar particularly around the trans rights movement and LGBT community and some of the more extreme nonsense coming out of the current radical feminist scene

I don't think this stuff has hit the UK with quite as much force as in the US but it is a growing issue nonetheless.

I'm not going to shit on 'the Left' because there is still a core that is traditional left, with people fighting against actual inequality and promoting genuine inclusivity. And, there was always a strand of the left that was bat shit crazy - and there was always a strand of well-meaning middle-class academics and students 'fighting for the oppressed' and signing up to marxist parties because they were intellectually supportive of the working classes, without any real affinity for working-class culture.

But the current generation of activists have a strand that makes the bat shit crazy of my youth look sane.

It isn't enough any more to recognise oppression or systemic inequality and work towards change - now we are inventing oppression, often eclipsing the real inequalities and issues, and movements, or responses to real problems get hijacked by this destructive wing of ... I say left but a lot of this isn't really 'left', it sits outside the left/right political dialectic, often running directly counter to what has been understood as left wing in the past and also counter to what has been understood as right wing.

From what I have read and watched, some of this may have been a conscious effort by disillusioned marxists to transpose the core dialectic from a class analysis that incorporates race and gender to a classless self-identity and intersectionality based analysis, effectively obliterating the main ideas that actually united the left at some level (and still does for the mainstream, non-Youtube and campus based left)

Anyways - I'm rambling.

Some of Blair's videos.

DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:30 PM   #81
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

A lot of traditionally liberal thinking is getting crowded out with this form of bullshit.

I think of my very liberal mom, ex-arts administrator for the state, who said to me as we watched the New Year's Day Mummers Parade: "The government ought to promote this, make it easier to see; it's actually a type of working class folk art, and it's really rare for something like that to develop and last."

All I could think was, oh, ma, it's so sad, things changed and you didn't notice it: this parade is just a tad too white. The city stopped helping pay for even the services for it in 2009... $1M out of our $4.5B budget, we can't afford it, they said...

So that's how fuck working class folk art became the official policy.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:41 PM   #82
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It's white, so what? It's also traditional, does everything have to change, to be updated to current racial/sexual balance? Should we add blacks wearing white face? Does everything have to pass the politically correct task force approval? If so we'll have no heritage left. Listen to your mother!
Old 11-09-2019, 08:42 AM   #83
Griff
still says videotape

I just started Part 3 of Homo Deus. Harari has a gift of telling you what you need to hear rather than what you want to hear. He can very dispassionately discuss the emotionally turbulent issues that plague our time.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:56 PM   #84
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I've watched a few of these now, and I am struck with genuine sympathy for many of these often life long republicans grappling with the need to get rid of Trump for the sake of the nation.

Its horrible when your party lurches off in a different direction. I really bad for your average, generational republican.

I remember as a kid watching stuff about American politics and elections, and while the two sides were very different, they both seemed to meet each other on a lot of shared assumptions and values - it was perfectly possible for democrat and republican to get along with each and work together.

Where are the statesmen and stateswomen now? Where are the reasoned and rational ?

DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:42 AM   #85
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The Ds and Rs get along fine if their owners let them off leash. But the owners saw they were playing too nice so they had to be kept on a short leash and snarling.
Divide and conquer, baby.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:19 AM   #86
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I've watched a few of these now, and I am struck with genuine sympathy for many of these often life long republicans grappling with the need to get rid of Trump for the sake of the nation.

Its horrible when your party lurches off in a different direction. I really bad for your average, generational republican.

I remember as a kid watching stuff about American politics and elections, and while the two sides were very different, they both seemed to meet each other on a lot of shared assumptions and values - it was perfectly possible for democrat and republican to get along with each and work together.

Where are the statesmen and stateswomen now? Where are the reasoned and rational ?

That man has a broken heart. I feel bad for him and our country.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:35 PM   #87
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Ladies and germs, the Japanese Ambassador...