The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 08-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
JBKlyde
Banned

What is "REAL" Christianity??

See what I believe is "Jesus is Poetic Justice" and Poetic Justice will Save America and Israel.
JBKlyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
glatt

Only America and Israel? What about everyone else? Like the Dutch? What have you got against them?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:37 PM   #3
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKlyde View Post
What is "REAL" Christianity??
The act of being a dude named Christian?

I'm sorry.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:01 AM   #4
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk

Having a personal relationship with Jesus the Christ, doing your best to follow the laws set in the Torah, and following Jesus' example by being forgiving, loving your neighbors as yourself; also not being a Judgmental prick.

It is the ignorance of ignorance that lead to the death of knowledge

The Virgin Mary does not weep for her son, for he is in paradise. She weeps for the world , for we are in suffering.
toranokaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:16 AM   #5
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

JB: why would Jesus, or indeed God for that matter, have any desire to save America over and above other nations?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

Love your neighbor as yourself. Anything more or less ruins the message.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
JB: why would Jesus, or indeed God for that matter, have any desire to save America over and above other nations?
'Cause we be the chosen people... at least us white, heterosexual, English speaking, gun owning, dog loving, FOX watching, patriots.

The rest and the furriners are just jealous.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #8
regular.joe
Старый сержант

Wow, for the word Christian to have such religious overtones, when Jesus did not teach a religion but a manner of living. It seems to me that many of my friends and aquaintences confuse being anti religious with being an athiest. But I digress.

A real Christian would be one who follows the dictates of Christ. Most (98%) of the American Christians I know don't do so well. For instance I had a talk yesterday with a pretty hard core Christian who thinks it would be ok to let someone starve on the street, since he is all about personal responsibility and he is not his brothers keeper.

For the record I am not a Christian.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I think I probably live a more christian life than many of the Christians I have met.

I don't recall the parts of his teachings that called on us to chastise and abandon the poor and sick, beat up homosexuals and hoard our wealth. Nor do I recall the part where we are supposed to value our own countrymen above all others.

Unfortunately amongst evangelical christians the 'prosperity gospel' seems to have real primacy.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #10
regular.joe
Старый сержант

Just for the record I think that the mannor of living described by Jesus is most excellent, unselfish, and very hard to practice. Like any other spiritual manner of living with heart. Because the prepondernce of people practice it poorly does not mean it lacks merit.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #11
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I've already raised my frustration at people who call themselves Christians but know nothing of the Gospels. Bruce picked me up on the fact I believed people should worship, and ideally within a structured environment. He was right, I've changed my opinion on that. You can be a devout Christian and never set foot in a church. Although formal worship does have the benefit of giving you a working knowledge of the Bible.

The majority of white and Afro/ Carribbean people in this country self-declare as Christian/ Church of England. Can they all name a single Bible story without prompting? Old or New Testament? Many can't. Do they know the events of Holy Week (aka The Passion) no they don't. Can they retell any of the parables? No they can't. How can you count yourself a follower of Christ without even knowing his teachings?

Of course knowledge is even poorer when it comes to the Old Testament, but at least if you are claiming to be Christian that is only the prequel and not necessarily canon. But not even being able to name the Ten Commandments. People get them mixed up with the "seven deadly sins", and they only remember those because of 7even.

I've met some people who seem to be truly holy. All of them sincere believers.
I've met many more who work at their faith and try hard to live within the teachings of Christ without actually giving strangers their shirt and coat every time they leave the house.

I just don't like the wishy-washy-pretendy-all dogs go to heaven-stuff.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

but but Benny is heaven bound right?
Old 08-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #13
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Of course sweetie.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #14
JBKlyde
Banned

you don't know a thing about real Christianity until you've "at-least" connected to the whole sweating blood theory...
JBKlyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #15
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKlyde View Post
you don't know a thing about real Christianity until you've "at-least" connected to the whole sweating blood theory...
Assume I don't. Tell me what I need to know JBK..