The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 05-01-2013, 03:59 AM   #31
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

As someone who has come out the other side of depression, I have to say that a lot of the stuff you've all said rings true, but honestly, i think it's a different journey for everyone. I guess that's why it's such an insidious disease. There are no rules, and definitely no boundaries. I look back now and wonder how I could ever have felt life was so worthless and pointless.

Luckily for me, my issues were situational. I have a lot more empathy now for people who deal with depressive illnesses than I did before. Previously I thought depression was just people being sad and making bad choices, and I suppose to a point, I think that is the case with some people, but mostly, I just think it's devastating and you can't understand it till you've lived it. Not really. You can have sympathy and you can try and be understanding, but you just can't comprehend how it feels.

I hope I never feel that way again.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #32
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hmmm
Quote:
Americans are over-diagnosed and over-treated for depression, according to a new study conducted at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. The study examines adults with clinician-identified depression and individuals who experienced major depressive episodes within a 12-month period. It found that when assessed for major depressive episodes using a structured interview, only 38.4 percent of adults with clinician-identified depression met the 12-month criteria for depression, despite the majority of participants being prescribed and using psychiatric medications. The results are featured in the April 2013 issue of Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #33
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-848934

Quote:
Living with constant depression is a hell that unless one has been there isn't conceivable to them. With every passing day your willpower is chipped away at slowly. You become exhausted physically, mentally and emotionally. You cease to have interest in anything that you once enjoyed. You don't return phone calls or emails. If you are one of the lucky ones, like myself, you are still able to get up and go to work every day, but you don't really engage in your work or your life anymore. You end up working and sleeping, occasionally getting sick since you seem more susceptible to illness. You don't live anymore, you exist. You unwillingly maintain a pulse in the shell of what used to be you. The emotional pain is overwhelming, so much so that you find it difficult to even cry, much less find some other way of expressing it. People that care about you will ask what it is specifically that's bothering you. You skim your thoughts and find no reason for it. If it had a reason - a source - you'd have something to fight. As you become more withdrawn your relationship with you spouse/significant other is strained, as well as your relationship with family members
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #34
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Attached Images

Old 05-02-2013, 06:02 AM   #35
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Well...that's not really accurate is it. Because suicide absolutely does end the chances of life getting worse.

What it should say is: Suicide ends the chances of life getting worse but eliminates the possiblility of life ever getting better.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #36
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

NYT: Suicide Rate Rises Sharply in U.S.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #37
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean's Edge View Post
Agreed - I know "Interventions" are a tried and true technique for dealing with alcoholics and addicts - and thus there must be some value in it - but it feels a lot like the shaming thing - and it makes me very uncomfortable.
Families love interventions as much as junkies and alcoholics hate them. I get a lot of those kinds of calls, and have cleaned up from the aftermath of far too many to think that they can be helpful in any particular way.

There might as well be a revolving door on the front of my office. I see a lot of the same people at least monthly, or more often.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #38
regular.joe
Старый сержант

I must be in a mood today. Intellectualize the whole god damn thing, everyone has a silly stupid opinion and some well thought out advice or some such. We contemplate suicide because of one thing and one thing only. It. is. hopeless. If you can't relate to the hopelessness through experience, and offer some hope through experience then all you really have is intellectual bull shit. It's well thought out and sounds nice, the fact is that the suicide rate has surpassed the rate of death by automobile accident in the US.

Keep up the nice sounding well thought out and well intentioned advice. The real question is just how do we offer the hopeless....hope.

The rule of threes applies here. A human can live for three minutes without air, three days with out water, three weeks without food, and three months without hope.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #39
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

WTF, Joe, isn't what we're doing, trying figure out how to approach, how to reason with, people who we think are suicidal. What should we do, walk away, knock 'em out, ask if we can have their x-box?
Old 05-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #40
regular.joe
Старый сержант

Please disregard. I came home late, tired, rode hard, and put up wet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #41
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No, not disregarded, because "late, tired, rode hard, and put up wet" is when people cut the bullshit and get to the point. I wish you'd expand on it, because it sounded like you might know shit I don't.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #42
Ocean's Edge
is a beach

one woman's journey in depression...
http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.ca...-part-two.html

Allie is back
Old 05-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #43
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Awesome news. I've missed her.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #44
Ocean's Edge
is a beach

me too
Old 05-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #45
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Bloody hell, that was excellent.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote