The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 05-10-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Chili Sauces

I'm a big fan of Sriracha sauce, preferring the ones that come in the plastic squeeze bottle.

But today I was listening to a food show on NPR and they mentioned Harissa sauce from Tunisia. I checked it out on Wikipedia and it seems to have the same thick pastiness of Sriracha but with a different mix of ingredients.

Has anyone tried both?

So what other variations are out there for thicker chili based sauces?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
Flint
Snowflake

Never heard of or tried Harissa --(interested in a review if anyone has). A good thicker sauce would be like an Adobo sauce, but that's chipotle. I had a thick, dark-red (almost brown) sauce (Habanero, I think?) that I used to put on all my sandwhiches, that Pooka says was 'Bufalo' (one f, not Buffalo) but I'm not sure that's what it was. A guy at work was telling me of a Mexican joint in Austin that makes pork tips in a dark-red sauce made of dried red chilis, ground into a paste and then strained. A 'massado' I think he called it.

I'm fixating on one thing here; there's a lot of good sauces, but the 'thick pastiness' you decribe is the winning characteristic.

Well, go with what you know!
Attached Images

expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:18 AM   #3
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I've only had harissa spices (same blend no doubt but not in a sauce.)
I recommend the flavour at least.

Can't even compare with Sriracha as I am completely unfamiliar with that.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
I had a thick, dark-red (almost brown) sauce (Habanero, I think?) that I used to put on all my sandwhiches, that Pooka says was 'Bufalo' (one f, not Buffalo) but I'm not sure that's what it was.
That would be Bufalo, probably the 'clasico' sauce in the cone shaped glass bottle. It is nice thicker sauce, and actually pretty mild. It's also dirt cheap and readily available in most Hispanic groceries. I checked the Wiki and it appears that they also make Tampico brand, which I have also tried. It's not Habanero, or you wouldn't have any taste buds left.

It's a good non-watery chili sauce.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 05-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
Flint
Snowflake

Pooka had a few comments on this, if she ever logs in. The Bufalo y'all are talking about is not the thing I am remembering, which was hotter than the dickens and I wish I could remember what it was called... Very dark, thick, and hot--you only needed a little.

Among other things, she also recommends a Brasilian pepper and hot sauce recipe which I willl not attempt to spell or describe. I will say that it is intended to be applied with a toothpick, but the flavor is so rich you can't help putting in more--until you are sweating.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Harrissa = yum with chicken or lamb. It's not that hot though, and like Sundae, I've only had it as a spice mix, not a sauce.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
regular.joe
Старый сержант

Take my word for it, Sriracha is not the hottest sauce available. It is indeed one of the best to add to just about anything. Plenty of kick, good flavor..great on burgers, eggs, chicken, really...anything. Once I get back home later this week I'll take a pick of some serious hot stuff that I only use in small doses in stuff like pot sticker dipping sauce. made by the same company I think, it has the chicken on it. Garlic Chile sauce.

I'm also a big fan of May Play sweet Chile sauce. Almost no kick, but very flavorful with a sweet and sour flavor. Keep it above the stove and it will always be easy to poor.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
Flint
Snowflake

My favorite use for Sriracha (where it adds the most to what you've got to work with) is on cold, refrigerated cheese pizza--the next day.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I tend to buy the sauce with the most ridiculous name or label design. I have not been disappointed by this method. I buy wine the same way.

Spontaneous Combustion is quite excellent. A little goes a long way. A lot will put you into orbit.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #10
Ocean's Edge
is a beach

I keep a variety of hot sauces around .... I have a nice homemade sweet chili sauce (used pablanos and jalapenos for that one). I have a medium sweet chili sauce that was actually the result of a hot pepper jam failure, with both sweet peppers, pablanos and jalapenos. These tend to be our usual topping / dipping / straight up sauces - they've got a good bite, but I love the sweet with it.

Sriachi I keep for adding to things... I like it best mixed into a homemade mayo for a spicey mayo that is just great with everything - but especially fried foods - onion rings and french fries rawk with it. I also will add it to other dips and sauces.

Tobasco - this is my 'go to' hot sauce for cooking - large quantity stuff like spag sauce or chili gets a nice helping from this

Smokey chipolte sauce - similar consistency (and the same bottle) as my tobasco, but with a deep smokey flavour this tends to be my BBQ sauce add - and sometimes chili.

Those are my major players - got a half dozen or so minor players
Old 05-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

The talk of harissa yesterday prompted me to make moroccan meatballs with flavoured rice last night.

It was yummy.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #12
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean's Edge View Post
Sriachi I keep for adding to things... I like it best mixed into a homemade mayo for a spicey mayo that is just great with everything - but especially fried foods - onion rings and french fries rawk with it. I also will add it to other dips and sauces.
I am going to try this, but with store bought mayo. I might throw in some sweet relish for a sweet and spicy mix.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #13
Ocean's Edge
is a beach

the sweet definitely works - I've done this with sweet chili sauce as well and it definitely works
Old 05-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #14
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

We have a shaker jar full of what ever kinds of hot peppers Carol grows , some dried tobasco jalapeno pablones. Etc,,,,,, it kind of evolves as the years go by , I do know you dont want to drunkenly do 2-3 shakes in drunk ramen noodles , it will Ruin a good buzz , Yow !!!!!!!!!
Old 12-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #15
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

http://srirachamovie.com/post/618106...r-for-the-film

There's a documentary out there for sriracha. Not sure if it's worth it, but I'm tempted.