The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 07-15-2009, 12:24 PM   #16
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
Don't get saucy with me, Bernaisse.
Get out of line again and I'll cream ya'.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:33 AM   #17
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by case View Post
I am a woman and I love me some hollandaise. Of course, I also have to be careful how much of it I eat.
You've noticed how unabashedly the guys will scarf the meat and the cheese and potatoes, while the gals eat a lot of salad.

I've several ideas why this might be, though I'm not at all sure about any of them:

A) Both self- and peer-discipline to keep a youthful figure and attract the male eye because men are very visual creatures. Humans don't scent estrus, so that's out... we're all eyes to start with, and social/communicative cues added in later. I'm told women are less completely visual-oriented, so the fellas don't have the same pressure to stay slim, trim, and racy... as long as they have the capacity to be the things the women are looking for. But this is a whole 'nother thread right here. (And I keep adding clauses.) {Like that one.}
B) Long endurance in exertion and lower calorie output from just plain metabolism. Girls may have a lower power output than guys, but guys collapse sooner, needing some rest to revive. While the guys are going, they can go powerfully, but don't have quite the endurance. There's suggestion that female metabolism is more efficient, and that this is why women live longer. Anyway, less need to snap up a whole bunch of fuel right off.
C) Women enjoy folate-rich foodstuffs more than men. This would probably take a blindfolded taste test experiment to prove in any measurable way, but a little probing for anecdotal accounts to see if this might become a tenable hypothesis would be a start.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:56 AM   #18
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
You've noticed how unabashedly the guys will scarf the meat and the cheese and potatoes, while the gals SAY THEY eat a lot of salad...
Corrected for accuracy.

(ducks flying objects)
Old 07-18-2009, 01:32 AM   #19
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

[Gilliganwhacks Sheldon with a Greek fishermen's cap]
Old 08-01-2009, 10:02 PM   #20
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by case View Post
Who has successfully done it?
this is from an old school new orleans cook book i have. there will be many more posts from it. trust me.
handmade hollandaise
hollandaise made with a wire whish is no more difficult than blender hollandaise; you simply have to watch for different things. the saucepan must be kept warmwhile you beat the butter into the egg yolks. a lined copper saucepan is excellent, since it will retain the heat long enough after youremove it from the burner to allow you to finish the sauce. With other pans, keep the heat on low and move the pan off the heat for 60 seconds, then back on for 30 seconds several times as you beat in the butter. the melted butter should be warm but not hot, or it will cook the egg yolks.

--------------------------
3 large egg yolks 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
2 tbs cold water scant 1/8 tsp cayanne pepper
1/2 c. (1 stick) salt butter
--------------------------
put the egg yolks and water in a heavy 2 to 3 quart saucepan. in a separate small saucepan melt the butter over low heat. when all of it is melted, remove from the heat. Put the pan containing the egg yolks and water on another burner over very low heat and begin beating with a wire whisk. beat steadily for 2 to 3 minutes, until the yolks get thick and pale. pour in about 2 tablespoons of the warm butter, beating constantly. remove the pan from the heat and continue beating, adding the butter in small amounts as you beat. when you add the last bit of butter, put the pan back on very low heat. add the lemon juice and cayenne and beat a bit more, slowly, until the sauce is well blended. (it should look glossy and stand in little peaks when you pull out the whisk.) if necessary, set the pan in a basin or bowl of warm water until served. when you are ready to use the suace, beat it evenly with a wire whisk fro 30 seconds before spooning it out.

this book is awesome. like i said i'll be posting several recipes from it. i haven't been let down by a single recipe in it.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:07 PM   #21
busterb
NSABFD

Microwave Hollandaise Sauce
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup light cream (I use half and half)
3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
dash of cayenne pepper

Melt butter in a 4 cup glass container in microwave for 1 minute. Stir in remaining ingredients and cook 1 minute. Stir once while cooking. Stir briskly with wire whisk until light and fluffy. Don’t over cook or sauce will curdle

Kenmore's Microwave Hollandaise Sauce
1/4 C. butter or margarine
1/4 whipping cream or light cream
2 egg yolks, well beaten
1 T. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. salt

In a 4-cup glass measure, cook butter on HI (max. power) 1 minute, or until butter is melted (cover cup with waxed paper to avoid splatter). Add remaining ingredients, cream first to cool down the hot butter as not to cook the egg yolks. Beat with a whisk until smooth. Cook on 70 (7% or 'roast') for one minute, stirring every 15 seconds, until thickened. (This often takes a few more 15 second intervals...keeping an eye on the thickness). Whisk until light and smooth. You will know when it is done because it looks terrific and tastes delicious.

If sauce curdles, beat in 1 tsp. hot water and continue beating until mixture is smooth. Don't be anxious to do this because a little "whip with a whisk" could bring it to perfection.

To reheat hollandaise, heat on 20 (low) 15 to 30 seconds, stir, let stand 1 minute and repeat until hot.