The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 06-11-2007, 12:43 PM   #1
freshnesschronic
Professor

Girlfriend's Father

Can someone explain to me the whole phenomenom of girlfriend's fathers hating their boyfriend?

I've tried so hard to show that I'm a nice dude but it is futile right now.

I'm not a father, so I don't know. But why do I have this feeling that I will never like him, or my father-in-law (which he probably will become {ooh puppy dog love, cute I know right}).

I do my best to treat her right, I've bought her tons of stuff, yeah I'm trying to make myself look like the perfect boyfriend (which I'm not) but I don't think I'm that bad.

Father's inquiries requested.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:48 PM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

Am I mixing you up with another dwellar or are you a college guy with a high school girlfriend? If that is the case you're lucky if he's ruled out violence. Dads are big on drawing lines and that is one I'd draw and then build a wall on.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
monster
I hear them call the tide

You're trying too hard. Don't try, just be yourself. If you're a nice person, it will show. People respect people who are true to themselves, who are consistent in their beliefs and actions and who don't brownnose.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:04 PM   #4
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

I have to wonder if Clodfobble pretty much figured it out in your post about employment. And Griff's point is very salient.

You need to be able to see yourself as others see you. Right or wrong you need to know what you look/seem like in the eyes of others. Then, decide if you need to change or just tell certain folk to go to hell.

But lately, you seem dumbfounded at the way people are reacting to you and you need to get to the bottom of it. If there is anyone you can talk to - maybe a professor where you go to school or someone in authority you can trust for some "uncle" type advice then seek it. Soon. Ask them why you are not being well-received.

And while I agree with Griff, I think there are circumstances when a college-high school relationship might be ok. A more mature college kid with great grades and good character who seems like a gentleman would be better, I think, than a reckless, high-school kid with no future.

But you aren't winning the first impression battle and that's pretty much gotta be all you. Just trying to help. I could say the employer is an idiot and the dad is a moron but I don't think that's gonna help you in the long run.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

do dogs like you?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:21 PM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Wasn't he dating her before he was in college though? I thought they went to the same high school.

At any rate, it partly depends on the guy. My dad approved of some and not others, but my stepdad was opposed to everyone to a genuinely unhealthy (and obviously unrealistic) degree. Has she had other boyfriends before you?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:46 PM   #7
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

Dude, you are putting your penis in his little girl. If he's anything like my dad, he probably still sees her as just leaving on her first day of kindergarten, and you're messing with that mental image.

My fiance is a really good guy. He is polite, a good conversationalist, doesn't smoke and rarely drinks, has a Master's degree and a good job, loves and helps out his family, and treats me like a princess. And my dad took years to find anything positive to say about him. It was always something critical -- because he likes video games, or because he has an accent, or because he took too long to finish his degree (after serving in the military!). With my brother and his girlfriend, it's that he's not Jewish. With my best friend and his gf, it's that he's white. No matter what the situation, he will find a reason to disapprove, and over time he will get over it.

People's feelings do change, slowly, with time. Not always for the best, though -- my mom's parents loved my dad at first (mostly because he wasn't at all a hippie or a draft-dodger), and now he and my grandmother can barely have a polite conversation.
Hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:59 PM   #8
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Are you sure he doesn't like you for a start?

My teenage boyfriends were terrified of my Dad.
They were intelligent and confident young men who came into his living room - and to my shy Dad that was invading his sanctuary - and tried to make conversation. Dad would have been far more comfortable with a wave from the door, leaving him in peace.

Because he was a shade over 6 foot and muscular (he was still a marathon runner in those days and this was pre car-ownership so he cycled everywhere) and had an East End accent that made him sound like a gangster to Buckinghamshire ears, my poor boyfriends assumed he wanted to kill them, and tried as hard as they could to win him over.

He was also perceived as incredibly cool because he was into the current music scene, always had the latest console/ computer games and yet didn't want to talk to them (nothing says cool to a teenager like disinterest).

I was pretty much oblivious to the misunderstanding as I was usually finishing getting ready/ rowing with my Mum/ sneaking my sister's perfume when this was talking place. In fact it wasn't until an ex who became a lifelong friend mentioned it years later that some episodes and comments fell into place.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:02 PM   #9
freshnesschronic
Professor

We are both going to U of I next year, me in my second year and her as a freshman, first year.

Her mom doesn't seem to have a problem with me, at least that's what she said. It's just her dad who doesn't welcome me into her home. So I dunno, I feel like I should screw him and not even try to please him over the top since he never gave me a chance.
I'm not dumbfounded. I'm merely asking for advice and information, more along what Hime said. Many of you are older, parents, husbands, so I wanted to know experiences like that. That's all guys. And what, no one else has ever had employment problems? I'm the only one?

You guys don't know it all. But the guy is an asshole. Chinese, worshipping his son, distancing his wife and daughter. You know my girlfriend and her dad haven't had a real conversation in four years? Anybody read my thread in domestic violence....put two and two together....There's a lot more to my situation which I choose not to disclose. But everyone jumps on me and calls me the problem.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:06 PM   #10
monster
I hear them call the tide

btw, when you say "I've bought her tons of stuff" -that's going to look to a protective dad like you think she can be bought. Like a ho. Just saying.

ETA, although the extent of that effect may be cultural
Old 06-11-2007, 02:12 PM   #11
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quit being so defensive. I answered based on the info you provided.

It sounded like a repeat of the My GF got a job and I didn't because you asked essentially the same question. And I did qualify my answer by saying that some folk that don't like you might just need to go to hell.

If he's old-world Chinese then that in itself could be the problem.

So, does she look like ducky? I'm guessing better. But I'd need a pic to tell for sure....

Start taking Kung Fu. That'll impress him. Or just piss him off more. Tough to say.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:12 PM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

We only had the puzzle pieces you gave us. If her Dad is first generation Chinese and you're filipino-american you occupy different universes.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:14 PM   #13
freshnesschronic
Professor

Ok. Sorry, defensive shields coming down.
Just insight is all I ask.
And...She doesn't look like Ducky. I can't put up a pic of her, sorry. She wouldn't like that.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:22 PM   #14
Flint
Snowflake

We can't help you without the pic.

And I had some wicked-helpful shit on deck...oh well.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:49 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Maybe he's read your posts.