The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 04-10-2020, 07:02 PM   #496
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
So, do you really think this is overblown and not much more serious than seasonal flu?
Yes.

I think by April 30 this will be apparent.

I also think the doomsayers will claim it was mitigation that averted the Coronapocalypse. I think they'll know it wasn't, but they'll say it anyway. They'll have charts and clever dissections of the data and models to evidence their (face & career saving) claims. And their claims will get a huge amount of press. Equally reputable folks who dispute their claims with their own charts, clever dissections, and models will largely be ignored.

As usual: folks like me and you will be left to do our own research, reason through what we find, and draw our own conclusions.

As for here and now: As I reason through all this, ignorin' pressers and coverage and personalities and heart-string pullin' and scary predictions, lookin' just at numbers, I believe we're bein' hoodwinked.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:10 PM   #497
henry quirk

And, yes, Glatt, if we all die from Fu ManFlu, I'll muster up my deceased courage and

admit my error, my hubris, my wrongness.

But, if I'm right, will you?
Old 04-10-2020, 07:44 PM   #498
henry quirk

Death

https://www.indexmundi.com/clocks/indicator/deaths
Old 04-11-2020, 11:45 PM   #499
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

As near as I can tell any critter can carry the virus just as packages and surfaces can, but it doesn't bother some animals and others it does. No virus bothers Bats and they carry all sorts of them which makes me wonder if they pick them up from their insect diet?

Dogs, cattle, pigs, domestic cats, tigers, lions, and pangolins can get sick.
Maybe buffalo, goats, sheep, pigeons, and civets.
Pigs, chickens, and mice are like bats.
These lists are constantly changing as there are a lot of people investigating this right now.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:07 AM   #500
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

@ Henry - London has had to build an entire emergency hospital and New York is digging mass graves. I don't recall the last flu season where that had to happen.

My sister in law is a community nurse, in fact she runs the local nursing team. She's worked through many a bad flu season, but this is different. The intensity of the outbreak and the fact that cases are so crammed into a tight timescale, coupled with the global nature of it which makes sourcing necessary supplies more difficult, makes for a very, very different situation.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:52 PM   #501
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
… New York is digging mass graves. ...
Oh, they solved that problem: they're feeding them to the alligators in the sewers.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 01:13 PM   #502
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Genius
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 06:25 PM   #503
Luce
Weaponized Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
Yes.

I think by April 30 this will be apparent.

I also think the doomsayers will claim it was mitigation that averted the Coronapocalypse. I think they'll know it wasn't, but they'll say it anyway. They'll have charts and clever dissections of the data and models to evidence their (face & career saving) claims. And their claims will get a huge amount of press. Equally reputable folks who dispute their claims with their own charts, clever dissections, and models will largely be ignored.

As usual: folks like me and you will be left to do our own research, reason through what we find, and draw our own conclusions.

As for here and now: As I reason through all this, ignorin' pressers and coverage and personalities and heart-string pullin' and scary predictions, lookin' just at numbers, I believe we're bein' hoodwinked.
You seem to be making ideological statements rather than statements of fact or even informed opinion.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:32 PM   #504
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

quoting, no, paraphrasing hq:
Quote:
my mind's made up, you all are going to present some stuff, it's going to contradict the sources I anticipate will confirm what I've already concluded, you guys are so dumb.
What ever dude. It's like that old playground meta-fight, "Well, my dad can beat up your dad!" I'm not here to persuade you. You are cold iron. Exempt. For the record, you're wrong, but exempt from my influence. The virus is also exempt, so good luck with that.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:06 PM   #505
henry quirk

Dana,

I'll plow through numbers (just numbers) tomorrow. For now, I say only this: New York, New Orleans, etc. are in dire straits (cuz of pop density, pop composition, cosmopolitanism, resource management). Most of the world is not (at least no more than usual).

The numbers don't lie (they can only be accurate or inaccurate; this applies to current totals and subsets of those totals, no matter how arbitrarily defined those subsets are) ; local misery doesn't justify widespread lockdowns.

We've allowed *individual liberties to be constrained; allowed local, regional, state, national, world economies to be purposefully repressed, all to combat a nasty cold.

More tomorrow.

-----

Luce,

Lookin' only at numbers and drawin' my own conclusions is ideological, unfactual, and ill-informed?

Really?

We'll have to agree to disagree.

-----

V,

That ain't paraphrasin', that's flat-out lyin'. It's what I expect from He who only knows how to write, not from you.

You're right about one thing: I'm not here to persuade you..

Do your own research, reason through what you find, and draw your own conclusions.

*in the West where at least there's some lip-service paid to the idea; elsewhere, like China, where individual liberty is a pipe dream, folks are just eatin' the same old shit
Old 04-13-2020, 08:22 AM   #506
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
I'll plow through numbers (just numbers) tomorrow.
So far, you're posting covid numbers based on what happens when we socially restrict, and comparing them to flu numbers that happen when we don't. That is not very useful, and I suggest you don't do that.

The only numbers that actually matter are the R0 number and the death rate. R0 to tell us how communicative it is: the number of people that one infected person will also infect. Death rate to tell us how many people die when infected.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:45 AM   #507
henry quirk

So far, you're posting covid numbers based on what happens when we socially restrict, and comparing them to flu numbers that happen when we don't. That is not very useful, and I suggest you don't do that.

All I've done is post numbers and comparisons made by Johns Hopkins. If you believe the numbers are in error, or the comparisons faulty, take it up with them.

However, you suggest I don't post those numbers or comparisons. It's your house, so: okay, I won't.

Aside: we vaccinate for the flu extensively, and still folks die, in LARGE numbers. Sophisticated vaccination programs vs a haphazard, honor system of social distancing.

Yep, okay, if you say so.

Anyway: I'll just keep my thinkin' on all matters virus to myself.

Last edited by henry quirk; 04-13-2020 at 11:36 AM.
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 11:42 AM   #508
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
It's your house, so: okay, I won't.
That's not how this place works.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 11:55 AM   #509
henry quirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
That's not how this place works.
Then, I choose to no longer participate in virus conversation or debate.

There: all on me, nuthin' on you.

Last edited by henry quirk; 04-13-2020 at 12:10 PM.
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 12:06 PM   #510
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

#Flounce