The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-31-2007, 02:42 PM   #1
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Boston Bomb Scare

Someone gets some circuit boards, solders some LEDs to them, attaches a battery and magnets and puts them around Boston in a bit of creative prank/graffiti fun.

...and then everyone freaks out.

Quote:
A source close to the investigation told WBZ it was a "sophisticated electronic device" that somebody placed there for a reason. It was not an explosive device and police say it did not pose any danger to anyone.

The device, a large circuit board with wires and batteries, was found attached to a beam with magnets about 15-to-20 feet above a busway that runs below an elevated section of the highway.

A bomb squad officer removed it and authorities blasted it with a water cannon around 10 a.m. to render it useless. The highway and T station re-opened a short time later.
On CNN they're calling the placing of the light-up Adult Swim character Ignignokt a "potential terrorist dry run" and that the devices were "engineered to look like real bombs".

My, my, we're a twitchy and nervous lot these days.
Attached Images

Last edited by Kitsune; 01-31-2007 at 03:07 PM. Reason: corrected "Ignignokt"
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:50 PM   #2
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Boston, eh?

It seems a bit banal for an MIT hack, but I suppose a freshman's gotta start somewhere...
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:50 PM   #3
Flint
Snowflake

The Mooninite Quote Generator

Well for one thing, the moon has one third less gravity than your earth, I don't know if you can understand that, but our vertical leap is beyond all measurement. -Ignignokt

Alright, when I say your name, you say 'here.' And we will assume 'here' is short for 'here I am...rock you like a hurricane.' -Ignignokt

Here on the moon, our weekends are so advanced, they encompass the entire week. -Ignignokt

Bow your heads or I'll bow em for ya! -Err
Attached Images

expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:00 PM   #4
glatt

WTF? It's just an LED throwie on steroids.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:16 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
WTF? It's just an LED throwie on steroids.
That was my first thought.

[soapbox] Don't be so quick to condemn the mayor and all the city agencies that responded to this. They're doing their job. They're doing what we want them to do for a change.... protect the public. They have to respond to any unknown with maximum caution.
Just because they are within it's range and not watching on TV from a thousand miles away, dictates extreme caution.

How do you know the next terrorist bomb won't have blinky LED cartoon characters on it? Once the bomb is placed, that would be a way to attract the maximum curious people close.

So there's no reason to break their balls for doing their job the way they have scripted and rehearsed it. [/soapbox]

As you were and thank you for your attention.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:05 PM   #6
Kitsune
still eats dirt

The stupidity continues following an incident in which the city of Boston protected its citizens by detonating advertisements. A student that works for the advertising company has been arrested and charged with "placing a hoax device that results in panic".

Quote:
“It is outrageous, in a post 9/11 world, that a company would use this type of marketing scheme. I am prepared to take any and all legal action against Turner Broadcasting and its affiliates for any and all expenses incurred during the response to today’s incidents. Boston will look to coordinate our efforts going forward with Cambridge, Somerville and any other affected agencies.”
So the city of Boston, instead of admitting they mistook a harmless set of lights for a bomb and tied up traffic for hours after announcing to the public that possible bombs had been planted around the city, pulls the "9/11 terrorism card"? And they're trying to tell us the advertising employee caused the panic?

You don't need to plant an actual bomb to bring a city to a halt, scare the public, and cause economic damage. All you have to do is hang a motherboard from a telephone pole or duct tape a flashlight to a bridge girder. That's essentially what this boils down to, right? If the police see something and don't know what it is, the default conclusion is that it's a bomb set by terrorists. And even if the package is harmless, if you're the person that left it, your ass is going to pay for causing panic.

Note to self: don't ever accidentally leave lunch box in the park, again.

I never thought the law enforcement organizations that protect our communities would be reduced to these types of unrealistic, excessive reactions. This is fucking ridiculous.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:19 AM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
[Note to self: don't ever accidentally leave lunch box in the park, again.
Absolutely, ever wonder how many do turn out to be bombs? Quite a few in this area, a rash of pipe bombs, the last couple years.
Muslim terrorists aren't the only ones that build bombs. Oklahoma City?

If anyone would care to volunteer to check out suspicious packages, there's lots of openings, just contact the police.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:08 AM   #8
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
That was my first thought.

[soapbox] Don't be so quick to condemn the mayor and all the city agencies that responded to this. They're doing their job. They're doing what we want them to do for a change.... protect the public. They have to respond to any unknown with maximum caution.
Just because they are within it's range and not watching on TV from a thousand miles away, dictates extreme caution.

How do you know the next terrorist bomb won't have blinky LED cartoon characters on it? Once the bomb is placed, that would be a way to attract the maximum curious people close.

So there's no reason to break their balls for doing their job the way they have scripted and rehearsed it. [/soapbox]

As you were and thank you for your attention.
Dear xoB:

Once again, you display the wisdom and calmness for which you are known. You're right on target. The public agencies *are* expected to respond. We all agree on that. But I think I may not have made my point clear.

I don't condemn the public safety officials for responding to the physical threat. I **do** condemn those officials who made statements about prosecuting people for what happened here. That is not right. This is no act of terrorism, I don’t care how freaked out somebody got.

Somebody was suspicious, there was a call, there was a response and it turned out to be a big false alarm. I called 911 once and nobody had to go to the hospital after they came. I said I was sorry I overreacted, I was scared, I didn’t know what to do, so I called. The first responders, the fire truck full of firemen and the aid car full of emt/paramedics, said “No problem. You did what you were supposed to do.” And I didn’t get charged for the trip or the call, I didn’t get arrested and prosecuted for guessing wrong about the seriousness of the situation.

We’re well past the panic phase of this event. It’s not an emergency anymore. There’s no need to respond with force, to speed through town lights and sirens blazing. There is no crime here, so why is there all this talk of prosecution? THAT’S what I’m chapped about.

If it’s “the law”, then the law is w-r-o-n-g. If it’s a judgment call on the part of the prosecutor, then his judgment is wrong. It’s over, nothing to see here, move along people, as you were, etc, etc. Jail?! Why? Explain why this is an act of terrorism.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:12 AM   #9
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Isn't it time we changed the words to America the Beautiful?

"from every mountainside, let freedom - echo (asitrecedesintothedistance)."
Old 02-02-2007, 09:51 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
I don't condemn the public safety officials for responding to the physical threat. I **do** condemn those officials who made statements about prosecuting people for what happened here. That is not right. This is no act of terrorism, I don’t care how freaked out somebody got.
You're right, I was responding to the criticism of their response to reported suspicious objects. As a matter of fact, it wasn't until this morning that I heard the ridiculous face saving attempts by the powers that be.

A while back I posted about a guy at work that has been a volunteer power boat inspector for the power squadron for years. Suddenly he's part of Homeland Security with a diploma looking certificate to hang on the wall. I think it's part of the Federal plan to keep terrorism/paranoia in everyones face.

The Feds have also thrown a ton of money at the cities and states to develop contingency plans and rehearse repeatedly. I think Wolf has taken part in these rehearsals. The purpose is when the call comes, everybody knows what to do and does it fast. That's what happened in Boston, just like they rehearsed it. As far as shutting down major highways, one guy with a flat tire can do that, during rush hour.

As far as Muslim terrorists not putting LEDs on bombs. After 9-11, all the bombs set off around the world were by recruited natives rather than Middle Eastern wackos. Anybody that thinks there aren't passport carrying US citizens that would join this cause are naive. Crazy Americans are likely to do anything.... even put LEDs on bombs.

As much as their attempts to save face, I'm disturbed they felt they had to. They did what they were supposed to do, what they had trained to do and to be embarrassed they did that, is as ridiculous as their face saving nonsense. Of course being political, they're all trying to top each other by coming up with a bigger condemnation and end up making themselves look stupid.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:59 PM   #11
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Thank god it wasn't Mario blocks.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:24 PM   #12
Kitsune
still eats dirt

For what they look like up close, along with pictures of what they look like lit up, check here.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:27 PM   #13
Flint
Snowflake

It's a fuckin' Lite-Brite.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:30 PM   #14
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Pretty fancy lite-bright. The boards look professionally printed.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:05 PM   #15
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Hopping around the coverage of this, I gotta say- who do "the officials" think is menacing our country? A Batman villain? Do they seriously think that a bomb is going to be covered with blinky lights in the form of a cartoon character?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote