The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-01-2007, 09:00 AM   #451
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
With every Swiss gun is massive, repetitive training. Since number of guns has not increased in Switzerland, then violent crimes do not increase. Where number of guns increase, then violent crimes increase. Charts comparing gun ownership in America compared to a following increase in violent death demonstrates a problem that is also well proven throughout the world.

Yes, the other parts of the western world regard America as a most violent nation - because they look at the numbers. In America, if someone 'disses' you, then you have the right to a gun. That attitude is now becoming more prevalent. So prevalent that American school yard massacres get a response called "Yawn".

How did Britain stop schoolyard slaughters? Everyone now carries a gun? A solution advocated by those who deny basic facts and numbers.

Meanwhile, every home in Switzerland does not have a gun. In Switzerland, those who are mentally unstable cannot have a gun. In Switzerland, everyone is carefully vetted.
If we had a country the size of Rhode Island with a population not bigger than large American city, that might be significant.

Quote:
According to second admendment 'advocates' even the mentally unstable have a constitutional right to guns - even 155 mm howitizers.
That would be total bull crap.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:13 AM   #452
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

NRA Statement On Legislative Efforts On Capitol Hill

Friday, April 27, 2007

Recent reports in the Washington Post, Newsweek and other media outlets are fanning Internet rumors regarding the NRA’s position concerning legislation currently being discussed in Congress in the aftermath of the horrific crimes that occurred at Virginia Tech.

The NRA has a long history of supporting measures to prevent guns from being acquired by violent criminals and those who have been adjudicated by a court as mentally incompetent. And we wrote into law mandatory prison sentences for armed felons and other prohibited classes who violate state and federal gun laws.

We will continue to make certain that the National Instant Background Check System (NICS) is accurate, fair, and instant by seeking changes to permanently ensure that no fee is associated with the check, that system outages are minimized, and that our men and women in uniform who have served our country honorably are not unjustly denied their constitutional rights. As always, the NRA is committed to ensuring that any proposal does not infringe upon the rights of law-abiding gun owners.

It is impossible to predict right now what any final bill will look like; therefore, we will withhold judgment until we see a final product. However, the NRA will continue to work with Members of Congress throughout the process to ensure that any changes to the NICS benefit lawful gun purchasers while ensuring that those adjudicated by the courts as mentally incompetent are included in the system.

Including necessary records on prohibited persons into the NICS is a position we have long supported. However, history has shown that no law will stop a madman intent on doing evil.

The NRA believes that our schools are not adequately protected. Therefore, we believe a national conversation on school security is necessary, and we look forward to those discussions and finding meaningful solutions to keep America’s children safe.

For more information, visit http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactShe...=217&issue=018
Old 05-01-2007, 08:11 PM   #453
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
I was talking about placing restrictions on guns and maybe banning a few. You seem to be talking about placing restrictions on guns and maybe banning a few. I don't see where our disagreement is?
None existed. A reply does not intrinsically mean disagreement. My post simply added information (another perspective) to yours.

Same history applies to cars. As access to cars was restricted, then deaths due to cars decreased. Guns and cars. Both are dangerous weapons. Both require responsible behavior.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:58 PM   #454
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
None existed. A reply does not intrinsically mean disagreement. My post simply added information (another perspective) to yours.
Whoops, sorry about that.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:47 AM   #455
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Urbane Guerrilla forget to mention that part. He also got to mention that many gun advocates oppose 'mental stablity' rules are contrary to the their interpretation of the Second Amendment. According to second admendment 'advocates' even the mentally unstable have a constitutional right to guns - even 155 mm howitizers.
Again tw is caught in a barefaced lie. Claiming "second admendment 'advocates'" say the mentally ill should not be denied firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Cite.
Knowing tw's lying, I asked for a cite.
Quote:
Second Amendement: "... the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed." Quoted exactly as interpreted by the NRA. The right of the people, if or if not mentally ill, shall not be infringed. Arms - anything from hunting rifles to assault weapons to 155 mm howitzters - shall not be infringed.
Then tw quotes the NRA. tw's second lie can't go unchallenged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Nice try, now cite where the NRA says the mentally ill should not be denied.
Now the 'look a birdy' tactic starts, to cover his lies.
Quote:
Bruce, you are doing this more and more often. Are you alright?
I never said, "NRA says the mentally ill should not be denied." Let's look exactly at what I posted: Bruce - again you have jumped to conclusions rather than read what was posted.
In a classic tw move, he claims he never said that and accuses me of jumping to conclusions. Guess what, he didn't say that. He just tries to deceive everyone by posting lies that allude to backing up his lies. Lies to back up lies and more lies to deny the lies.
This is the modus operandi of all tw's posts..... lies, half truths, and fabricating allusions to create more lies.

tw, fuck you, you're not going to get away with it anymore.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:56 AM   #456
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

It does not surprise me that as warped a big-C Communist as tw is would be so friendly to the disempowering of the general population: this man is not visibly a democrat, nor is he that sort of democrat known as a republican.

He forgets something a famous commie once wrote: "Power grows from the barrel of a gun." Yes, I can from time to time quote Mao, to my own ends. Considering that in more normal times in China Mao would have been arrested as a bandit and beheaded, whereas my conduct is exceedingly unlikely to get me executed, I'd say my own ends are better than Mao's. It's so often like that for the anticommunists.

In a republic, the source of political power is the people, the electorate. That which reduces the power of the electorate should simply not be countenanced.

Yet, even in the face of all his perfidies, the NRA will patiently uphold tw's gun rights, and encourage him to actually enjoy the use of the rights and the guns.

Quote:
Charts comparing gun ownership in America compared to a following increase in violent death demonstrates a problem that is also well proven throughout the world.
Of course, if this kind of thing is what tw accepts as factual, no wonder his conclusions are raddled with error, and likewise with all the subsequent horrors that spring from them. The numbers of guns in America have climbed steadily, and crime of all sorts has been slumping -- violent death too -- in all the states of the Union that have liberalized concealed carry of weapons, and accidents with arms have fallen off also. NRA sources are the most convenient places to find the data, but sources outside the NRA exist also -- viz., John Lott and FBI statistics.

Nah, a convenient litmus test for who's the more democratically inclined is to examine their enthusiasm for private arms ownership. Like most convenient tests, it's not comprehensive, but in tw's case, it is most surely illuminating, to say nothing of, in Tolkien's words, "perfectly true and applicable."

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 05-05-2007 at 05:14 AM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote