The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-01-2007, 10:05 PM   #76
Cloud

Hey there--this is my first post and I'm posting mainly because I want to see my name in lights! or something.

This whole story made me laugh. Yes, there are serious implications here, which I'm disinclined to debate, but . . .

the best part?

"we'll only take questions about hair!"

frickin' hilarious!
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:45 PM   #77
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

New drinking game!

You have to do a shot of whiskey every time TW refers to the President as a "mental midget", blames all problems on "top management", invokes any Nazi reference or makes a post that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Misspellings count.
BrianR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:04 PM   #78
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

If tw's misspellings count, we'll all be too sozzled to see the screen.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:17 PM   #79
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
Hey, what happened to this guy? Why aren't the police looking for him? Where's a description of him? Where's the manhunt? Was it really a pipebomb? How come we're not hearing about this?
It was probably the thermos from someone's lunch-box.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:47 PM   #80
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

From here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTV
Given the massive effort, we wondered if — in light of the hundreds of false alarms called in every week around the country in the years since 9/11 — have we become too paranoid?

"I think it was the right reaction," said Ed Clark, former director of the Homeland Security Threats Office and Special Forces veteran. "We've accomplished the first phase of educating the American public in what they're required to do. We can't make the assumption that everything will be all right anymore." If nothing else, Clark said the response to the botched promo campaign was another opportunity for officials to get real-life, in-the-field experience.

Clark, who teaches a course on how to recognize suspicious devices, said he was encouraged that citizens called in the moon men. But even he admitted that it was not likely that a "transnational Islamic group would put a cartoon character flipping the bird" on an explosive device if they were serious about inflicting harm.

Russ Knocke, a spokesperson for the Department of Homeland Security, also praised authorities for their quick response and attempts to keep the public appraised of the situation. He said the stunt was just one of dozens of similar everyday incidents that are investigated and turn out to be false alarms. "Prior to the incidents in Boston, there were three or four [false alarms] around the Washington, D.C., area before noon," he said. "We need the public to be vigilant if they see something abnormal."

Then again, the devices sat around in Boston, the city's surrounding areas and nine other major cities for weeks without anyone calling in to report them. So does the Beantown bust really mean we're more or less vigilant? Have we even learned a lesson about what kinds of things are suspicious and what's probably a prank?
Not wanting to be out-securitized and over-responsified, the FEDERAL Gov't officials are saying how "right" the response has been. But what exactly went right? The cops picked up the phone when someone called? Ok, I'll buy that. They treated the unknown devices with an (over)abundance of caution? Ok, fine. But the rest of the Boston side of the story is off the rails, as far as I can see. Late reaction--weeks elapsed from the time they were placed to the time they were removed. Over reaction on the part of the prosecutors and the Governor. Puh-lease.

I've heard that the law they're being charged with, one felony charge of placing a hoax device and one charge of disorderly conduct, state Attorney General Martha . He had been hired to place the devices, she said. Here's an excerpt of the law. Love the phrase "infernal machine"!
Quote:
Chapter 266: Section 102A1/2. Possession, transportation, use or placement of hoax devices; penalty; law enforcement or public safety officer exemption

Section 102A1/2. (a) Whoever possesses, transports, uses or places or causes another to knowingly or unknowingly possess, transport, use or place any hoax device or hoax substance with the intent to cause anxiety, unrest, fear or personal discomfort to any person or group of persons shall be punished by imprisonment in a house of correction for not more than two and one-half years or by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than five years or by a fine of not more than $5,000, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

(b) For the purposes of this section, the term “hoax device” shall mean any device that would cause a person reasonably to believe that such device is an infernal machine. For the purposes of this section, the term “infernal machine” shall mean any device for endangering life or doing unusual damage to property, or both, by fire or explosion, whether or not contrived to ignite or explode automatically. For the purposes of this section, the words “hoax substance” shall mean any substance that would cause a person reasonably to believe that such substance is a harmful chemical or biological agent, a poison, a harmful radioactive substance or any other substance for causing serious bodily injury, endangering life or doing unusual damage to property, or both.
And as to the snotty-sounding "statement to the press" by the two men arrested for this action, we don't (or shouldn't jail people for their attitude. Heh. They even made a movie of their work.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:53 PM   #81
glatt

The judge didn't seem too impressed with the DA according to this article.

Quote:
Judge Paul K. Leary seemed skeptical of the state's case, telling Grossman that the law requires that people must intend to create a panic to be charged with placing hoax devices. This case, the judge said, seemed to involve two men who relatives say were paid to place unorthodox advertisements throughout the city.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:01 PM   #82
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Maybe if they had a cryptic messages people would not look so ridiculous for panicing. The fact that people over reacted in one area but not in others proves the beauty of a light bright giving the finger. How perfect was that!
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:19 PM   #83
rkzenrage

I say we pack-em' with C4 and make Tater-Bombs with a Jesus timer!
Eeeeevvvvilllllll!!!!!

Old 02-02-2007, 03:42 PM   #84
Kitsune
still eats dirt

A camera I rigged up sometime ago to take pictures automatically while suspended from balloons versus the infamous "1 Call Missed" IED.

Uh-oh...
Attached Images

Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:53 PM   #85
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
I

hehehe
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:51 PM   #86
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
I don't condemn the public safety officials for responding to the physical threat. I **do** condemn those officials who made statements about prosecuting people for what happened here. That is not right. This is no act of terrorism, I don’t care how freaked out somebody got.
You're right, I was responding to the criticism of their response to reported suspicious objects. As a matter of fact, it wasn't until this morning that I heard the ridiculous face saving attempts by the powers that be.

A while back I posted about a guy at work that has been a volunteer power boat inspector for the power squadron for years. Suddenly he's part of Homeland Security with a diploma looking certificate to hang on the wall. I think it's part of the Federal plan to keep terrorism/paranoia in everyones face.

The Feds have also thrown a ton of money at the cities and states to develop contingency plans and rehearse repeatedly. I think Wolf has taken part in these rehearsals. The purpose is when the call comes, everybody knows what to do and does it fast. That's what happened in Boston, just like they rehearsed it. As far as shutting down major highways, one guy with a flat tire can do that, during rush hour.

As far as Muslim terrorists not putting LEDs on bombs. After 9-11, all the bombs set off around the world were by recruited natives rather than Middle Eastern wackos. Anybody that thinks there aren't passport carrying US citizens that would join this cause are naive. Crazy Americans are likely to do anything.... even put LEDs on bombs.

As much as their attempts to save face, I'm disturbed they felt they had to. They did what they were supposed to do, what they had trained to do and to be embarrassed they did that, is as ridiculous as their face saving nonsense. Of course being political, they're all trying to top each other by coming up with a bigger condemnation and end up making themselves look stupid.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:57 AM   #87
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

When do we also discuss 1970s hairstyles?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:54 AM   #88
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Sad. Turner is going to knuckle-under and cough up the cash.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:27 AM   #89
rkzenrage

That is sad. Should come out of the idiots pay.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:40 PM   #90
deadbeater
Sir Post-A-Lot

Turner the company has no choice but to cough up the cost of the exercise of Boston federales handling the Moonite threat. As for the guerrilla advertisers, I think probation and fine is appropriate.

New Yorkers probably think Ignignokt was giving the One Finger Brooklyn Salute, as opposed to of the arm-and-bent-elbow one.

Last edited by deadbeater; 02-03-2007 at 08:47 PM.
deadbeater is offline   Reply With Quote