The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 01-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #31
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Ortho...I have your number. Maybe I will send you mine. Your night time is my daytime, so why don't you just ring me when your brain is going stupid on you?

I will PM it. Use it whenever you need.

xxx
Thank you, Ali. I appreciate it.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:49 PM   #32
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Ortho, Ali -SKYPE it.

Sent by thought transference
Old 01-27-2014, 03:19 PM   #33
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I dont have skype. I suppose i could get it though.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #34
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Ali, the basic package is free. With that you can video call anyone lose who has skype wherever they are.

Sent by thought transference
Old 01-28-2014, 08:47 AM   #35
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Ortho - I'm sorry I missed this thread. I share the same feelings of being broken and beyond repair. I have your back
Old 01-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #36
orthodoc

Thank you, Sarge. I hope you're not feeling quite that bad right now. If you are, let me know. I also have your back.

An interesting thing ... I delved into the medical literature on Arimidex and tamoxifen, looked up the numbers that don't show up on the generic list of adverse effects, and it appears that depression, mood swings, and emotional lability are quite common with both of these meds. It's about 10%; most of us wouldn't feel too comfortable consenting to a surgical procedure that had a 10% mortality rate, I imagine. Since being on these meds (tamoxifen for 7 months, Arimidex/anastrozole for 3), I've had some scary issues. Not for patients, as I've outlined here and in other threads, but alone at night. And an ongoing general depression.

The last instance was enough that I've decided to stop the Arimidex, take a 'holiday' of several weeks, and see what happens. Recently I've developed left foot pain so severe that every step hurts, as well. I know I don't have a metatarsal fracture but it hurts that much. So goodbye to Arimidex and I'll maybe try eating 14 g of soy protein daily. Some Chinese studies have shown that that level of soy intake confers as much benefit regarding recurrence as tamoxifen does.

If I can't walk, it's no sort of life. If I think about offing myself every third night, it's also no sort of life. So I'll give this a try.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:10 AM   #37
wolf
lobber of scimitars

My best friend is a (The, if you ask me) leading breast ca doc in eastern PA. I can ask her any questions you would like answers on. Her approach is more holistic than most.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:44 AM   #38
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

studies have shown that tequila makes your worries go away and sometimes your clothes, too.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:27 AM   #39
orthodoc

Tequila definitely makes your clothes go away, which is why I stick to Scotch.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:33 PM   #40
orthodoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
My best friend is a (The, if you ask me) leading breast ca doc in eastern PA. I can ask her any questions you would like answers on. Her approach is more holistic than most.
Thank you, wolf. I'll pm you.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:35 AM   #41
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
most of us wouldn't feel too comfortable consenting to a surgical procedure that had a 10% mortality rate, I imagine. .
Not if the short-term mortality rate without the procedure was 100%
Old 02-02-2014, 07:42 PM   #42
orthodoc

Thanks for the sarcasm, but it's misplaced. The short-term risk without the 'procedure' is about 20%, not anywhere near 100%. That can be altered by a number of lifestyle choices. Nevertheless, stats only give predictions for populations. Individuals are another matter.

If the 'procedure' means I can't walk or think straight, who else but the person experiencing these things is qualified to decide whether the side effects are worth it? I realize that others may have a different take on this. I haven't come to this decision lightly. For me, it's right.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:03 PM   #43
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

May I suggest that you tag this thread and any others in which you post thoughts pertinent to your decisions in this matter. If in the future, 1year, 5 years, 10 years from now you should ever have reason to second guess yourself, it may be helpful to review documentation of your state of mind at this time rather than trying to recall it from memory. Tagging would make it easy to get all the information in one place, at one time, and in chronological order for you and perhaps important others to review. A simple tag like “orthohx” would do. Memory aids can be wonderful things.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:59 PM   #44
orthodoc

Thank you, sexobon, that's an excellent idea. Once I figure out how to tag a thread, I'll do it. I agree; having access to the reasons I made certain decisions will be useful in future.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:07 PM   #45
monster
I hear them call the tide

Not sarcasm. Mathematics. And exaggeration to make the point/give a little perspective. 10% is not all that bad when facing life-saving surgery. You can't make a judgment or make a valid point if you only give the chance of mortality for one of the two options because it implies zero for the other option.

Tags
orthohx