The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-13-2005, 06:13 PM   #1
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Red pill or White pill...

I offer you the Red pill or the White pill.

If you elect to take the Red pill, you will be permitted to travel back in time and terminate one person of your choosing who, at present, is already deceased. After one hour, you will return to the present at the exact moment you left.

If you choose the White pill you will take the place of any person you wish for seven days. You will be that person for one week. After seven days, you will return to your own life which will have proceeded normally in your absence - no one will know that you left.

Here are the conditions for the Red pill:

You can choose any post-adolescent point in the person's life to execute them. Your safety will not be in jeopardy - only the person you are scheduled to terminate can see you but you will be granted omnipotence over them. You will be provided with the weapon(s) of your choice. You have one hour. You can elect not to carry out the execution but you will be sacrificed in their place by ceasing to exist at the end of the hour. You can choose to inflict injury on any scale. God agrees to absolve you of your action or inaction should that be a consideration. You must decide before taking the pill whether you will remember nothing never to recall or remember everything never to forget.

Here are the conditions for the White pill:

None. However, the person whose place you took will be responsible for whatever actions you took while you were them as though they themselves took the action. You do not have the option of forgetting. [added: when you return, the knowlege and memories of the person you became are added to your own]

So, what'll it be? Red, White or abstain? Tell us about your adventure.

[edited to add clarification to effects of the White pill]

Last edited by Beestie; 10-14-2005 at 03:06 AM.
Beestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:38 PM   #2
marichiko

The white pill is sooooo tempting, but I'd have to pick the red. I'd be better than any superhero because I'd get to save 6 million lives, plus! I'd go after Hitler, of course. A good kill - if murder can ever be considered good, Hitler's death would certainly qualify. I'd pick a German Luger, naturally, tie and gag the beast and inform him that he was going to die an obscure death and be thrown into a pauper's grave with no headstone. Then I'd wax eloquent about the contributions the Jewish people have made to the arts, sciences, medicine, and Western culture, in general. Since Hitler wouldn't have committed his atrocities, yet, I suppose karma-wise, it might not be ethical for me to torture him further. I'd dispatch him with a bullet to the head and choose to forget about the whole thing. WOW! I wonder what the world would look like when I came back?
Old 10-14-2005, 12:38 AM   #3
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Will somebody PLEASE take the white pill and take over for George Bush for just a week!!!! ANYBODY could do it better than he is doing
Old 10-14-2005, 12:52 AM   #4
marichiko

That was why the white pill was so tempting, Tonchi! It was a tough call, but I don't think Jr. has approached Hitler's death toll yet, although he seems to be working on it.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:43 AM   #5
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Oh dear. Am I the only person looking at this in terms of personal gain? From the answers it appears so. My first thoughts were going into my ex's life and have honest conversations with any of the women he is currently involved with. Then write myself (the me currently in my own body) a dirty great cheque to cover all the money he ended up denying he owed me.

But shrugging off the cloak of bitterness, I am still tempted to be someone else for sheer, selfish, personal pleasure. If there are any reports in the newspapers about Angelina Jolie staring at herself in the mirror all day and developing a taste for Winter Warmer pizzas and Stella Artois lager, then you'll know the white pill has arrived via mail order.

Out of interest, aren't you worried that if you take the red pill you might erase yourself of a loved one from existence in the present?
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 08:52 AM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Personal gain may be the way to go.

The problem with offing Hitler is that, no matter when you do it, you can't be assured that some other politician will take the same direction to take advantage of the public conditions at the time.

If one offed Stalin, who arguably killed more people than Hitler, you risk another lame Commie bastard taking his place and using the same approach. In fact you would expect it.

One might take the white and be Himmler or Goering or somebody, and plan for a meeting of the entire government to try to take it out. There doesn't seem to be any place in the rules against being Himmler and killing Hitler and taking the heat for it to be executed as well.

But, I was thinking, to really get the most change, you have to alter the system before it even gets to that point. One could try to do something even loftier, such as being Guttenberg's assistant as he works on the printing press, and just as he comes to the right realizations, explain moveable type to him.

The optimistic hope would be that additional exchange of knowledge leads the human race to understand itself more quickly. But then, it didn't really help the 20th Century. It may be that the human race needs to go through that step in order to find the horror in it and try to do away with it. Hard to say.

So in the end I would probably just be Bill Gates for a week. For a week I would speak about the importance of open protocols as a means to increasing trust in the company. On the last day I would set myself up with a long contract for a cushy consulting job and permanently link the Cellar to the front page of MSN.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 11:00 AM   #7
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Good points UT. History, as a convenience, tends to personify carnages as though the person it assigns it to was the source or cause of the events that set the stage for it. I think you make a good point with the Stalin example.

Would killing Hitler's mother save 6M lives or would 12M lives have been lost in the alternate path? Maybe if instead of killing Hitler, someone went back and killed the guy who ordered the assasination of the Austrian leader whose death led to WWI. Perhaps that would head off the events that created the power vacuum Hitler later filled.

If I could go back and take somebody out I think it would probably be the Pope who initiated the Inquisition or, at least, failed to prevented it. Or maybe the person who initiated the Crusades. Another person I thought about taking out is Cain. I think about how our DNA would be different if Cain's influence on subsequent DNA strands were replaced with Abel's.

As far as the White pill... thinking about that I get to keep all their knowlege and memory... Warren Buffet comes to mind. Thinking about living their life for a week - I wonder about a lot of people - someone who knows they will die in 7 days and one minute - just to feel what that's like and to know that I get to live the rest of my life knowing what I otherwise will likely learn too late.

Thinking about taking over that person's life makes me think about Osama bin Laden. I'd go on all the world's TV networks including Al Jazeera and tell everyone that I was wrong- that Allah came to me in a dream and told me to love the infidels, terminate all jihads, void all fatwas and to live in peace and forever renounce violence. Then, I'd disappear, secretly fly to Central America and covertly report to the CIA's most notorious "interrogation" facility. I would summon the head interrogator and tell him that the TV interview was a hoax designed to make America lower its defenses as part of a new jihad onslaught that would dwarf 9/11. I'd brag that I know the location of every Al Queda cell in the world and what their immediate plans are and -just as the 7-day window is expiring- smile and tell him that Allah will not permit me to share that information with infidels such as yourself.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:24 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Decisions, decisions, hmmm.
Be Jesus and leave iron clad proof?
Or be Howard Hughes and rewrite my will?
Maybe Abe Lincoln and skip the theater?
How about Bill Gates banker?

One pill makes you larger, and one pill makes you small,
And the ones that Mother gives you don't do anything at all.
Go ask Alice when she's ten feet tall.
And if you go chasing rabbits, and you know you're going to fall,
Tell 'em a hookah-smoking caterpillar has given you the call.
Call Alice when she was just small.
When the men on the chess board get up and tell you where to go,
And you've just had some kind of mushroom, and your mind is moving low,
Go ask Alice. I think she'll know.
When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead,
And the white knight is talking backward, and the red queen's off with her head,
Remember what the doormouse said: "Feed your head! Feed your head!"

Timothy Leary!!
Old 10-14-2005, 01:32 PM   #9
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl
Oh dear. Am I the only person looking at this in terms of personal gain? From the answers it appears so. My first thoughts were going into my ex's life and have honest conversations with any of the women he is currently involved with. Then write myself (the me currently in my own body) a dirty great cheque to cover all the money he ended up denying he owed me.
Say, your ex wasn't the ax murderer was he? Seemed like a nice guy at the time, great musician, and then one day he showed his vampire fangs and left with all your cash?

Oh yeah, on a purely personal, selfish level, I'd be him for a week and wreck some REAL damage and I too would have him come up with a nice chunk of cash to repay me (I wouldn't trust one of that dude's checks as far as I could bounce it!).
Old 10-14-2005, 01:52 PM   #10
mrnoodle
bent

Trying to change the world in an hour or a week is tempting, but not feasible. Even Jesus took 33 years. And I could use the white pill to become Hitler's head chef and poison him and all his cronies, which is much more murder-rific than anything the red pill can do for me. Nope, nothing you can do to any world leader, from Bush on back, would really make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things.

I'd become Jessica Alba, fly to my house, and have sex with me.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:28 PM   #11
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I'm surprised that none of you Bible thumpers haven't suggested going back as Adam and slapping the shit out of Eve before she bit the apple.

For strictly personal pleasure, I'd take the white pill and be Troy Aikman for a week beginning with the 1992 SuperBowl and ending at the Pro Bowl where he had to leave at half time because of a prior engagement. That was his all time high, IMO, and what a rush it would be to trounce the Bills 52-17.

Fucking around with the past is too uncertain. you might think that a major action would have a major effect, when in actuality it might just get glossed over. someone else may fill that role of destiny. while a minor action may have major impact. You might open a door in a hallway, interrupt someone's train of thought, and the combustion engine or the light bulb never gets invented.

If I was actually presented with this chance, i'd have to make it all about personal gain. I'd go back as my dad, and invest heavily in Microsoft stock as soon as it became available, and set up half ownership with my oldest son, to come under his (my)control at age 21. Then I would lay low, and try not to change anything else until the week was up. I might offer myself some advice (would I remember it as a 10 yr old when i got back to my body?) Maybe I'd write down some lottery numbers before I went back, and play them.

Last edited by lumberjim; 10-14-2005 at 06:14 PM. Reason: got my pill colors mixed up
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 05:56 PM   #12
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
I offer you the Red pill or the White pill.

If you elect to take the Red pill, you will be permitted to travel back in time and terminate one person of your choosing who, at present, is already deceased. After one hour, you will return to the present at the exact moment you left.

If you choose the White pill you will take the place of any person you wish for seven days. You will be that person for one week. After seven days, you will return to your own life which will have proceeded normally in your absence - no one will know that you left.

Here are the conditions for the Red pill:

You can choose any post-adolescent point in the person's life to execute them. Your safety will not be in jeopardy - only the person you are scheduled to terminate can see you but you will be granted omnipotence over them. You will be provided with the weapon(s) of your choice. You have one hour. You can elect not to carry out the execution but you will be sacrificed in their place by ceasing to exist at the end of the hour. You can choose to inflict injury on any scale. God agrees to absolve you of your action or inaction should that be a consideration. You must decide before taking the pill whether you will remember nothing never to recall or remember everything never to forget.

Here are the conditions for the White pill:

None. However, the person whose place you took will be responsible for whatever actions you took while you were them as though they themselves took the action. You do not have the option of forgetting. [added: when you return, the knowlege and memories of the person you became are added to your own]

So, what'll it be? Red, White or abstain? Tell us about your adventure.

[edited to add clarification to effects of the White pill]

I'd take the red pill, but I'd be tempted to take the white pill to be Brad Pitt for a week or so.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:10 PM   #13
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Actually scratch that. I would take the white pill and I would become George W. Bush. I would end the war in Iraq, admit to being a military deserter, a cocaine abuser, a draft dodger, etc. I would then tell everyone all the dirt on Cheney the others in the cabinet, tell everyone that my entire family is crooked, and dirty, and should never be trusted in office, and then I'd resign from office.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:13 PM   #14
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

all of that in one week?......do you think you could find time to get photographed having wild gay sex while you're at it?

maybe get him hooked on smack? tatoo him? die his hair blonde, and make a mohawk out of it.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 06:48 PM   #15
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I would take the white pill, be myself circa 1982, and make the right decisions about my future ie. dump the asshole pronto, get into a great University, start volunteering right away and get serious. I'd come back as myself and reap all the benefits!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote