The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-25-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

American Amish/British Gypsies

The similarities just hit me.

A friend told me how she's seen "my big fat gypsy wedding' on cable in a hotal and was fascinated/shocked.

That's kinda how I felt about the Amish when i first saw a documentary about them.

So I've been watching the gypsy wedding thing on youtube and I'm seeing so many similarities.

On the surface, they seem so very different, but really, they're quite similar. Both are cultures living within but apart from the modern world, with a huge emphasis on religion and morality and community spirit/extended family. The two cultures embrace the two extremes of dress sense and flamboyance, but apart from that, I see more similaries than differences....

Both shun education beyond the basics -especially for girls. Both are deeply religious. Both shun marriage with outsiders. Both are seen as stinky and weird by outsiders......
Old 07-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #2
Nirvana
Back in 10

I live near the Amish, weird maybe, stinky... not so much
Old 07-25-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
monster

my friend nurses them, she says yes stinky. maybe you just moreso

I'm currently amuse byt the gypsies dressing like sluts and being so chaste and the Amish dressing like nuns and then doing Rumspringa....
Old 07-25-2011, 11:44 PM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The Amish don't do as many tarot readings, and don't live in gaily painted wagons.

I saw an episode of Gypsy Wedding whatever ...

I thought it was very interesting that the prime place to pick up women was at the horse fair.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:24 AM   #5
JuancoRocks
Sir Post-A-Lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
I saw an episode of Gypsy Wedding whatever .......

I thought it was very interesting that the prime place to pick up women was at the horse fair.
Or if you're a redneck.......at funerals.......

Old 07-26-2011, 06:04 AM   #6
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I started a thread on irish gypsy weddings in the entertainment category but no one posted so I'll post here. ;D

The women - omg, the poor gypsy women. They are totally dominated by the men and the men don't seem to be the full shilling AND mullets are still the preferred hair style.

The Irish gypsy girls do indeed dress like working girls. I saw one cute girl in cut-offs, thigh high white leather boots and a captains hat talk about how gypsy girls cannot ask out the boys or swear in front of them.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:17 AM   #7
monster

oh sorry, bri, hardly ever here and rarely go there, my bad.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:20 AM   #8
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
oh sorry, bri, hardly ever here and rarely go there, my bad.
I just didn't want everyone to think I was hating on the gypsies!

there seems to be a lot of animosity towards them. They've a big camp in South Carolina and the neighbors aren't exactly thrilled. Seems they are blamed for a lot of home improvement scams, etc.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 07-26-2011, 07:26 AM   #9
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
Seems they are blamed for a lot of home improvement scams, etc.
Well, I saw a story about that years ago on one of those news magazine shows like 20/20, so it must be true.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:29 AM   #10
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

There is a family of Amish around here. Let me tell you, you've never seen better looking people. I'm serious. This guy takes the horse and buggy into town with his wife, and people can't help but stare. He is gorgeous and she is beautiful.

*looks around for amish costume*

To paraphrase Walt Whitman:

"I think I could turn and live with the Amish
They are so placid and self-contained;
I stand and look at them long and long..."
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:32 AM   #11
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

we have problems with "traveleres". They are usually Irish and operate like the sterotypical gypsy. Always involved in scams.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:24 AM   #12
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
They are usually Irish and operate like the sterotypical gypsy. Always involved in scams.
That's the impression I'm getting, too.

I wonder how they came about - dispossessed farmers?

—James Barrie

Old 07-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #13
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
I started a thread on irish gypsy weddings in the entertainment category but no one posted so I'll post here. ;D

The women - omg, the poor gypsy women. They are totally dominated by the men and the men don't seem to be the full shilling AND mullets are still the preferred hair style.

The Irish gypsy girls do indeed dress like working girls. I saw one cute girl in cut-offs, thigh high white leather boots and a captains hat talk about how gypsy girls cannot ask out the boys or swear in front of them.
You want to love them.
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2011, 05:25 PM   #14
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
we have problems with "traveleres". They are usually Irish and operate like the sterotypical gypsy. Always involved in scams.
These guys come through here every few years painting roofs. Of course anymore the whites are on the ground selling and they've got black kids doing the dangerous work. I wonder if they have historical ties to the travelers? Their ancestors could very well have been deported by the English.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:03 AM   #15
casimendocina
Professor

Not sure if things have changed in recent years, but in Argentina in the 90s, the gypsy women generally wore long flowing skirts in bright colours. I never saw their living conditions, but was generally warned against being in close proximity with them as they had a reputation for being thieves.