The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 09-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #31
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

The tooth fairy visited our house for the first time last night. We put her tooth in an envelope addressed to "The Tooth Fairy" then under her pillow. This morning, while I was in the shower, my daughter came barreling in so excited to show me her $5 bill. A few moments later she came back in and said "Hey mom, tonight can we put a note in the envelope telling the tooth fairy I really appreciated the money?" It was really nice to hear her say that on her own.

P.S. What do you DO with your kids old teeth? I hid it in the back of my jewelry box for now. . .I need to find the hair I saved from her first haircut, and I suppose I'll put it with that.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:59 PM   #32
Juniper
I know, right?

I've got each kid's teeth stashed in film canisters, in my dresser drawer. Easy to tell which kid's is which, because my son's got two that were pulled out by the roots. :p

They're old enough now to know better...so they've seen their "collections."
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:26 PM   #33
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
I've got each kid's teeth stashed in film canisters, in my dresser drawer. Easy to tell which kid's is which, because my son's got two that were pulled out by the roots. :p

They're old enough now to know better...so they've seen their "collections."
I don't have kids, but if I did I'd have their teeth on a chain that I would wear around my neck.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:12 PM   #34
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

$5 a tooth? Sheesh, inflation.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:01 PM   #35
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Yeah, inflation. Or spoiled kids, take your pick

(Around our house, the going rate is $1.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #36
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

In any case, I've decided Minifob's getting a discounted rate for the chipped teeth.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:17 PM   #37
glatt

I think we gave a dollar coin for the first tooth and a quarter for each subsequent one.

I hope I'm right because my son is about to start losing them and you know he knows what my daughter got.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:22 PM   #38
monster
I hear them call the tide

We have the meanest tooth fairy round here -she just leaves a quarter. but she polishes it up so it gleams, even when she's visiting us at zippyt's house (although she got lost on that one and was a tad late...
Old 09-22-2008, 08:16 PM   #39
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

By all means keep your kids' teeth.

You'll be able to use them later for magic spells and stuff, when they run away from home and you need to use clairvoyance to find them, and mind-control spells to draw them back.

But make sure you explain to the kids that the money is only for teeth that fall out naturally. Every now and then there is a story in the media about some young kid who figures that at $5 per tooth, he's got a new skateboard right there in his mouth, and all he needs is twenty minutes alone with some pliers...
Old 09-22-2008, 08:20 PM   #40
monster

...but it's double for dentist extractions (as long as they're not due to decay)

and nothing for adult teeth.

by the time they've worked out that losing teeth is a viable financial opportunity, they should be losing most of their milk teeth anyway
Old 09-22-2008, 08:27 PM   #41
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Yeah, you'd think so, and I'd have thought the pain would stop them, but I have seen a TV interview with a boy who had pulled out all four top incisors.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:34 PM   #42
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Our kids got $1 for front teeth and now they're getting $2 for molars and other teeth we consider to be particularly large...like eye teeth.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:41 PM   #43
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Yeah, you'd think so, and I'd have thought the pain would stop them, but I have seen a TV interview with a boy who had pulled out all four top incisors.
my kids won't pull them out. even when they're hanging by a thread. especially Thor, who swallowed his first one thi summer, and nearly his second too. Hebe has a molar being pushed out by the new one -it's attached at one side only and she will not pull the damn thing out. I'm sure it's a decay hazard -they're stacked up in her gob. still, she's off to the ortho in a couple of weeks, I'll have him persuade her to yank it out if it's still there.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:27 PM   #44
jinx
Come on, cat.

I had to make a rule that if the tooth "falls out" after bedtime, then the tooth fairy doesn't come till the next night. Prior to that my daughter would stay up all damn night working them out. She pulled out her front tooth and I swear it wasn't even loose.... no sign of the adult tooth for like 6 months... she's nuts....
Old 09-22-2008, 09:41 PM   #45
monster

Ours are pretty resigned to the tooth fairy being a slacker. I reckon that's a sign we're doing the right thing -real world preparation