The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-15-2015, 08:33 AM   #3151
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
In the 20th Century it would be "Looks like a negro did it"; now it's "Looks like a corporation did it."
These are in no way equivalent.

If you want a real comparison in attitudes, look at the attitude many on the right have towards unions. All bad, all the time.

Or the absolute mistrust of congress: all politicians are the same. All bad, all the time.

Lamplighter's attitude might call up a lot of things - but an equivalent to racism it is not.

I find it slightly baffling sometimes that a lot of people are so instantly hostile to one set of apparently self-serving, though unavoidably neccessary, powerful individuals and the system in which they operate - yet at the same time see any instant hostility to another set of apparently self-serving, though unavoidably necessary, powerful individuals and the system in which they operate as somehow heinous and anti-social.

Last edited by DanaC; 05-15-2015 at 08:40 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:54 AM   #3152
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
These are in no way equivalent.

If you want a real comparison in attitudes, look at the attitude many on the right have towards unions. All bad, all the time.
You've got the parallel wrong. A union is a union, and hating all things unions do is indeed a bias. But pointing to something that, say, a Little League baseball team did, and using it as evidence that unions are bad, that's what's equivalent to blaming everything bad on the negro/boogeyman.

UT's point is Reddit is not a "corporation" in any common understanding of the word. But they did something that Lamplighter didn't like, and now Lamp is using it to reinforce his belief that corporations are bad.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:30 AM   #3153
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It was clumsy. It's both those things; seeing whatever X does as "bad", and finding something "bad" and reaching to blame X for it. Both of those things happen in racism and in LL's version of anti-corporatism.

And, while Reddit is owned by a corporation, nothing in the events that have happened have anything to do with the "corporate persona".
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:26 PM   #3154
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Little league baseball team = union...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:50 PM   #3155
busterb
NSABFD

I see no one has posted about the two cops killed in MS. last week.
Perhaps in another thread there's a link to assholes walking on flag.
Also about the past subway employe who posted a bunch of crap on FB, then wanted to sue newspaper the printed her post. Then she called the cops about all the people hating her, do something.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:36 PM   #3156
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Instead of pissing in the wind, why don't you give us some links to theses stories I haven't heard of.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:32 PM   #3157
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
Which is worse ?
Update:

Principal criticized for making racial remark at graduation has been fired, NAACP says
Washington Post - Peter Holley and Sarah Larimer - May 14, 2015
Quote:
And now, Gordeuk has been fired by the Stone Mountain school
she founded, according to Atlanta NBC affiliate WXIA:

Heidi Anderson, chair of the board of directors at TNT Academy, wrote
in a letter sent to the Gwinnett County NAACP that the board voted
to dismiss school director Nancy Gordeuk.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:09 PM   #3158
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Oh, snap! She got kicked outta her own school.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:13 PM   #3159
infinite monkey

There are so many funny things in this story I don't even want to take the time to enumerate them. Collect all 4!

http://www.whio.com/news/news/crime-...hburger/nmJ3H/

I dream of the luxurious burger whose life I held in my hands, verily, and I became a crumption of a darkness of aptitude, having been solaced by the endearment of vertitude.

And then I found myself.

Whilst vaptiliating.

Amongst the conjured.

Cleverly contained and sufficiently absorbed into matter.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:34 PM   #3160
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Okay. Now it's my turn to be confused as fuck.

Read the story. Watched the video.

Just clueless as fuck regarding everything after: "nmj3h"

Old 05-19-2015, 06:44 PM   #3161
busterb
NSABFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Instead of pissing in the wind, why don't you give us some links to theses stories I haven't heard of.
Well I though maybe Google just might have or help some of ya. I haven't looked. Heard on radio. This's one link http://news.yahoo.com/subway-employe...QDBHNlYwNzcg--

Last edited by busterb; 05-19-2015 at 06:54 PM.
busterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:23 PM   #3162
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yes Google might have helped but why the fuck should I have to go chasing rumors and hearsay.

OK, "two cops killed in MS" ~ 5,320,000 results. Which one?
"assholes walking on flag" ~ 564,000 results. A little easier but not much.
"past subway employe who posted a bunch of crap on FB" ~ 782,000 results

If you just want to drop by and see what people are saying about stuff, don't get pissy if they're not talking about what you want to hear.
Tell us what you read, where you read it, and what you think about it, then I'm sure these fine folks would be glad to discuss it.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:39 AM   #3163
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Oh, snap! She got kicked outta her own school.
I think it's the right choice. I do not approve of the way she's leading kids. Her own son, while valiantly coming to the defense of his mother, is a pretty good example of what I don't want to see more of.

Quote:
On Saturday, Gordeuk’s son came to her defense on his Facebook page, posting his address and telling critics of his mother to come see him face to face.

“What was rude wad somone standing up during the ceremony and walking around with a tablet with somthing wrote on it that was rude now regaurdless my moma not racist one bit she’s done nothing but help kids so yall need to get stories straight,” he wrote, prompting numerous responses.

One hour later, Gordeuk followed up with a second post repeating the invitation, but this time including a racial epithet.
In his defense, he says his facebook account was hacked and that's the reason for his remarks.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:24 PM   #3164
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Hacked by a semi-literate hacker...

Old 05-20-2015, 03:58 PM   #3165
Lamplighter

If you already brew your own beer, soon all it may take is a slightly different
strain of yeast to brew your own morphine or other concierge opiates.
... so say some bioengineers in Berkeley and Montreal
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote