The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-06-2004, 12:27 AM   #16
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I went skydiving but didn't want to go tandum so I took a 6 hour class. It was one of the most fun and exciting things I've ever done, and ever since the moment I landed, I've wanted to do it again. I'd never bungi jump though. Too many things can go wrong. With sky diving, pretty much only one thing can go wrong.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:37 AM   #17
wolf
lobber of scimitars

It's the same one that can go wrong in bungy jumping, really ... hitting the ground at terminal velocity.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 01:06 PM   #18
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
It's the same one that can go wrong in bungy jumping, really ... hitting the ground at terminal velocity.
_Parachuting_ magazine has a list of a lot of stuff which <strike>can go</strike> has gone wrong recently -- parachute doesn't open, both parachutes open, lines get tangled, coming in too fast on the landing, getting hit by a plane (yes, really), etc. Bungy is a much more controlled situation, probably a lot safer objectively.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 01:26 PM   #19
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

With sky diving, really only one thing can go wrong that isn't a mistake on the part of the person jumping....Parachute doesn't work.

With Bungy jumping, you have the cord too short so you snap back and hit your head on a bridge, you can have the bungy too long and hit the ground, you can have the bungy break, etc.

With bungy jumping, there's no class, and people don't prepare their own cord so any mistakes with a cord being short, or long, etc. isn't the fault of user error.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:16 PM   #20
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

I applaud (and pray) for everyone that is brave enough to do this.

I have to agree with Beestie: *bwak bwak bwaaaaak* for me too.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 04:06 PM   #21
russotto
Professor

Radar, you're comparing the two activities at different levels of abstraction. Further, "cord too short" isn't a real problem; the cord isn't elastic enough to give you nearly enough energy to bounce back up and hit the bridge, even given plausible errors in adjusting cord length. For the particular jump I did, "cord too long" wasn't a possibility either, as the jump didn't end near enough the ground.

Anyway, the safety records of the two activities speak for themselves.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:56 AM   #22
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Jumping from high places, whether it might be a perfectly good airplane, or a platform with steroidally enhanced rubber bands attached to my ankles, is simply NOT an option.

I get the willies standing on a stepladder or chair to change a lightbulb.

I do not fear heights. I fear falling.

I have been to the top of the CN Tower and lived to tell the tale. Actually had one hell of a time out on the observation platform. Beautiful view at night. Once I had convinced myself that I wasn't going to plummet to my death, that is.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 10:17 AM   #23
russotto
Professor

[quote=wolf]
I do not fear heights. I fear falling.
[quote]

As the Bungy operators were pointing out to the next vic..err, customer (who was hesitating), you need that fear. It's the fear which gives you the kick; without it, it'd be pretty boring.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:50 AM   #24
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Actually I believe the safety record of skydiving is far better than that of bungy jumping.