The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-18-2007, 05:37 AM   #16
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

I don't like it--it's too soap opera-ish. And I do want it to end, because my fiance and many of our friends are hooked on it...and that's all they talk about. Cylon this, Starbuck that, I don't give a frick, blah, blah, blah.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:08 AM   #17
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Poetry sucks ass.

Cheesy, derivative pop music is completely acceptable if it's in another language.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:15 AM   #18
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Poetry sucks ass.

Cheesy, derivative pop music is completely acceptable if it's in another language.
Totally
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:17 AM   #19
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Do historical references count? Because in 2002 I had the "mother of disagreeable opinions".
George Jr is lying.
In this case no, because you had the unsporting advantage of being able to see his lips moving when you made that assessment.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:20 AM   #20
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Do historical references count? Because in 2002 I had the "mother of disagreeable opinions".
George Jr is lying.
In this case no, because A) you've already posted it in every single thread for the last five years, and B) the "stopped clock factor" means anyone can be right, given enough time to do it.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:05 AM   #21
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecuracao View Post
- Skinheads are responsible for many of the unsolved shootings in Philly.
That's silly. There are no white people in Philadelphia with guns. The shootings remain unsolved because of John Street's personal agenda to prove that all the ills of the city are caused by whites rather than the notion that Philadelphia shootings are almost exclusively black-on-black crimes, and have their roots in the drug trade.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:23 AM   #22
Phil
Hoodoo Guru

belief in any god is a delusion.

all drugs should be legalised.

steroid using athletes should have their own Olympics.

all the money spent on war, arms and nuclear weapons should be spent on health.

anyone who wishes to become a police officer should automatically be banned from becoming one.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:26 PM   #23
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Life begins at the moment of conception.

All the creation stories, even the strange ones involving cows and ice, giant's armpits, mud, and The Big Bang, are correct.

Global Climate Change is the result of stellar forces, and man has only minimal impact on climate.

Reverse racism is still racism. Affirmative action is legislated reverse racism.

Marriage is a religious contract between one man, one woman, and God (or other Godform). Anyone who attempts to define it otherwise is wrong. There should be a separate civil partnering contract.

Indentured servitude should be offered as an option to clear credit card debt. An employer could buy your debt contract and pay you a negotiated rate that includes payments on your debt. When the debt is cleared you may choose to remain with that employer at a non-indenture rate.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:56 PM   #24
AZjanny
Frodo failed. Bush has the Ring.

There is no such thing as "God" , and all the time/money poured into churches and religion is a waste.
AZjanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #25
Griff
still says videotape

It was warmer than present during the Medieval Climate Optimum which was generally considered a good time for humanity.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:34 PM   #26
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

DS9 was and remains the best Star Trek series.

Right wingers are wrong.

The vast majority of asylum seekers are genuine cases of need.

Immigrants are a positive addition to the country.

Prison is the wrong way to deal with most crimes and most criminals: punishment/retribution models are counter productive for society.

Marx and Engels made a lot of sense: not necessrily marxists though....Marx himself said in his lifetime, that he was 'no marxist'.

All health provision and education should be provided by the state and paid for through taxation.

Belief in God, creation and/or prophets is no different to belief in Santa, Fairies and the Easter Bunny: this particular opinion is only unpopular in some circles, such as my old workplace, where for the first time in my adult life i found myself outnumbered by Christians......it's also not a view I tend to espouse when I am working with the Church youth project:P

Last edited by DanaC; 03-18-2007 at 03:41 PM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:45 PM   #27
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

I agree with a lot of the other "unpopular" beliefs here, but this is a new one ...

EVERYONE can sing.

Oh, and following on from DanaC, there is no difference between Communism and Christianity - from each according to his ability to each according to his need. This is the perfect politico-economic system except that it doesn't account for human greed.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:31 PM   #28
rkzenrage

There is no such thing as reverse racism, racism is racism is racism.
Being racist against whites is the same as being racist against blacks.
Rastafarians are the same as Klansmen.

It is a travesty that women and blacks can have their own clubs, fraternities/sororities and gyms and no one says squat but as soon as whites or men (usually both) want them they are misogynists or racists and someone tries to ruin it/take it away from/for them. Bigots hold this opinion & they are no different than those with hoods.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:56 PM   #29
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
There is no such thing as reverse racism, racism is racism is racism.
Yes, yes, yes.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:58 PM   #30
King
Conquistador

Thanks for the good response guys. A few more from me:

- Most white people who claim to be "disgusted" and "outraged" about racism against non-whites (and I'm talking about "everyday" racism as opposed to murder here) are only saying what they think they should say. I don't doubt that most white people are against racism and think it's a bad thing, but by the same token I don't think many are being kept awake at night by it. Most would only be truly disgusted and outrged if it happened to a friend of theirs. (I probably haven't made this clear enough and it probably will be misunderstood. Sorry.)

- A good film, TV show, piece of writing or piece of music is better and has more artistic merit than 99% of traditional art such as paintings, sculptures etc.

- If Louis Saha could stay fit and improve his finishing, he would be the best striker in the world. As it is, he's simply above average, in terms of top teams.

Edited to add a couple more:

- Prams should not be allowed on buses. I know it would be inconvenient for people to get their kids around, but it's very inconvenient for others on the bus. Most of the time there just isn't the room.

- The NHS should be privatised. If you introduce a service as being funded wholly by taxation (i.e. free at the point of use), and it takes only two years before you have to introduce charges at the point of use, then it's not going to work. I can't remember a time when the NHS hasn't been underfunded, and I don't think I'll ever see such a time in the future.

Last edited by King; 03-18-2007 at 06:34 PM.
King is offline   Reply With Quote