The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 09-03-2004, 11:19 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

9/3/2004: Two-legged dog walks upright

Well here we have Faith, a dog born without front legs, who has taught herself to walk upright. I believe this is one of the signs of the apocalypse.

full story

The video of the dog walking is truly disturbing, the way it moves, but still, recommended.

http://www.localnews8.com/video/941067.html
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 12:50 PM   #2
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I have such amazingly mixed reactions to this. My first thought was that this is one of the most inspiring, dear things I have ever seen. The adaptability of this creature must give tremendous hope to people who are disabled. It is almost enough to make you cry.

The second thing I thought was, "You know, this kinda reminds me of Scooby Doo..."
Old 09-03-2004, 01:04 PM   #3
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I've been watching the SCTV DVDs, and while listening to that local news guy introduce the video, I kept expecting to hear the jingle "Gerry Todd!"
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 02:05 PM   #4
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

We used to have a cat that had three legs. In the litterbox, it would swing its stump in the air like it was actually burying its mess, every time.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 03:05 PM   #5
lhand
Dry Nurse

More info at http://www.geocities.com/jude_stringfellow/
lhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 04:33 PM   #6
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

I know I'm going straight to hell, I've come to grips with the fact. That being said, that is the strangest, funniest thing I have seen in a long, long time.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

---Friedrich Nietzsche
alphageek31337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 05:14 PM   #7
Griff
still says videotape

Throw a tie and jacket on her and maybe the DNC could run her as a yellow dog democrat.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:08 PM   #8
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

walks just like george carlin
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 07:49 PM   #9
Albamoss
alga

There was a three-legged dog checked in at a kennel I used to work at. It had adapted very well; I didn't notice the missing limb until its cage card told me about it.
Albamoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 10:07 PM   #10
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

walks just like george carlin

Actually, I was thinking it walked just like my stepson did when he was a little younger. He did that exact same half-skipping thing instead of walking with an even gait.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 11:43 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I was disappointed they didn’t show the dog getting up from a prone to walking position. I have a hunch those back legs won’t last too many years, as they weren’t designed for that kind of strain. What’s really cool is the people saying she’s just a regular dog that’s compensating for a physical handicap, but not altering her natural doggie behavior. I think most people with that handicap would alter their activities and attitude as well
Old 09-04-2004, 09:57 PM   #12
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

Wow. That's freakin' amazing. And it was slightly disturbing, for some reason. But shes otherwise a very cute dog, and seemed very lovable.
jane_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 05:05 PM   #13
Leah
Love my Heffalumps

I hope they have made her a little buggy device with wheels, so they can place it under the front of her body (legs) and then she can push herself around. Gives those hard working back legs a rest.
I also am in two minds, I feel so very sorry for her but on the otherhand, at least she had a chance at life and not just destroyed at birth.
Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 01:00 PM   #14
windhund
lost in space

Dogs are amazing about stuff like this - they are very adaptable and they don't spend much, if any, time feeling sorry for themselves.

When one of our greyhounds was diagnosed with bone cancer, the alternatives were to amputate the leg it showed up in or just let the disease run its course until the pain was too great. We decided to do the amputation and JC did marvelously well. He didn't spend a minute mourning the loss and was able to do everything he did before. People would watch him run and not even realize he was a tripod until we said something about it. We had him for three years after that and I think he was very happy.
windhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 02:03 PM   #15
mmmBoy
El Queso Grande

Our dog had a genetic disorder where her hip joints were wearing down the bone and the legs were popping in and out of joint. Both her rear hips had to be sawed off in three places and replaced with metal pins (called a TPO), then the place where the muscle from the hips joined the leg bone was sawed off and replaced a half-inch lower to act like a rubber band and pull the leg bone in tighter.

She was up and walking on all her legs not 6 hours after coming out from the anesthesia. Amazing, I would be in bed for months! We lived on the 4th floor, so we bought a little red wagon at Toys R Us and loaded it with pillows to cart her out to pee. All the neighbors knew us as the loons with the dog in a wagon.
mmmBoy is offline   Reply With Quote