The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-18-2007, 11:08 AM   #121
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kintups View Post
Put the blame where it belongs.
And that would be the rapists, themselves.

People can be raised in horrible circumstances, and never do horrible things. Yes, parents and community are be contributors to an individual's understanding of and relation to the world, but they are not the sole determinant.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:59 PM   #122
AgentApathy
I just look like I'm listening

Quote:
It seems fitting that the guilt be burdened by the parents of these criminals. Their death sentence be made manditory to be viewed in person by their parents. As well as full coverage by nationl Television. The ones who raised these children are certainly more to blame than the perpetrators.
Ummm, no.

I wasn't raised by the best parents. They made some mistakes, and at some point, I had to make the decision whether to be a victim of it (a fuckup) or to be an upstanding, respectable person. I chose option 2, much as those abominations could have. Instead, they chose to gangrape and torture two poor immigrants who came to this country seeking the American dream, only to get the worst nightmare experience that America could serve up, and to top it off, the remorseless little pricks who did it probably won't receive punishment to fit the crime because of their age in spite of their very rational, adult planning and perpetration of the crime.

Yes, the parents should shoulder some responsibility. But all of it? No. Not even the bulk of it.
AgentApathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:24 PM   #123
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Appalling crime. On whether they should be tried as juveniles: if they are juveniles, then they should be tried as juveniles, regardless of the nature of their crime. That they committed a horrific crime does not in any way change their age and likely level of mental/emotional development.
Agreed 100%. We try juveniles differently for a reason, and it's not because kids never do terrible things.
Hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:37 PM   #124
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hime View Post
Agreed 100%. We try juveniles differently for a reason, and it's not because kids never do terrible things.
Ok, so if one of these "kids" is 15, lets say, he is tried and convicted at a speedy trial - serves the maximum we can sentence a "kid" to and is out on his 18th birthday after serving less than 3 years. You think thats justice?? Right?? Fair??
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:46 PM   #125
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman065 View Post
You think thats justice?? Right?? Fair??
No, but you know what they say: You can't make an omelet without raping some eggs.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio

Last edited by Flint; 07-18-2007 at 09:56 PM.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:51 PM   #126
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Ok, so if one of these "kids" is 15, lets say, he is tried and convicted at a speedy trial - serves the maximum we can sentence a "kid" to and is out on his 18th birthday after serving less than 3 years. You think thats justice?? Right?? Fair??
Are we sure Florida law says 18 and out?
Old 07-18-2007, 03:52 PM   #127
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

Quote:
I don't know, because I'm not a child psychologist or criminal scientist. I doubt that you are, either. The people who decided that children should be tried separately from adults, were.

It seems likely to me that a 15-year-old could change a lot in three years separated from his friends, harmful family influences, and whatever drugs he was probably doing, with the help of therapy and treatment for any mental illnesses. People don't just come in "good" and "bad" flavors, they can be ill, confused, high, angry at the world, unable to understand right and wrong, etc. Many of these can be changed or treated. I'm not saying that the US criminal justice system as it stands is well-equipped to do that, but I think it should be.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:54 PM   #128
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
It seems fitting that the guilt be burdened by the parents of these criminals. Their death sentence be made manditory to be viewed in person by their parents. As well as full coverage by nationl Television. The ones who raised these children are certainly more to blame than the perpetrators.
Welcome to the Cellar, Kintups.
You don't sound like a Sputnik, they just went beep, beep, beep.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:05 PM   #129
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
It seems likely to me that a 15-year-old could change a lot in three years separated from his friends, harmful family influences, and whatever drugs he was probably doing, with the help of therapy and treatment for any mental illnesses. People don't just come in "good" and "bad" flavors, they can be ill, confused, high, angry at the world, unable to understand right and wrong, etc. Many of these can be changed or treated. I'm not saying that the US criminal justice system as it stands is well-equipped to do that, but I think it should be.

So can an adult.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:08 PM   #130
Flint
Snowflake

If I understand the difference correctly, I believe it is that the juvenile brain and nervous system is not fully developed, things such as impulse control mechanisms. Is that accurate or did I hear that on a televised crime drama? (Which is, incidentally, where criminals often get their stupid ideas.)
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:15 PM   #131
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
I agree with this almost 100% but the problem is that prisons and juevy do nothing to change a person but just reject them from society which usually makes the problem worse.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:19 PM   #132
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
I agree with this almost 100% but the problem is that prisons and juevy do nothing to change a person but just reject them from society which usually makes the problem worse.
Yeah, that is the problem. My husband used to work in a jail, so I have a particularly grim view of how incarceration works in the US. Unfortunately, to my mind a lot of the problems come from the ingrained idea that bad things should happen to bad people -- unfortunately, having bad things happen to you frequently makes you an even worse person.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:34 PM   #133
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Quote:
Yeah, that is the problem. My husband used to work in a jail, so I have a particularly grim view of how incarceration works in the US. Unfortunately, to my mind a lot of the problems come from the ingrained idea that bad things should happen to bad people -- unfortunately, having bad things happen to you frequently makes you an even worse person.
.................................what?!?
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:37 PM   #134
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But now that jails are being farmed out to the lowest bidder, things will be much better. [/sarcasm]
Old 07-18-2007, 04:46 PM   #135
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
.................................what?!?
A lot of people feel better with the idea that people they don't like are being punished with a very unpleasant life. However, a certain level of unpleasantness goes beyond "teaching a lesson" and can lead to increased personality problems.

Look at it this way: if a kid steals from the cookie jar and his parents make him sit in the corner, he might think "ok, I guess stealing from the cookie jar isn't worth it." If he does the same thing and his parents beat him black and blue, he's more likely to come away with some disturbed ideas about the world. The same is true, to a lesser extent, about adults -- a guy who goes to prison for selling a bit of pot is going to be "punished" in a way that is liable to turn him into a much more dangerous criminal.