The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-26-2009, 10:40 PM   #1
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Latest Terrorist attempt

Quote:
A man suspected of planning to blow up a Delta Air Lines flight in Detroit could face charges as soon as Saturday, according to an official familiar with the case.
There was nothing out of the ordinary until the flight was on final approach to Detroit, said Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Elizabeth Isham Cory.

That is when the pilot declared an emergency and landed without incident shortly thereafter, Cory said in an e-mail message. The plane landed at 11:51 a.m.

One U.S. intelligence official said the explosive device was a mix of powder and liquid. It failed when the passenger tried to detonate it.

The counterterror official said the passenger was being questioned this evening.

The passenger created a disturbance by lighting what was reported to be firecrackers -- or perhaps a "powdery substance" -- onboard the flight, injuring himself and several other passengers, according to Delta Airlines

FBI spokeswoman Sandra Berchtold confirmed today that agents are at Metro.

The man was apparently already on the government's no-fly list of suspected terrorists, ABC News said a senior intelligence official told them.

President Barack Obama was notified of the incident and discussed it with security officials, the White House said. It said he is monitoring the situation and receiving regular updates from his vacation spot in Hawaii.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:17 AM   #2
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

I hope He burned his stipid self UP !!!
Oh and the FuckSticks that let him on the plane and screened him(NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ) should get A STIFF sentance if not Life !
Old 12-27-2009, 04:28 AM   #3
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I originally heard he was British, but turns out he only studied here. Phew - we did seem to be breeding them lately. In fact we refused him a visa to come back into the country in May.

He's Nigerian born and get this - his Dad was a Govt Minister who went on to become head of the Bank of Nigeria. I think I have an email from him somewhere...

He boarded the plane in Amsterdam, so it's their security staff that will be getting the rocket. Perhaps America should send some soldiers over there to help them

Ah, just seen. According to the BBC
Quote:
US sources confirm a file was opened, but say the information did not warrant placing the accused on a "no-fly" list.
Back to you I'm afraid.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:19 AM   #4
chrisinhouston
Professor

I just posted over in the Cellar's Travel board about some of the new security measures:

http://www.cellar.org/showthread.php...801#post620801

Expect more changes and further restrictions as things progress.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #5
SamIam

I read a report that stated the would-be terrorist started his journey in Nigeria, so security at the Lagos airport also failed. Is there any security in Nigeria, anyway? The airports must be jammed with Nigerians attempting to leave with all their checks from the USA.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I don't understand why everyone else has to suffer. Make the terrorists suffer.

Only change I would make is to put a uniformed (and armed) air marshal on every flight. Already, I find the security to be overbearing to the point that I don't fly commercial unless it is really necessary. I'm driving to more places that I would have flown to and rented a car before the advent of airline security.

I'm tired of prescreening my luggage. I'm teed off that I can't bring a snack or drink on board with me. I'm sick of ditching my lighter. I don't like moving all metal items to checked baggage prior to the flight. Taking off my shoes is just silly. The delays are onerous. Why in the world should I wait in a two hour line just to get on a plane?

Punish the bad guys without making life miserable for everyone.

When you do this, the terrorists win!
Old 12-27-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

However, they were all over it when Ivana Trump had a hissy fit:

http://entertainment.msn.com/news/ar...9003&GT1=28103

Sure, profiling can include old rich tired gold-diggers, and foreigners who come bearing explosives. We're so afraid someone will cry that they've been profiled, that we're only looking for crazy white bitches now.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #8
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
NAPOLITANO: Right now, that is part of the criminal justice investigation that is ongoing, and I think it would be inappropriate to speculate as to whether or not he has such ties.

What we are focused on is making sure that the air environment remains safe, that people are confident when they travel.
And one thing I’d like to point out is that the system worked.
Everybody played an important role here. The passengers and crew of the flight took appropriate action.
Link

Yeh it worked real well. Please tell me she really isn't this stupid.

Quote:
CROWLEY: I’m sorry, but if he was not improperly screened or properly screened, and yet you want Americans to feel safe on the planes, and so if it was properly screened and he got on anyway with that, it doesn’t feel that safe.
NAPOLITANO: Well, you know, it should. This was one individual literally of thousands that fly and thousands of flights every year. And he was stopped before any damage could be done.
By fellow passengers, not anything that our system did.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:45 PM   #9
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Link

Yeh it worked real well. Please tell me she really isn't this stupid.

By fellow passengers, not anything that our system did.
She was our governor. Yes, she really is that fucking stupid.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:06 PM   #10
chrisinhouston
Professor

I hope I don't sound too idealistic but Roosevelt had a point when he said "all we have to fear is fear itself." The terrorists win whether they blow up a plane or just disrupt things which is what they are doing now. And their return on investment is pretty good when something like this happens, not much happens but they make the powerful very afraid, so in their eyes they have succeeded.

News reports say this guy had been in contact with a well known fanatical cleric in Yemen I think and possibly the same one that the nutjob in San Antonio at the army base was in contact with prior to shooting up thing there. Blowing up Yemen is a bit to simplistic but it seems like some kind of joint international pressure is needed.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #11
wolf
lobber of scimitars

As a child, I used to enjoy flying. That was a different time, of course, with meals on the flight, and real silverware, and being able to go into the cockpit to see all the cool stuff up there.

I flew to Florida this year, but only because all of my girlfriends were going, and one of them booked the tickets (and, apparently, there's no Magic Mickey Bus from the train station in Orlando).

In addition to the inconvenience of the security screening, and having to throw away a perfectly good lighter, you're packed in like cattle, and they don't feed you. At least there were plenty of overpriced concessions on the far side of security where you were able to buy snacks and beverages for the flight.

I want the TSA to profile the heck out of people ... by behavior as well as demographics.

I thought this fellow was actually stopped by a malfunctioning fuse?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:59 AM   #12
monster
I hear them call the tide

That was the flight Banana Lady was on a day or two earlier.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:03 PM   #13
Shawnee123

Quote:
I want the TSA to profile the heck out of people ... by behavior as well as demographics.
I agree. Sadly, it's come to that. When we're so afraid someone might get their feelings hurt, at the expense of a boatload, um, planeload of innocent people...well, eff that.

This is a far cry from my usual liberal opinions, but desperate times and all. I'll tell you what, when I'm running around Nigeria with explosives strapped to me I'll be unsurprised and less than indignant when they look a little more closely into my background.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:22 PM   #14
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I always think of that scene in Airport, where the customs guy is suspicious about D.O. Guerrero's behavior. That's the kind of profiling that should be happening.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:23 PM   #15
Shawnee123

Oh wow, another for my netflix queue! Thanks for the reminder.