The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 09-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #31
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Tennant's performance in that film was excellent.
Word.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #32
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Manchester United beat Sunderland and is ranked 9th. I don't see anyway we can catch Arsenal. Looks like we might end up middle of the pack. Of course, this affects our stock holdings
Old 10-09-2013, 06:52 AM   #33
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
Better than a Millwall thug... er supporter, i suppose.
Danny Baker supports Millwall.
And my Uncles Ted and Charlie went to more than a few games at Milwall, but we're talking back in the '50s for them. And they had some right tasty mates, both being printers, so they knew they were safe if anyone tried to wade in.
You can't help what side of the river you were born on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Did you see United yet? Its on netflix streaming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Tennant's performance in that film was excellent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Word.
Also written by Chris Chibnall. Not seen it but already has great credentials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
Manchester United beat Sunderland and is ranked 9th. I don't see anyway we can catch Arsenal. Looks like we might end up middle of the pack. Of course, this affects our stock holdings
That's the trouble with any Premier team. Up and down. Just hope David Moyes is allowed to prove his worth. Managerial longevity is a problem for pretty much every team (including England) apart from the Arse these days... I might not lke Arsenal, but Wenger was a little like Fergie, brought up his own team, had the time to make his mistakes, settled in.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:00 AM   #34
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Manchester United is 9th in the league. However, their stock is up 20 cents a share. I try to understand what the crowd chants, but I think it isn't in English. Stock returns have been minimal, but I'm still considering buying more shares
Old 12-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #35
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

They do speak English in Manchester, despite what your ears are telling you.

I would suggest that it was a natural censorship your ears were imposing, but having served in the Armed Forces I should think you've both heard and used language as salty as any heard on the terraces.

United are a gift to sports journalists in all strands of the media at present. Column inches to fill? Editorial to wraite? Airtime to pad out? Discuss Manchester United. Where ate they going wrong, are they going wrong, who should be dropped, who should be on the bench, why are they doing this and not that or that and not this etc etc etc.

Although this is briefly on hold as attention switches to Brazil 2015 and the fact we are in The Group of Death.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #36
Molasar
Part-time superhero (off shift right now, leave a message)

Location: Her Majesty's United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Mixed them up with the Toon?
... or perhaps Notts County? (fnarr-fnarr)
Old 04-09-2016, 01:12 PM   #37
Griff
still says videotape

What is this? I check the broadcast tv for a baseball game and find English Premier on NBC and Bundesliga on Fox. Where were you dudes in my childhood?
Old 04-09-2016, 03:36 PM   #38
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

In your childhood American broadcasting was protecting children from bad words, tits, and soccer.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:08 PM   #39
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Check out the greatest story never told, AFC Wimbledon.

Quote:
So, okay: In May of 2002, the English Football Association gave the owners of a club called Wimbledon F.C. permission to move 70 miles away, to a town called Milton Keynes. Despite fervent protests from Wimbledon fans, the FA decided that it was “not in the wider interests of football” to have a club based in Wimbledon.

This happens all the time in American sports — the Brooklyn Dodgers become the LA Dodgers, the Baltimore Colts became the Indianapolis Colts — but it doesn’t happen in England, where football teams are not franchises but rather community assets. For many Wimbledon fans, to lose their club was to lose their community. As one protest banner read, “A club is for life, not just for profit.”

Despite the defiant graffiti and protests, it appeared Wimbledon would be without a football club until a group of supporters decided they would just start a team. Of course, there were some initial challenges — for instance, none of them had any experience running a football club, and they also had no uniforms, no sponsors, no coaches, and no players