The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 02-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #91
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

she tried to mail me a fried egg. I think the postman eated it.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #92
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I bought an eight-pack of food containers from the Pound Shop.
Yes, everything in there costs a pound.
The remaining six have numerous uses.
(I bought eight - someone still has to report back)

Wrapped two slices of cake in foil to stay moist. Padded box with bubble wrap (pink, saved from a previous delivery to me) and taped it all up with panda tape.
A single sticker with the address on.
Minimum possible postage costs.

I had no idea it would arrive so soon, but internet comments on the cake suggested it improved with time, so despite cooking it on Sunday I was confident it would still be edible on arrival. Less than 24 hours later it wasn't just edible - it was eaten!
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #93
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Infi, any eggs I send you would be well squashed.
Still, if that's okay I'll go for it.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #94
infinite monkey

No, that's OK.

But you know what? I cannot successfully make hard-boiled eggs. Seriously.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #95
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

You asked for eggs, you get eggs.
Shush.

And WHA?! Hard boiled eggs are easy peasy Japanesey lemon squeezy!
Cold pan. Egg. Turn up heat. Leave. (Gordon Ramsey stylee)
Soft boiled eggs I'd have some sympa with.
Hard boiled is what you get when you screw up soft boiled.

I can see I have to come over to the States and take you in hand.
If you had a penis that would be a come-on. As it is, I'm just being patronising.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #96
infinite monkey

HAHAHAHAHAAAA!

I don't know, I made hard-boiled eggs and yes, they were hard boiled but the yolk was all dry and crumbly. Of course, they might have been in the cold spot under the fake freezer in my dorm room fridge. All I know is I couldn't eat them.

Sometimes my mom will make a couple extra eggs for me when she makes devilled eggs, because I love eggs but I hate devilz. Mayo is the devil. I think it's mayo. Whatever, I don't like many condiments.

And I'm very hungry now and am thinking of calling an order in to our new pizza place (that is an extension of a dayton pizza place so I know the pizza is good) because it's pretty much right on my way home.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #97
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Mr Limey got his share - it was deeeelishus!
Old 02-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #98
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Put eggs in pan, fill with water to 1 inch over the eggs. Boil. Cover pan, remove from heat. Wait 12 mintues (for large eggs, 9 minutes for medium, 15 minutes for extra large, I have no idea about jumbo, i never buy jumbo). Run cold water over them to stop the cooking process. Done. Hard boiled eggs.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #99
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
she tried to mail me a fried egg. I think the postman eated it.
Is sat here on my desk waiting for the next attempt......
Old 02-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #100
monster
I hear them call the tide

Next time I will not put the return address on it....
Old 02-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #101
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Didn't take photos, but might have a second chance tomorrow.

Made Wolf's Banana Bread yesterday.
Twice.
She was right - it is super quick and easy, with a long cooking time which gave me ample time to wash up and clean the work surfaces. Flour and me - we don't cohabit well.

I went upstairs with a cup of tea, sat on my bed reading with the Dizcat trying to climb onto my shoulders. Then all of a sudden it occurred to me - did I even put the raising agents in?! No idea where the thought came from, I was reading Paul Monette's touching AIDS memoir.

So I belt downstairs and the only things left on the counter top were the raising agents. Sure proof that they had simply not been touched during the cooking, cleaning and putting away process.

Out of the oven comes the tin. 27 minutes according to the timer and it does resemble suet pudding. Put it out to cool and then bin. Washed the tin. Started again. Thank goodness it was such an easy one-bowl cake, or I would have given up.

So. Second time around.
I had decided to make it in my tube pan (after looking up what that meant).
I thought it would be nicer for the staffroom, because people could have little chunks rather than slices. Finger food if you will.

I had to buy Ground Cloves. I can only imagine I will use them again in this recipe. Never had a need for them before.
When the lovely risen cake came out of the oven (50 minutes) I left it for 15 minutes before decanting. It came out beautifully. Of course turning a bread upside down misses the point of the lovely crust. I'll make a formal loaf next time.

I sliced off some of the bottom to even it out, and served said castoffs to Mum, Dad and Maureen.
I knew Mum wouldn't like it. Too heavily spiced for her. She'd already signalled her disapproval by asking "What is that you're supposed to be making?" when it was cooling. She had a scrap and said it was okay when eating it but she didn't like the aftertaste. Dad had one piece then said he was saving himself for his dinner (it's true, he has such a small appetite). Maureen liked it. I should say so - someone ate about 90% of the pieces. I doubt it was her personally. I think Mum might have got over the "aftertaste" as soon as I left the room

I also tried a bit of the cutoff. The spices overwhelmed the banana, which was good for me.
I will halve them when I next make it though.
I think we have a different perception of what Banana Bread is over here.

Took into work and as with last week, there were four shop-bought cakes on the table already - Mrs G's birthday was on Sunday. I wish I'd known. It would have been nice to buy her a card for a start!

So there was 3/4 of the BB left at 15.15.
Never mind, gives me a chance to take a photo for you tomorrow.
Although the teachers sometimes descend on the staffroom late afternoon...

Those who had some said it wasn't what they were expecting, but they liked the flavour. And that it was very moist. Two questioned me about that and I had to admit I didn't know - I simply described the stages. In general we use self-raising flour here, and solid fat not oil.

I have promised them a carrot cake next week.
Damn I wish I had a food processor. I've put this classic off because the idea of grating so much grims me out. Does it have to be grated? Can't I just liquidise it?
Old 02-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #102
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

The photo below shows how much was left this morning.
And one of the rival cakes in the background - unopened!

I was heartened that a little more was eaten last night. Which could only be by people who had eaten it earlier.

It looks a bit dry in the photo.
Second day after baking it still wasn't.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #103
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Looks lovely.

When I do the round versions, I serve it rumply side up. You can get away with that in breads.

I have a tendency to miss ingredients as I go along, so I've developed the habit of lining them up like little soldiers on the counter and putting them away after I've used them, so I don't put the salt in twice.

I sent classic the recipe last night, and also the recipe for chocolate banana bread, which doesn't use a lot of liquid ingredients, but is teh yummeh. And yes, I'll get it right off to you ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 02-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #104
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Chocolate Banana Bread

1 1/2 cups unsifted all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 3 small)
2 eggs, beaten
Confectioners' sugar (optional)

Combine flour, coca, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large mixing bowl.
Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Add mashed bananas and eggs.
Stir until just blended.

Pour into greased and floured 9 1/4" X 5 1/4" X 2 3/4" loaf pan. Bake at 350 F for 50 to 55 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
Cool 10 minutes, remove from pan.
Cool completely on wire rack.
Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, if desired.

Variation: Fruited chocolate banana bread; add 1 cup raisins or finely chopped dried apricots to batter.

The only thing I do differently from the official recipe, is add a full bag of chocolate chunks rather than using the suggestion of 1 cup from the fruited variation above.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #105
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I would blame my mistake on the fact that the kitchen was like Piccadilly Circus, despite the fact I'd officially "booked" it that afternoon. But that's the sort of game Mum plays. I screwed up, pure and simple.

I'll never make that exact mistake again at least!

It's been praised, Wolf.
Especially the texture.
I'll just half the spices to Anglicise it. And it's a shoo-on for the Fayre.
I think I will bake it in a round, just because that makes it strange and beautiful. I appreciate what you mean about rumply side up though.

I might even fill the round with mini eggs or somesuch.