The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 08-03-2016, 11:23 AM   #1
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Please indulge me...

for a minute.

I know I've said some of this before...but I lost my best friend (he didn't die he just decided, as he did years ago in our relationship, that I'm worthless and I am no longer worthy of his time. No matter what I've gone through for him...anyhoo, 30 years, now gone...see comment below about trust issues) and I really have no one to talk to. My family is like "but we're so proud of you and life's not easy and you're doing great but, basically, suck it up."

I'm so fucking sleep-deprived. 16 months of my crazy two job schedule. Last night I managed two hours sleep. I usually get a couple more but we were so slammed and I got home at 1:15 a.m. and I was so full of adrenaline and my hips and legs and feet hurt so bad. I couldn't sleep. But I got up and came in here today.

I can type this right now because the cow orker is at lunch. I am her slave, nothing more. I deserve an academy award for how great I am, when sometimes I want to scream "OMG you have it so good please stop complaining about EVERYTHING." Again, I'm sleep-deprived and struggling financially. I think she likes that about me. One more person who gets to be better than me in every way. So complain about stupid shit in a way that makes me realize how little I have, and how alone I am. And I'm depressed with no one to talk to about it. No health ins.

I want to apply for a job at the old college where I worked, the first one, as a library asst. I like the woman who is running it. I am only worried about references. I lose one because I can't really use my old boss from the college. And I lost touch with my friend from the other school, and I feel bad asking her because I feel like I'm using people when I ask for a reference...but my gawd I don't have TIME to do anything I should and I feel like a piece of shit.

I like this job, mostly. I like the attys. I don't so much care for the sec. I like my other job. I like the people.

I'm just tired right now and frustrated and I am begging for advice or even a pat on the head. I feel like I'm losing it and I know sleep deprivation is part of it, but the other part is feeling so alone. Which I bring a lot on myself there. I have two major issues with relationships: I have a really hard time trusting anyone, and I trust people way too much.

Thanks.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:35 AM   #2
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

I hope things get better soon. Getting sleep will help.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:36 AM   #3
fargon

We still love you infinite monkey.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:09 PM   #4
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargon View Post
We still love you infinite monkey.
QFT.

Illegitmi non carborundum.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:26 PM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

"I know you're hurting.... don't think that I don't know" were the lyrics that flashed into my head

"Hovering" Sky Cries Mary

Wake and waltz five in the morning
The streets are ice and steam before me
I think of you, and hope that you are well
Are you still hovering between heaven... and hell?

The way you look at the world, what do you see?
Stop weighing yourself, break the mirror and the TV
I know you're hurting, don't think that I don't know
I'm with you, don't worry, don't let your heart grow cold

Just breathe
Just breathe
Just breathe
And be with me
Don't let your heart grow cold

I take the red-eye, can't find you in the streets
Try keys in all the doors, find shoes for your feet
Can't be easy being you, I know it's hard being me
We're both so confused, why can't we all...

Just breathe
I know you're hurting, don't think I don't know
Just breathe
Just breathe
I know you're hurting, don't think I don't know
And be with me

Can't be easy being you
I know it's hard being me
We're both so damn confused
Why can't we all just breathe...

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:45 PM   #6
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Find some way to sleep. OTC meds might help
Set aside 1 hour a day for you. You deserve it.
Get your brains screwed out.

I truly hope things get better for you
Old 08-03-2016, 04:30 PM   #7
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

You know what would be really cool, is if the damned universe would just give you a fucking break. You don't deserve the shit stuff, and you deserve a whole lot more of the good stuff.

I feel for you hon. You're in a bind and it's going to take some maneuvering on your part to extricate yourself from it. Which, of course, is difficult if the situation is leaving you exhausted and mentally drained.

Not sure how useful advice from me might be (I'm not exactly renowned for being competent at life - competent at work, sure.....at life? Not so much) but for what it's worth:

It really depends on two things - are you thinking of applying for a job that has been posted as a vacancy, or making a speculative approach to the college. it also depends on whether losing contact with your friend means you no longer have contact details for her, or just that you haven't kept in touch with each other.

First, if it's a speculative approach, then in the middle of being sleep deprived is a bad time to try and sort anything out - that combination of shattered and wired is a great time for realising that something has to give, but it's a bad time to seek solutions. For few weeks focus on trying to get rested - if necessary you may need to take a couple of days off sick from work - even if that means you make your precarious finances worse this month. You cannot, physically continue to go without sleep without eventually crashing and burning.

Give yourself permission to not look for or investigate solutions to your overall situation until you've got some rest. Give yourself permission to not think about that at all - remind yourself of that when it all starts whirling round your head. Aim to reopen the issue 2-3 weeks from now. Ditto for anything else you're currently trying to get sorted out, or feel like you should be doing, but can't make yourself do.

When you come back to thinking about a longer term plan, start with something manageable - jot down a list of possible small actions that might be useful (such as identifying possible references, writing up a new cv, contacting former employer, first draft of general purpose letter of introduction that could be fired off to potential other employers you can think of etc). Doesn't have to be an exhaustive list and you may not do, or need to do everything on it. It's just a starting point. Try to break things down to component tasks. So, for instance, don't aim to write a letter, aim to do a first draft. Even if all you do is write the introduction. You can come back to it and add more. Gathering and collating the information you'll need for an updated resume / application form is a task in itself - putting that information into a resume is another, as is writing a personal statement. Keep to short, simple tasks.

Only attempt one or two of these things in a week - given your current work burden, it is probably wise to aim for no more than 1/2 hr - 1 hr on this stuff in any one week. If you're hit with a sudden coincidence of a bit more time and a bunch of energy and focus, then you can always run with that, but don't expect it of yourself and then feel like shit if the jobs you're doing just don't make that possible.

Slowly, slowly, catchy monkey, as they say ;p

Try not to beat yourself up if you find those tasks beyond you at times.

Don't feel bad about calling on someone for a reference, you're not using them. You're just asking for their assistance in a small matter. We are social animals in a social world - connections matter, even small ones and even fleeting ones. They are a normal part of the mechanisms of the world you're in. Don't tie one hand behind your back through misplaced guilt.

All that said: the above in terms of applying for jobs is only relevant if you're thinking of approaching the college yourself. If there is a current vacancy that you're thinking of applying to, and your main concern is references, then you may need to sharpen up the timescales for this one thing. If that's the case - yes, absolutely apply, regardless of your concerns over references. Put down the reference you think you can put down, no matter if you feel you're using her (you're not). If you have just fallen out of touch with, but still have contact details for your friend give her details for use as a reference and send her an email to ask her if that's ok. Your current employer surely would also be a possible reference?

Whatever you do, just remember we all love you. You are awesome - that's just a scientific fact.

Last edited by DanaC; 08-03-2016 at 04:48 PM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:59 PM   #8
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

I'm so sorry this has been such a long haul for you. I hope you can find some ways to feel less burdened. Be fucking as selfish as you can be and try not to worry about anyone else, but you. You are always worth it because you are your own best friend.

Actually, I think what people mean by saying 'get over it' is really 'don't dwell on it', something I have recently learned the long, hard way. I got divorced - he decided that I wasn't worth anything to him anymore, too. It took me MONTHS and MONTHS of just feeling totally deflated, numb and non-personish, before I started turning the corner. I'm pretty much all alone too, not really anyone to talk it all out seriously with. So I learned to stop dwelling on it. As soon as a thought came to mind, I turned it off. I refused to let it blossom into a full-fledged pity party (well, mostly). I became very selfishly self-indulgent. I do what I can to put a little joy in my life...mostly watch tv shows and movies, kill (lots) time on the computer, and catch up on my reading. It works for me. I have Turbo and Pico and work associates to keep me from feeling lonely. And I have really curtailed what used to be my high expectations for my life...at least for now.

I hope you can stay focused on the good things, no matter how little they are.

Btw, do you suffer pain a lot? I do, I have fibromyalgia. I take tramadol generic. It works great and is a is also a mood lifter. Maybe look into it? with discount card it shouldn't be expensive.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:03 PM   #9
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
So I learned to stop dwelling on it. As soon as a thought came to mind, I turned it off. I refused to let it blossom into a full-fledged pity party (well, mostly). I became very selfishly self-indulgent. I do what I can to put a little joy in my life...mostly watch tv shows and movies, kill (lots) time on the computer, and catch up on my reading. It works for me.
I can relate to this.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:14 PM   #10
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
And I lost touch with my friend from the other school, and I feel bad asking her because I feel like I'm using people when I ask for a reference...but my gawd I don't have TIME to do anything I should and I feel like a piece of shit.
My guess is that isn't how your request would be received. When someone asks me for a reference, I always feel a little pat on the back like they value my insight into their character.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:47 PM   #11
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

What DanaC said.

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:14 PM   #12
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

What Griff said.

Hell. I'll give you a good reference.

(I hope that didn't sound too needy on my part)
Old 08-03-2016, 09:57 PM   #13
monster
I hear them call the tide

Also what Griff said
Old 08-03-2016, 10:15 PM   #14
infinite monkey

Thanks everyone. I have so many thoughts/responses for each of you, but I'm under time constraint...on break at night job. So I'll just hit a few highlights.

Of course, I've always been, ahem, emotional but I see this schedule taking its toll. However, the upside is my night job is sometimes very physical, and that's helped. Though...in response to Pico...I don't think my pain is anything but the physical demands of the job coupled with my age. Which, sucks. I'm in way better shape than I was but feel I should be in way better shape than I am. But the score on the board is:

Metabolism: 0

As to the job and references, all your advice has helped me. I have applied for many jobs with the county and haven't gotten them so I think I'm a bit discouraged...and hated to keep asking people for references, which these days you need to have lined up when you apply, not when they request them if they are considering hiring you.

Dana, the job I want to apply for is actually a posted position. I think I would love it. It might be a dream job for me. Since I got so knocked around when I left the first college for the second, money isn't so much an issue anymore. I do need enough to survive, though. I just need to bite the bullet on this one, get my references together, tweak my existing resume and cover letter, and do it.

And life is still pretty good. I have good times. Pico, I'm sorry to hear about your divorce. I am like you, though...always with the books and movies. Books mostly on my Friday mornings off, movies after work on Friday and weekends. That part of being alone I don't mind so much.

I think I just get tired of dealing with life alone.

I feel pretty upset about my friend. I felt like "yeah, so the person who knows me better than anyone hates me." Rings true to 'if people really know you they won't like you' mindset I have. It really hurt. Again. So I come here and vent, and I figure out...once again, that I've been myself here more than anywhere else over the years. And here y'all are being supportive. I can't even say what that means to me. There really isn't any way to put it into words. Except thanks.

I needed that.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:13 AM   #15
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

What Griff said, being asked for a reference makes a person feel smug and important. It's a compliment.
And just because the ex-friend was in your life for a long period of time does not mean he knew you best. Nor that his opinion of you is at all valid.

sent by thought transference