The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 04-10-2018, 03:26 PM   #1
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Out and about with my Fanny 2018

So we are attempting our first Grand Tour with Fanny. The itinerary is Arran, Cumbria, Dorset, Cotswolds, Cumbria, Arran, taking just over a week.
Previously our trips have been to a specific location with stops en route as required by driving time/distance.
This trip was rather compromised by the fact that the new gas cooker we had fitted last June has developed a leak and the replacement (under warranty) did not arrive before we set off. Nor did the substitute electrical gadgets I ordered in a last minute panic.
First stop, Shap, Cumbria (you Yanks’ll have to get the gazetteer out!). As I’d been a little late in booking the ferry we left later than I’d hoped, and arrived at our chosen (small) campsite at 9.30pm. After dark. And no-one was home. So we just drove into the most likely looking field in the dark, located an electric hook-up point using our head torches and began to setup. Site owners came home about 10 minutes later and came over to welcome us.
This sort of site is my favourite: space for 5 or so caravans or RVs, or 10 tents. Electric hook-up, shower and loos available but not much else. A spare field on a farm or by a rural house.
We left by 8.30 next morning, and paused for an excellent cooked breakfast at the best service station in the UK (ask anyone), Tebay. Also picked up a top notch dinner to reheat later.
Second stop, Sixpenny Handley, Dorset. A larger, more commercial site with a number of holiday statics (small by US standards) and spaces for tourers and tents. Could have perhaps 100 pitches or so. Not busy at all. Slightly laissez faire site owner. Local pub totally deserted, local bar in recreation centre (sports club) bursting with customers and merriment. Excellent beer.
I’m coping with the catering handicaps by using a low voltage oven thingy and this heated our Thai green chicken curry dinner a treat! We stayed at this site for three nights. The two full days were spent at a wedding, and visiting a friend in hospital.
Stop 3, the Cotswolds. Both Dorset and the Cotswolds are renowned tourist areas in the UK. I know Dorset quote well, but the Cotswolds are new to me, so it’s nice to get a chance to poke about a little in a new area.
We’re here for a couple of nights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2018, 04:01 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Trippin'...
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2018, 03:03 PM   #3
limey

When we were in Dorset we found ourselves in Salisbury just in time to be at Choral Evensong. We’re not religious but we like the music so we hustled in and got a seat.
The service was to mark the centenary of the founding of the RAF. I can only assume it was one of many such, as if it was the only one surely some royalty should have been present? Maybe Carruthers can shed some light on this?
Anyhow, all Church of England cathedrals have their own choir, and many are very good. Many cathedrals have special choir schools attached to them, and in the school holidays the choir is, naturally, given a break. So, how do you offer choral evensong if your choir is on holiday? I know you have all lain awake through the small hours worrying about this, but the answer is quite simple.
There is choral evensong flashmob, of course. Not a visiting choir, as such, but a bunch of random musicians from all over the country who get together when and where required (re-choired?) to do the necessary. Isn’t that amazing!

Old 04-11-2018, 05:48 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Wow, Evensong Flashmob, that is amazing.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:33 AM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

That is too cool.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:04 AM   #6
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

How come we don't see that Fanny? How big is it?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:36 AM   #7
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

big enough to get most of your junk in
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:52 AM   #8
limey

Here she is! With a couple of interior shots.

Sent by magick
Old 04-12-2018, 01:51 PM   #9
limey

And here we are back at Shap. Under a sporadically noisy rookery. With a couple of camper vans in the field. About to eat toad in the hole. Having had some rather delicious apricot beer!

Sent by magick
Old 04-14-2018, 01:16 PM   #10
limey

Out and about with my Fanny 2018

So after 976 miles of driving with my Fanny in tow we got home at 10.30 last night, after dark. By far the most nerve wracking bit of the drive was reversing Fanny up onto our small, fenced on three sides, parking space without flattening the fence or Mr Limey, who got out to help.
The trouble is that Mr Limey is, I think, unable to judge distances* so his help is not helpful. He always tells me to stop at the moment of (gentle) impact when I'm reversing towards Fanny to hook up, for example. I've asked him to let me know earlier but so far without success. Also I've suggested he demonstrate how the gap between car and fanny is shrinking using his two hands moving together and that doesn’t work either. Frankly I find the reverse warning beeper more effective. But I don't want to hurt his feelings. Any suggestions as to how to manage this better are welcomed.

* This may ba a family failing as his sister declares this is why she doesn't drive. Or it may be any aspergers thing ....

Sent by magick

Last edited by limey; 04-17-2018 at 04:47 PM.
limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:15 PM   #11
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

*applauds*

It's like we've been on the trip with you

I do love the thread title - I flip between hearing it in a Julian Clary voice (a la Fanny the Wonderdog), or reading it as Myfanwy :P
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:14 PM   #12
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

wireless reverse camera for trailers $200

there are cheaper versions too saw one for $109 with night vision. Might be worth looking into
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:13 PM   #13
limey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
wireless reverse camera for trailers $200

there are cheaper versions too saw one for $109 with night vision. Might be worth looking into

That’s certainly a solution. But I manage quite well when I have to back up to Fanny on my own to hitch up. I can line up OK, the beeper tells me when I’m near enough, I stop and, if necessary, pull Fanny forward manually to complete the manoeuvre. So I need to work out a tactful way of explaining to Mr L that I do better without his help ....

Old 04-16-2018, 08:32 PM   #14
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

give him a different job.

at a minimum, let him stand there and gesture wildly, whilst you manoeuvre with your eyes closed or focused on something else and your ears open for the useful beeper.

whilst and manoeuvre -- double word score
Old 04-16-2018, 09:24 PM   #15
monster
I hear them call the tide

make him stand between you and the obstacle?