The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 02-26-2013, 06:23 AM   #4951
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Emotions and adrenaline run high for these youngsters when they're playing. For older sports people too, but as a youngling it's a lot to handle.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:59 AM   #4952
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Huh. MY ex was living his life thru our son.

When my son left Toledo (erg) and a football scholarship I was so relieved. Football fucks you up, you know. Look at all the head injuries, intentional thug behavior on field and off----I was GLAD he quit. All he said was, "I was tired of getting hit," which sums it up pretty nicely. He'd been playing since pee-wee.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #4953
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I see a lot more sportsmanship on football fields than I do in a lot of so-called 'non-contact' sports.

And though there are injuries, football keeps innovating padding and safety. Here's a list of penalties, if'n interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penalty_(gridiron_football)

Case in point: the penalty is so high for a facemask (15 yards, auto first down) because you can break someone's freaking neck!

Just like Little Miss A Lot To Learn could have done by shoving that other girl so violently.

Rugby? My brother played that too. Much more dangerous. Mom wouldn't go watch him play (wouldn't watch me skydive, either.)

My brother went to college on a football scholarship, they sent him for his master's (at a very nice school) while he was grad asst football coach.

He is highly successful, smart, and all the pieces of his head are there.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #4954
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I'm glad it worked out for your brother.

I was glad my son quit.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 02-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #4955
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

*shrugs*

Sports will probably get my niece to the Olympics, at this rate. Maybe two or more of them with athletic AND academic achievement scholarhips.

Sports was and is important in my family...but only if you WANT to. The girls beg my brother and sissy law to practice with them. And they do. And they're good. And they have class and grace. Go figure.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #4956
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

FREE DOG.

Pepper (our anxiety ridden dog) chewed a hole in one of my two nursing bras. These things are expensive! Why couldn't you pick something from Target out of the laundry basket?!
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #4957
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
*shrugs*

Sports will probably get my niece to the Olympics, at this rate. Maybe two or more of them with athletic AND academic achievement scholarhips.

Sports was and is important in my family...but only if you WANT to. The girls beg my brother and sissy law to practice with them. And they do. And they're good. And they have class and grace. Go figure.
Make up your mind, what's it gonna be - have class and grace or be an Olympic athlete? Unless I'm forgetting someone.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #4958
Griff
still says videotape

Nadia?
Old 02-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #4959
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Nadia and Zola in a cage match?
Old 02-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #4960
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Peggy Fleming?

Infini--I;m not making a case for pro or anti athletics. I was just telling what I saw/heard at tournaments, etc. and that I am glad my son got out because his father was the one who really pushed him from the minute he could walk to play, and he did play from pee wee up to college---football, baseball and basketball. He was good; not Olympic good and as for class and grace I'm not sure what you mean there.

There are different paths and choices===doesn't mean one is more meaningful than the other. He quit because he wanted to and I (not his dad) honored that choice and was glad for it. Your brother had a different experience...why do I get the feeling I'm being misunderstood for all the wrong reasons?

Why is this getting to be so hard and so exhausting when it used to be fun and light?

Why is everything a competition, anyway?

I'm crying again. I don't want any more.

—James Barrie

Old 02-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #4961
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Aww Tril, things aren't that bad. I think you are reading more into this mini debate than you should.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #4962
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby View Post

Why is this getting to be so hard and so exhausting when it used to be fun and light?
First, check to see if your brakes are rubbing the rims. If not, your tire pressure might be low or you are riding on hot, fresh pavement. If it's none of those things you may be dehydrated or just hungry. The sun and heat can take their toll.

Or you could just be a couch potato.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #4963
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I'm reading more into everything than I should.

tonight, i feel very akin to jbk. i feel like a death star. Radioactive. Burnt wires.

I took some sleeping pills to help me. I want to lie in bed, with my palms up, and ask/want nothing. I've given up. I'm not a happy me; and I LIKED the happy me, it was work but it was worth it but now I see how silly and futile it's been. I've been a chump for fifty years believing in ghosts and love and ether. I've been wasteful and stupid.

—James Barrie

Old 02-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #4964
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
First, check to see if your brakes are rubbing the rims. If not, your tire pressure might be low or you are riding on hot, fresh pavement. If it's none of those things you may be dehydrated or just hungry. The sun and heat can take their toll.

Or you could just be a couch potato.
thanks. Insightful.

—James Barrie

Old 02-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #4965
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

trilby, we all have highs and lows. remember you have friends who think the world of you. smile and think of that very personal and intimate package i have mailed you.

Tags
mild cheddar